How to keep pebbles out of my shoes during a trail run (Read 153 times)

degregorius

I've signed up for a 5-mile trail run on Dec. 9th on the Des Plaines River Trail.  I did a practice run on the trail to get used to the conditions.  I had to stop every few minutes to take off my shoes and remove stuff that found its way under my heel.

Assuming the trail isn't covered with snow on Dec. 9th, I assume I'll be dealing with stuff getting in my shoes.

Is there a way to keep this from happening?  Tape? Special leggings?

Or is there no way?

oldfartrunner

You could try some Gaiters. Smile  I always get at least one it seems but usually it settles in the shoe in a way so it don't bother me. I like thicker socks and ones that go above the ankle-not no show, or compression- but don't know if that makes a difference, but might.

https://runnerclick.com/best-trail-running-gaiters-reviewed/

I have only done 3 trail races, but one was a 50M and another a 6 hr race (the other one was just a 5K), and I didn't have to stop and take off my shoes during any of them (I did have very dirty feet after the two long races). If you are really having to stop every few minutes to remove something from under your heel, sounds odd to me. Are there holes in the shoes or something?

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

HappyFeat

NTS - I have the same problem as degregorius. I can be running on a paved bike trail and STILL bits of gravel end up inside my shoes and fir tree needles stick through my socks like needles. I often stop more than I'd like to shake out painful little rocks.  I tough it out on the bike trail, but for off-road running, I wear gaiters.  I even wear them with HIKING boots if I'm wearing shorts because it is that much of a problem for me. Absolutely no one else I've ever run or hiked with has this same problem.  I think it is something about my gait that causes one foot to throw up debris into the other shoe. I had a podiatrist tell me once that I was a "spinner" whatever that meant.

So - obviously - I recommend you wear gaiters for your trail running, degregorius. You'll enjoy the experience a lot more.

Go as long as you can, and then take another step.

degregorius

IAre there holes in the shoes or something?

No holes in the soles.  I don't know if it's my stride that causes stuff to get in.  I'll look into gaiters.

kkittenkat

English Villian

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here (apologies if not).

BUT this thread made me think 'run in wellies' (as a joke of course), but interestingly...

https://thesports.physio/2017/04/09/just-run-a-guest-blog-by-damian-thacker/

Elite Jogger

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here (apologies if not).

BUT this thread made me think 'run in wellies' (as a joke of course), but interestingly...

https://thesports.physio/2017/04/09/just-run-a-guest-blog-by-damian-thacker/

Interesting read...but no follow up to say if his Guinness WR attempt was successful....(he would’ve needed a Sub 4:30 )

Unfortunately, I’m allergic to trails and pebbles and have no advice to offer.

5k - 17:53 (2019)   10k - 37:53 (2018)   Half - 1:23:18 (2019)   Full - 2:50:43 (2019)

kkittenkat

English Villian

Interesting read...but no follow up to say if his Guinness WR attempt was successful....(he would’ve needed a Sub 4:30 )

Unfortunately, I’m allergic to trails and pebbles and have no advice to offer.

Very doable don't you think?

Elite Jogger

Very doable don't you think?

Absolutely, I think you should give it a shot next year. 

5k - 17:53 (2019)   10k - 37:53 (2018)   Half - 1:23:18 (2019)   Full - 2:50:43 (2019)

kkittenkat

English Villian

I just might! (Seriously, I might).

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Yep, gaiters.  Dirty Girl is a popular brand, made specifically for trail running (light, stretchy, many patterns and colors, adhere to running shoes using velcro on the heel - supplied with the gaiters, you just need to attach it to your shoes - and a hook on the laces).  If you google the brand, though, be sure to include 'gaiters' or you may want to scrub your search history... 

PRs: 10 1:12:59 (4/2014) 13.1 1:35:55 (10/2013) 26.2 3:23:31 (12/2013)

bloggy stuff at http://ilanarama.dreamwidth.org

HappyFeat

I got these these Outdoor Research "Sparkplug" gaiters this past year and love them for trail running. Sounds like they are similar to the Dirty Girl in style. They pull on, and attach to the heel with a velcro strip and the leading shoelace with a hook.

https://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-sparkplug-gaiter?skid=ODR000W-BK-SM&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6b3V0ZG9vciByZXNlYXJjaCA6MTo1Om91dGRvb3IgcmVzZWFyY2gg

The pair in my avatar pic are an REI house brand from years ago. They are heavy weight and have a cord that runs under the arch, and close by a velcro strip up the front. There are different styles and levels of durability in gaiters. Go to an outdoor or sporting goods store to try them on with your shoes if you can.

Go as long as you can, and then take another step.

Yep.....Dirty Girl and OR I think seem to be the most widely popular.  For certain models I have seen Inov8 has a gaiter.  I even think Altra makes one.  My measurements, per the Dirty Girl website, were off their charts, so I just opted to make my own.  I do a ton of backpacking and hiking and always get shit in my shoes.  Last year I decided to take on a DIY project and make a knock-off of the Dirty Girl style, using spandex material, Velcro, and Shoe Goo and they came out AWESOME!!!  Now I use them also for the minimal trail running I do.  No more issues with debris in the shoes!!!  If you are DIY-inclined and have access to a sewing machine, you can go to YouTube and Google to find how to do that.  Materials will cost you less than $10 US.

Here is one Blog that is a how-to for simple gaiters.  I made one pair using these tips and then made a second pair from what I learned on the first.........took me less than two hours tops and now I have a pattern and will never need to buy these ever again.   https://thegillianlife.wordpress.com/2015/02/11/trail-fashion-diy-gaiter-project/

✔ Think of setting 2013 goals.

Stop being a fat slob.

Run more miles than last year.

Dirty Girl Gaiters!  They're inexpensive and come in great colors. I wear my hot pink ones at every race!

Image may contain: shoes

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Rich Roll Podcast

Trail Runner Nation

Billy Yang Podcasts

Coastal

Dirty Girl Gaiters!  They're inexpensive and come in great colors. I wear my hot pink ones at every race!

Image may contain: shoes

+1.  Treat them with waterproofing such as Nik-Wax wash-in waterproofing and they become decently water resistant, at least mine do.