What do you use for running at dusk/night so people know you are on the road? (Read 933 times)

Baby bean!

Just trying to get some ideas for when we go out and we don't have the sun like we do now. Thanks! Big grin

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a vest from Illuminite - http://www.illuminite.com/ When running in the very middle of the night, I also wear a blinker if on a real road.
        A yellow, reflective, mesh vest (about $12 at local running store) and an Everedy headlamp ($12-$13 at Wal-Mart).

Why is it sideways?

I dress like Johnny so they won't run me down. Better to see than to be seen.

I use a reflective vest, wear a head lamp, and have a red blinking light attached to my street side arm. Depending upon where I'm running I may not wear all of that, but near my house I usually do if running at night. Small shoulders and traffic don't mix well otherwise. On trails I just wear the head lamp. http://www.runtowin.com/tips/running-in-the-dark.html

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

TJoseph

I have a reflective orange mesh vest. I carry a small flashlight in my hand.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I never use a headlamp and almost never use a flashlight. On the darkest of nights, you can still usually see the road once your eyes adjust. In fact, I find that I see better with adjusted eyes than I do while trying to squint at the tiny beam of light the flashlight affords. In the dark, I have great peripheral vision, even if it is mostly shadow. And when I run on city or neighborhood streets there is almost always a street light every 100 feet or so.

Why is it sideways?

I thought the flashlight was so others can see you.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I thought the flashlight was so others can see you.
                    No, silly, that is what the reflective vest and the blinkers are for.

Why is it sideways?

Oh.
                      runnerclay

Consistently Slow

In Atlanta ,we do not just hit pedestrians we kill them. #1 in 2007. I use a headlight and a sometimes a vest. Be safe.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

In my neighborhood with lots of street lights & sidewalks...not much. I put the backlight on my garmin on, you can see that for an amazingly long time - I've spotted my running p almost a mile away by the flash of the backlight. I also have a reflective vest that I only wear if i am leaving the lit sidewalky part of the neighborhood. If it is dark out and a car is coming towards me I move to the sidewalk until it passes. For night races I wear a reflective vest and a headlamp, both are required. I also wear them when running in really really dark conditions or if there is no sidewalk available. The headlamp is so they can see me, not so I can see.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I dress like Johnny so they won't run me down. Better to see than to be seen.
                            This is my preferred method, too. But I usually leave the guitar at home. I like to bring my water bottle instead.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Old, Slow, Happy

I wear a "highway workers" vest when it's not too hot. When it's hot, I don't wear anything (to help me be visible). I just get out of the way. I never carry anything to help me see. I can see good enough without light.
                                I went for my first really late evening run, around 11pm. Those back country roads can get rather dark! I just wore my pt belt (It has a reflective stripe) and I think the couple cars that passed saw me...I think I might add a vest next time though!