alcohol and running (Read 1590 times)

runcdrun

I've just started running a few months ago. I've ran a 5k and now training for a 10k. What are your opinions on drinking alcohol while training? If you do drink, how many days before a race do you stop if at all?
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've just started running a few months ago. I've ran a 5k and now training for a 10k. What are your opinions on drinking alcohol while training? If you do drink, how many days before a race do you stop if at all?
      Stop, lol? I like the name of the group, "Drinkers with a Running Problem." A good philosphy of life, I think.
      mikeymike

I'm in favor of it.

Runners run

Rim Rock Dad

As long as you don't drink like a fish, you should be fine. Wink Just don't drink like a fish. Its no fun if you have to run the next day! Big grin
          James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart
            Will run for beer. The weather in Boston is darned cold today, and has me dreaming of warm Tuesday nights on the patio at Hookslide Kelly's with running buds and cold Buds. Mmmm, beer.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

obiebyke

Yeah, just offset the alcohol consumption with lots and lots of water consumption, since booze is dehydrating. But SO SO good!!! (Says the kid who just got back from the gym and is checking RA before heading to the bar Big grin)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Blush

obiebyke

Blush

obiebyke

Holy hell! My cat just walked across the keyboard and created that amazing triple post. Shocked Roll eyes Anyone know how to delete? Sorry...

Len

Damn Yankee

I'm thinking maybe obie has already been to the bar. Wink

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Rim Rock Dad

ROFLMAO Big grin

jfa

Maybe the cat was at the bar ...... Undecided

Rim Rock Dad

I think I just blew my beer out of my nose... Shocked
                              Trial and error with drinking during training, in my experience. I've learned what my body doesn't like the night before a race - definitely NOT a few beers and a buffalo chicken cheese steak. Since drinking affects me the next day, without fail Sad - I've had to plan any kind of party nights for when I know I won't be running the next day, or when I won't run till late in the day. I tend to take way too long to rehydrate.

Michelle

I think I just blew my beer out of my nose... Shocked
                                That's gotta burn, just a little. Big grin

Michelle