It's the end of REM as we know it (Read 917 times)

U2 ticked me off by counting at the beginning of Vertigo in spanish.

14?!

So you were okay with them from 1981-2004?
      Why did that create a link?
      xor

So you were okay with them from 1981-2004?

Well, I've never been a big U2 fan either (though I am supposed to be), but I never thought they outright sucked.  He just ticked me off with the weird counting. HA.

But REM?  Sucks.  Michael Stipe's singing is annoying, their lyrics are fake-meaningful, and eh.  Can't get into it.  I saw them in concert once. Only once.  In concert, Michael Stipe was extra douchey.

Plus, if I recall correctly, there was some awards ceremony... grammys I assume... where Stipe went up on stage wearing a bazillion layers of t-shirts. Each with a message.  As he delivered his thank yous, he removed shirt after shirt. So we could see each message.

Shut up, Stipehole.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude.

It's just music.

Why is it sideways?

Yeah, I like REM--more than U2. But lately I've been on a Jane's Addiction kick.

I know I'm getting old because I have no idea who is popular now among the youth.

xor

Dude.

It's just music.

Tell Michael Stipe that!  GAH! HAHAHA

As for what's "in" today. Yeah.  My music brain filled up in the mid 90s.  I can tell Stone Temple Pilots from Alice in Chains from Pearl Jam from Soundgarden... but all of today's stuff sounds the same.

And (this is a repeat from facebook), I haven't figured out yet why it is soooo cool to hate Nickelback.  For the record, I don't really like them... but I don't understand the level of hatred.  They sound like 10 other bands to me.

Get off my lawn, Michael Stipe.

I sorta liked rem til my buddy and I (both marines) drove to Charlotte Nc to see a show. Stipes spent a fair amount of time bad mouthing the military in general and marines in particular. Kinda stupid I think since there must have been a few thousand jarheads and soldiers there being that the show was in between ft Bragg and lejeune.... Thought stipes was a dbag ever since.

I was a big fan of the old school REM stuff, the new stuff not so much. I only posted the link because I thought they were already done a few years ago. Plus (for Doug) I stole the thread title from the video of the song embedded in the article and thought it was funny.

But lately I've been on a Jane's Addiction kick.

Me too. She gets her dinner from her pocket.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

xor

I want some beer.

I don't want to pay for it.

Ostrich runner

But lately I've been on a Jane's Addiction kick.

I like their version of Sympathy for the Devil so much better than the original.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Count me among those who never liked REM and didn't even know they were still a band.

Also count me among those who could listen to Jane's Addiction pretty much every day and not get tired of it.

And Nickelback does suck.  Dude sounds fucking constipated.  Take some milk of magnesia, already.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

beat

Break on through

REM's "Feeling Gravity's Pull" is one of my favorite songs.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Dude.

It's just music.

I must disagree with this. To me, this is akin to saying "It's just running" or "It's just beer".

Also, I'll stick up for REM. I think they made at least a few absolutely great records. Were they consistently great over their entire run as a band? Nope, but I can't think of any bands that can claim that kind of consistency.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

While many people defined the 1980s by MTV and garbage like the Culture Club, Thomson Twins, Men without Hats and Pet Shop Boys, bands like R.E.M., U2, The Cure, The Pixies, The Replacements, Elvis Costello and The Smiths were emblematic of the mid 80s college radio scene (outside of punk). All these bands but particularly R.E.M.'s IRS releases during that time were daring in the sense that it was album rock in a time of music video overload. I did see R.E.M. once live and they kinda sucked. Others I know that saw them in a smaller venue said they were great. But I can still listen to Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, and Life's Rich Pageant today. 

Stipe has always been a weirdo and R.E.M. has created some real clunkers (Up, Around the Sun). But outside of following the Grateul Dead around, they and the above bands pretty much define 1980s music to me. Much of the music I like now is becoming less and less relevant. So I guess that's what this announcement kinda means to me. They haven't been really relevant in a decade. And I feel a little older today.

And outside of what my daughters listen to (Lady Gaga, Carrier Underwood, Serena Lopez), I have little knowledge of what's popular. 

keeponrunning

I kind of like REM, but I'm as big on them as I am some other bands, or especially a great blues/jazz master.  I'd take REM over most (all?) of today's popular music (although I know of a few lesser-known bands that are great).  I was having a discussion last night with a student why Katy Perry is garbage, but she just could not understand it.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022