When running stops being fun.... (Read 349 times)

Running has become a chore for me lately.  It is not as relaxing as it used to be and I think the cause is my new technology; it is a double-edged sword. While I love the data, it seems to kill some of the joy.

I'm curious if you think the "quantitative" side of running hinders the spiritual side? I found that since EVERYTHING is so easily measurable now (steps, calories, splits, ect), my focus is on that and running has lost some of its fun. This past weekend, I left the watch in the car and went on a long and leisurely run. With no results in mind, I finished more relaxed and refreshed. Perhaps letting go of the “economical” side of exercise will enhance the “spiritual” and "relaxing" side of exercise. Any thoughts?

https://runningspirituality.wordpress.com/

https://runningspirituality.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/doing-versus-being/

jfa

You have the right idea. Leave the watch at home. Think back to when you started running and what it was that made it fun. Go back to there if you can. Take the dog. Go find new interesting routes.

After a marathon training cycle is over, this is what I do. Make it simple. Or maybe, just take a little time off. If you can !!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My own personal rule is that the first run or two after a race, I run without my Garmin. I will do the odd run in training without the watch too. What I have never made peace with is the heart rate monitor; I can't ever run with one because I can't just ignore it on the run like I can my Garmin.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

BeeRunB

The technology and stats has always been part of the fun for me. As for spiritual side of running, running is no more spiritual than being in a relationship with my wife, drawing, making music, or pretty much any part of my life which I consider a whole experience and creation, and an expression of my spirit. Please don't try to take my statsahol away. I need, I neeeed....

DoppleBock

I never loved running as much as when I could no longer do it much.  Change it up ... track somehting else ... maybe only a goal of how much elevation you can do per week.

I work with numbers for a living, but have never owned a GPS watch, I do not "Map my Run" - I only generally know how far & fast I have went.  I was always perfectly happy in a strange town running 80 minutes in one direction, turning around and calling it a 20 miler.  19 or 21 who the hell cares.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I agree with what everyone else has written.   We've all gone thru tough cycles and I do think all the analysis and 'watch' watching can sometimes get in the way of fun.

Remember its only one foot then the other - then repeat a few thousand times.....everything else is a detail.

I can tell you that the less I think about it the more I like it.........I do have a cheap Soleus watch that only gives me time and distance and I try not to look at it while I'm running......

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'll wear my watch and download the data, but don't feel an obligation to look at it if I don't have time. Also good to change things up with different routes, different workouts, different activities, whatever.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

an amazing likeness

Link spam...

Hi everyone,

Training, racing, crossing the line, and recovery have become practically religious experiences for me. I am starting my first blog to share some of the spiritual aspect of running.

After 12 marathons, I feel like I have been "reborn to run!"

Check it out and please add your own experiences.

https://runningspirituality.wordpress.com/

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

BeeRunB

Link spam...

Excellent research, Andy.

Hey all,

I did post similar questions in other forums that I belong to but the question is genuine.  I appreciate the feedback that other runners have given me. In the future, I'll only post in one forum and not include any links.  My apologies.

Thanks!

I'll wear my watch and download the data, but don't feel an obligation to look at it if I don't have time. Also good to change things up with different routes, different workouts, different activities, whatever.

+1

or with different people

NHLA

My last slump was caused by a high ankle sprain that would not heal.

I ran by time alone on routes where I didn't know distance. There are a maze of one lane rds on the mt.  that are not thru rds. so I ran them all.

Last slump I ran to the top of every mountain I could see from Jump Off Rock. You can see 50 miles of the Blue Ridge so this takes years.

No more marathons

I see that I have a whole different thought about running that do most (all) of you that responded.

I don't really like to run, never did.

I do it mainly because it's something I can do regularly that fits into my work schedule (I run at lunch), I'm reasonable good at it - so it fills my need for a competitive outlet, and I can multitask while running - I listen to books on tape.

If I had my druthers, I'd be playing tennis, racquetball, or basketball to get my exercise and fill my need for competition.  But for right now, running is the best alternative.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Mee tooo.  I used to be completely old skool and never run with watches, gps or even map my runs.  Then I went to the dark side.  Muahhaaa.  Love the GPS now and the satisfaction that comes when it beeps off another mile.   I use it for biking too.  Fun stuff.

Technology doesn't ruin the spiritual nature of exercise for me.  Unless you stare at the equipment nonstop, it enhances the experience IMO.

The technology and stats has always been part of the fun for me. As for spiritual side of running, running is no more spiritual than being in a relationship with my wife, drawing, making music, or pretty much any part of my life which I consider a whole experience and creation, and an expression of my spirit. Please don't try to take my statsahol away. I need, I neeeed....

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Nothing wrong with that attitude either.  Running is certainly a good way to get exercise in a compact timeframe.  It can get you into better cardiovascular shape for other sports too...

I see that I have a whole different thought about running that do most (all) of you that responded.

I don't really like to run, never did.

I do it mainly because it's something I can do regularly that fits into my work schedule (I run at lunch), I'm reasonable good at it - so it fills my need for a competitive outlet, and I can multitask while running - I listen to books on tape.

If I had my druthers, I'd be playing tennis, racquetball, or basketball to get my exercise and fill my need for competition.  But for right now, running is the best alternative.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt