I ran 18 Miles this past weekend for June 3rd Marathon! (Read 941 times)

My two friends and I ran our 18 mile run this past weekend. It was a struggle but all three of us made it. We each took 2 gels and had 4 spots to get a drink during different points in the run. When we were finished our bodies were screaming at us for the rest of the day. I feel like this long distance running is torcher on the body. By the end we were dying, but as I said we made it. We will run a 21 miler and thantwill be our last long run before the marathon. I cant believe we have actually run 18 Miles! It seems so amazing. Only 8 more miles to finish the marathon. Can we make it? I know we can, but it makes me nervous thinking about it. At the end of all these long runs you feel like you couldnt hardly take another step.

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

Pretty soon you'll say things like "sure, I'll run a half-marathon, it's ONLY 13.1 miles." Big grin Modified to add: The excitement will carry you through those extra miles.

Michelle

JakeKnight

Way to go, Tiger! Are you running San Diego? If so - I am so very jealous. You'll be ready. It's going to hurt worse than you could imagine - but you'll do it. Without a doubt.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Good work. I took the liberty of glancing at your log. I notice that your 18 miler was one of only three runs this past week and your longest run in about a month. I think one of the major keys to success (and to a nonsucky marathon experience) is consistency. Is it possible to increase your running to 4 times per week, week in and week out, with a long run every other weekend and a medium run on the alternating weekends? That may make your long runs and your goal race easier.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...with a long run every other weekend and a medium run on the alternating weekends? That may make your long runs and your goal race easier.
            I have long been wondering about this. Is it better to have a long run every weekend, or every-other? I usually try to do a long one every weekend, but with the race I did last weekend I haven't had a long one in over 2 weeks. I will be going out for my longest run (at least 16 miles/3 hours, if all goes as planned) in just a bit--my last long run before my 25k in less than 2 weeks. TW, good luck on your marathon--is it also in 2 weekends? I think you guys are gonna do great! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Good work. I took the liberty of glancing at your log. I notice that your 18 miler was one of only three runs this past week and your longest run in about a month. I think one of the major keys to success (and to a nonsucky marathon experience) is consistency. Is it possible to increase your running to 4 times per week, week in and week out, with a long run every other weekend and a medium run on the alternating weekends? That may make your long runs and your goal race easier.
              I couldn't agree more. This was exactly the mistake I made training for last year's CMM: I ran the long runs, but not enough mileage, and not anywhere near enough consistency on a daily basis. It was a bad mistake, I think. My log from Jan-April 2006 provides a pretty good picture of what not to do. Trent gave you some really, really good advice. This is absolutely the key - especially about the "nonsucky" part. I think one of the major keys to success (and to a nonsucky marathon experience) is consistency.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I couldn't agree more. This was exactly the mistake I made training for last year's CMM: I ran the long runs, but not enough mileage, and not anywhere near enough consistency on a daily basis. It was a bad mistake, I think. My log from Jan-April 2006 provides a pretty good picture of what not to do.
                Man, you ain't kiddin'. I think I'm running more miles now than you were at that point--and there is no way in heck that I would contemplate running a marathon at this stage in the game. How did you do those weeks with one short run and one long? Those long runs must have been positively excruciating! k

~ Sarah Kay

I was wondering about when and how often for long and medium runs. Good points Trent.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do your long runs every other weekend or two out of every three weekends. Do your medium runs on the other weekends. Long runs SHOULD be no more than 1/3 of your total weekly milage. Medium runs should be no more than 1/5 of your total weekly milage from your high weeks. These are meant for recovery. All long runs should be run easy (this was my mistake this cycle), except maybe in the last 1/3 of the run. So, if you are running 45 mile weeks on your primary weeks, you should be running long runs of 15 miles and medium runs of about 9 miles. Most of us actually run long runs closer to 1/2 our total weekly milage (i.e., 18-20 miles) and our medium runs closer to 1/4 (i.e., 12 miles). As long as you are running them nice and easily, this should be okay. I would not pound out the last 1/3 of the run unless your total weekly milage is higher tho.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Most of us actually run long runs closer to 1/2 our total weekly milage (i.e., 18-20 miles) and our medium runs closer to 1/4 (i.e., 12 miles). As long as you are running them nice and easily, this should be okay. I would not pound out the last 1/3 of the run unless your total weekly milage is higher tho.
                      Yeah, I generally have my long runs as closer to 1/2 of my mileage. This Summer I am hoping to run the same miles I am now, but spread over 5 runs, rather than only 4. I may start doing only 2-3 long runs/month, as you suggested, too. k

~ Sarah Kay

http://www.freewebs.com/run4life/RA/springChallenge.htm

just wanted to cheer you on! Those really long runs are 99% mental. Good for you working it out! There's a lot of great advice here. Good luck, I'll be there june 3rd too...as will SpinDr! Cool

Jennifer mm#1231

madness baby

I'm glad to hear your training is still going so well. You're going to have a great time out there, even though it hurts! Even though you're feeling tired after your long run, sometimes it feels great to do a really easy 2-3 miles a day or two after. It seemed to help my recovery, even though I thought my body was yelling at me to stop. In this case, I don't think the "listen to your body" rule works very well. Similarly, I like to do a short easy run the day before my long runs. Have a safe trip out here and enjoy the race! Smile
                            deb

madness baby

my little computer wasn't getting enough action so it posted twice. Wink
                              deb

Imminent Catastrophe

All long runs should be run easy (this was my mistake this cycle), except maybe in the last 1/3 of the run.
                                Amen. If you're sore and tired for several days afterward then you are doing your long runs too hard, or else you're not quite ready for an 18-miler. Either way, you're asking for trouble. Edited to add: I looked at your log, and I agree with the previous posts, you're just not getting enough consistency. You've run just two or three days per week, that's just not enough IMHO. There are some three day per week training plans but they utilize a LOT of crosstraining on non-running days.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016