Help! Advice needed for runners knee (Read 38 times)

angela.burns

Hello!  I am training for my first half marathon.  I have lightly ran throughout most of my adult life and have recently really fallen in love with it.  I am using the Nike Running Club app for my training plan and am on week 8 out of 14 with 10 weeks until the half marathon.  I have done all but one run on the treadmill.  I wear Salomon running shoes, and when I run on the treadmill, I have it set to a light incline.  I have been fighting some runners knee in both knees, and now the pain has dropped into the arch of one of my feet.  My last long run was 8 miles, and this was two days ago.  This outdoor run went great, with only mild knee pain.  The foot pain started yesterday.  I am using heat and ice and just purchased a foam roller.  I have also been stretching my quads and hips, I also do yoga everyday.  Today, between my knees and foot, even walking is painful.  I am desperate to get this figured out and am looking for guidance from an experienced runner.  I am so excited to be part of this sport, and I'm determined to get my knee and foot pain figured out.  I am not wanting to take time off to rest, as I am on a set schedule to be prepared for the half marathon.  Any information or guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

I'll volunteer to be the first Debbie Downer to let you know that if you're in so much pain that it hurts even to walk, you're going to have to take some time off to heal.

With an 8 mile run behind you, and without the pain, you could run a half marathon today.  Your time will be slower than if you had completed the training plan.  Trying to run through pain will just make it worse until you cannot run at all.

There is nothing magical about a training plan.  I ran part of a marathon with a young woman that did no training at all.  At mile 24, she took off and left me in her dust.  She did say that she would be sore for a week after the race.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If you are not willing to take time off to heal, you are heading for worse. Training discomfort is one thing. Pain is a sign something is wrong and if it is getting worse, quit trying to self diagnose and go to the doctor.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The good news is that once you are an experienced runner, you can pretty much complete a half marathon whenever you want. Therefore there will be numerous opportunities down the road. If you look at this from a distance or a few years down the line, 1 race isn't really that big of a deal or worth losing months because you didn't want to take a few weeks off. Just trying to offer perspective and encouragement.

Luciplay

If you are not willing to take time off to heal, you are heading for worse. Training discomfort is one thing. Pain is a sign something is wrong and if it is getting worse, quit trying to self diagnose and go to the doctor.

I agree, it is better to rest than to have more injuries.

SMART Approach

You are "under recovering" and your body is talking to you. Please listen to it if you want this to be a lifetime sport for you. You cannot rush the process.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Betty256

spam
                  angela.burns

Thanks for the information and honesty, everyone. I appreciate the feedback.