Running is hard work (Read 1039 times)

My legs are killing me

Ok the last few weeks I've been working myself back from injury and sickness. I've been running great, feeling good progressing nicely and this week has been a real struggle. I feel like I'm on the c25k program. Feet hurt, ankles hurt, breathing sucks - just a crappy week and no fun at all. Man, sometimes running is really hard work! Angry
    chrimbler

HTFU Evil grin
      Run like you stole it!
        Nothing worth having in life is every easy to get/accomplish.
        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hang in there - I bet a couple of weeks from now, you'll be feeling much better about running. That's how it works for me, at least!
          jeffdonahue

To quote Tom Hanks in "A League of Their Own" "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."

Think Whirled Peas

Ok the last few weeks I've been working myself back from injury and sickness. I've been running great, feeling good progressing nicely and this week has been a real struggle. I feel like I'm on the c25k program. Feet hurt, ankles hurt, breathing sucks - just a crappy week and no fun at all. Man, sometimes running is really hard work! Angry
              I was out for a week due to illness recently too. And it is hard to get back in there, but stick w/it. It will get easier.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Nothing worth having in life is every easy to get/accomplish.
                So True. Working my way back from my injury as well. Heel is doing good so far. Having to hit the gym to take some spinning classes and alternative cardio to get that endurance back. I am hopefull it will return fairly quick. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Running never gets easier, you just get faster. Tom
                    Is that really true? What if you didn't want to get faster? Suppose I average a 10 minute mile for 10k. Suppose I'm happy with that. Eventually would it not be as easy as just going for a walk in the park. I crossed paths with a woman runner awhile ago, she commented on how tough the run was, I said it will get easier eventually, to my surprise she said " I've been running for 20 years and I'm still waiting for it to get easier", I was stunned, is it really true, even if you don't try to get faster.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

But the thing is...could you really hold yourself to a 10 min pace if you were capable of running 8 mm? I think parts of running become easier and parts become harder.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's true for me so far. Here are my paces from my last several long runs (I'm increasing the length a little each week): 6.5 miles - 12:04/mile 7.1 miles - 11:53 7.5 miles - 11:38 8.0 miles - 11:16 8.2 miles - 11:10 I didn't TRY to run any faster, but it's just happening. I actually tried to hold myself back on the 8.2 mile run today (because I've been sick and didn't know if I could go that far), but my time still improved! I can't say the runs are getting any easier, though. Kind of interesting!
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

To quote Tom Hanks in "A League of Their Own" "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
                          Goes right alone with: "are you crying...? There's no crying in baseball!" LOVE that line! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's true for me so far. I didn't TRY to run any faster, but it's just happening.
                            Oh crap the same thing is happening to me. I thought someday I'll just level off here and be content, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh crap the same thing is happening to me. I thought someday I'll just level off here and be content, but I guess it doesn't work that way.
                              Well, there are worse things that could happen, I guess! I'm just happy I'm ABLE to improve my time. My first 5k time was 41:XX. Blush
                              DeadMopoz

Man, sometimes running is really hard work! Angry
                                That is so not true!!! If running is a work I would hire someone to do it! Running is a very hard pleasure!