Question about indoor track intervals and garmin (Read 110 times)

Joann Y

Getting ready to go do an indoor track and try to do some intervals but don't want to screw up using the watch. With the garmin I can set it to indoor mode and push the lap button to get my lap times. Do I later then manually enter it into RA? I tried a fake set of intervals just now and it doesn't look like it loads into garmin connect or strava or RA without any actual distance in there. Am I doing this right? How are you all doing this?

MTA : probably a dumb question, I just thought maybe it would upload the times for the intervals and I would just fill in the distances..

kilkee

runktrun

I use my garmin (220?) for intervals and just hit the split button based on track distance.  If I were running inside, I would turn off the GPS and let it estimate my distance based on the accelerometer, but hit my split button at the start and end of every interval when I cross the start line on the track.  The distances it calculates will be very wrong, but your time duration will be correct.  I then upload the .FIT file, which carries over the splits and accompanying (incorrect) distances.  If I really care about the pace I was running for each split, I will go down to the GPS Interval section and manually edit each interval to the correct distance.  eg: 12 x 400 workout may give me something like .21mi for the 400m interval, but I will have correctly split it at the start line so the time will read 1:20.xx.  I hit the edit button and change the distance to 400m, but leave the time.  Hit save.  Do that for all the intervals. I don't bother modifying the distance I ran on each recovery.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Joann Y

Okay, I think I got it. Didn't know about the accelerometer. Thanks kilkee.

kilkee

runktrun

Check out how I edited this workout:

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/30ff9223f0374fb9a25cdfb0b5633921/workouts/859361253f664d679b917addffb1ec79

Sorry if I sound condescending.  I don't think you're stupid, I'm just trying to explain the interwebs.

kilkee

runktrun

MTA your MTA:  Yes, that is what I do.

kilkee

runktrun

Do you have the 220?  To turn off my GPS, I hit the start/stop button twice to unlock it, then when it shows the RUN screen with "Menu" at the bottom, I hit the "up" button on the left of the watch and it brings up the GPS on/off option.  You can also turn off the GPS by finding it in the settings menu, but that's hard.  Technology is hard.

mikeymike

It depends on the model of watch. The 220 has an internal accelerometer (not very accurate) and supports pairing with a footpod (pretty accurate if calibrated) so it attempts to record distance which you can then correct in RA. Some of the watches without an accelerometer or footpod you can just use it as a stopwatch in which case you just have to enter the workout manually.

Runners run

Joann Y

Condescending! Ha. No, I didn't take any of it that way. I don't think I'm stupid either, just old :-)

So for the interval portions you changed it to 0.25 or 0.5 and left the recovery portions as is?

Joann Y

I have the 610... no footpod. No accelerometer?

Joann Y

It depends on the model of watch. The 220 has an internal accelerometer (not very accurate) and supports pairing with a footpod (pretty accurate if calibrated) so it attempts to record distance which you can then correct in RA. Some of the watches without an accelerometer or footpod you can just use it as a stopwatch in which case you just have to enter the workout manually.

The google says no accelerometer with the 610 so laps/stopwatch and manually enter workout it seems.

MTA: Thanks!

xhristopher

What kilkee said. This works great. I completely forget about using the gps for distance in this mode, even with the accelerometer in my 220. It's just a glorified time recorder that can be uploaded straight to RA to save lots of manual entry time. I did this last night with success. The cool thing about it is that despite not getting an accurate distance, or any distance at all, it's easy to add up the intervals to get a precise distance.

I used to use a 610. With that you can just turn off the gps, upload your accurate time splits, manually enter the overall distance, and call it a day. Go back and adjust each individual split distance if you want to take the time to do that and see pace.

kilkee

runktrun

But how does the Google know...?

Joann Y

What kilkee said. This works great. I completely forget about using the gps for distance in this mode, even with the accelerometer in my 220. It's just a glorified time recorder that can be uploaded straight to RA to save lots of manual entry time. I did this last night with success. The cool thing about it is that despite not getting an accurate distance, or any distance at all, it's easy to add up the intervals to get a precise distance.

I used to use a 610. With that you can just turn off the gps, upload your accurate time splits, manually enter the overall distance, and call it a day. Go back and adjust each individual split distance if you want to take the time to do that and see pace.

Um, looks like you had a really good workout.

It worked out in the end (after spending almost an hour jumping through hoops to get access to the track). But now it's done and will be easier in future. Forgot that I should have done more warmup than 2 miles of jogging in circles and also forgot what I was doing for the first recovery interval but other than that went well. Getting a feel for pacing.

Thanks for the advice all.

Joann Y

But how does the Google know...?

I don't know. I bet someone on here can give a detailed scientific explanation but not me! Wink

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't know. I bet someone on here can give a detailed scientific explanation but not me! Wink

H+ ions are involved, I think.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.