Smelly running clothes (Read 2879 times)

I have had complaints from family that my running clothes smell even after washing them along with some of my other street clothes. Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice? I heard baking soda or vinegar can help... Undecided
    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
      I've had decent success with a dettol antibacterial laundry rinse with eucalyptus in it or also a soak that is designed for nappies and then wash as normal. I find natural fibers get a lot less stinky in the long run and the higher tech the fabric, it seems the worse it hold stink but YMMV, If you are wary of using things like dettol or a nappy soak then try borax in the wash.
      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
      • Complete a 10K fun run
        the sport wash (detergents) out there really help... Also don't use fabric softner on your workout clothes... that will help... Penguin sport wash is what I use and it has restored even some of my most stinky shirts.... http://www.penguinsportwash.com/
          I toss in some Borax, too. Washing BEFORE clothes sit around for days can help. Some people rinse them immediately after a run before washing to get rid of yuckeys. Could also be your diet. Is it just your running clothes, or are you otherwise funky? You could also get a new family. A family of the nasally challenged.

Prince of Fatness

Washing BEFORE clothes sit around for days can help. Some people rinse them immediately after a run before washing to get rid of yuckeys.
            This is what I have found. I try to wash my running clothes right away. If I can't do that I leave the clothes out to dry before throwing them in the laundry pile. Nothing worse than pulling damp smelly running clothes out of the hamper after a couple of days.

Not at it at all. 

Another Vote for Penguin Sport Wash.... Lot's of times you can find two bottles for 20 dollar deals at places like REI, but you can get it from amazon as well... GREAT stuff, and it will totally restore the worst smelling musty running clothes.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Misinformation Officer

In the US: For the super-stink that can set in over time, Oxyclean, extra rinse in water, then Penguin Sport Wash really does the trick. Wash tech clothes separately from rest of laundry. No fabric softener. No dryer sheets. Don't waste your time with "Win" detergent--it does not work as well. Wish I knew what the UK product was that was mentioned above. I'd try it!

Baby bean!

If I can't do that I leave the clothes out to dry before throwing them in the laundry pile. Nothing worse than pulling damp smelly running clothes out of the hamper after a couple of days.
                  This is what I do. Since washing machines are not an instant access thing for me (apartment life), I tend to wear stuff a few times. Each time, I hang them up to dry and I have not noticed any smells. I'm also a biiiiig sweater, so I'd expect the clothes to get stinky.

Goals:
                  Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

C-R

+1 on the let 'em dry first. No fabric softener and I will actually jump in the pool with them after long runs. We have a community pool next door and my running shorts look more like pool shorts. My guess is that the chlorine helps. That being said, DW has a rule that if she is finishing the laundry and something still smells a bit questionable - she throws them out. Good motivation for me to do our team's laundry since I've lost some nice shirts this way. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I've had good luck with Win, but OxyClean works well too and is much cheaper and more easily available. Like others have said, let the stuff dry before tossing it in a hamper, and wash it without any fabric softener.

-------------------------------------
                      5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                      10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                      1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                      Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

An easy way to remember to forget about dryer sheets is to not use a dryer. Since all my stuff is DuoDry or LightningDry or DryDry I just hang 'em up when I take 'em out of the washer and it seems to help.

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

First off, you don't say what kind of material you're wearing, but my experience is the opposite of wee_little_me. Cotton workout clothes always end up reeking over time for me, but technical clothes (relatively cheap C9 stuff from Target) are stink free and more comfortable to run in for me. I'll second the rinsing out after a workout that someone else mentioned. I read it on a previous stinky clothes thread, and I've been doing it ever since. I take them off and throw them in the shower with me and rinse them out when I'm done showering. The best part is that my clothes actually stink less even while I'm hanging them to dry, which I also do before throwing them in the laundry pile. You also mentioned vinegar, which I have used to good effect in the past. The elastic strap on my HRM got really nasty smelling once before, and I soaked it in vinegar for a day or so before washing. Completely cured it. Since then, I've been hanging it up after running too, and the stink hasn't come back on it at all. For convenience, I have one of those over the door towel bars with three tiers that I hang my running clothes on after rinsing them in the shower, and since the bathroom door stays open virtually all the time, that lets my running clothes dry very inconspicuously. We use Arm & Hammer detergent for everything, so I may also be getting some baking soda benefit. Since listening to what folks said on a previous thread like this, my clothes have been daisy fresh.
                          Brandon
                          xor

There is a TON of great info in this thread. The only thing I can add is a personal preference thing: penguin wash works better for me than WIN. Definitely rinse out clothes or wash them right away. Letting them sit in a hamper with a ton of other wet stuff for a week is a sure way to funkify the clothes. ALSO. Once clothes are funkified, some can be saved and some cannot. Sorry. Some clothes just won't come back.

C-R

An easy way to remember to forget about dryer sheets is to not use a dryer. Since all my stuff is DuoDry or LightningDry or DryDry I just hang 'em up when I take 'em out of the washer and it seems to help.
                              BD makes an excellent point. I've noticed on clothes if they go into the dryer with a penchant for stinking, this will simply bake it in. This is more so on Polo type shirts since my running stuff (non cotton) is usually dry enough from the washer spin cycle to just hang up in the laundry room for the next run. Perhaps this will help too

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Not only am I a runner...but being from Michigan I am a bow hunter as well. Now if you are not aware, scent control is a major factor when bow hunting and it's critical to use a scent free detergent that eliminates human body order. Therefore, I am always washing my hunting clothes in one of the "odor free" laundry detergents on the market. The brand i use is made by Wildlife Industries. I have no connetion with them as an endorsement, it's just what I use. I have also used this on my running clothes and it works, but the key is to do a rinse before putting in the wash. Here is an summary about the product from their web site......"Biodegradable. Phosphate-free. Concentrated liquid formula. Cleans clothes gently, removes stubborn stain. Contains no UV brighteners. Odor-free. Camo Guard enzyme provides color protection. Completely eliminates odor. Renews & restores color." Just another option to consider B