June 2015 update summary (Read 707 times)

eric :)

Garmin Connect Integration

RunningAHEAD is now integrated with Garmin Connect.  If you are uploading your workouts to Garmin Connect and this integration is enabled, Garmin Connect will send a copy of the uploaded workouts to RunningAHEAD.  If you prefer to use Chrome, or have Garmin Express installed and couldn't get Garmin Communicator to work, then this would be your only option to import your workouts automatically.

You can enable Garmin Connect integration by going to Tools -> Applications.  When you click the Connect button, you'll be redirected to Garmin Connect.  After you grant RunningAHEAD access to your data, Garmin Connect will send workouts from the last 30 days to RunningAHEAD.  Make sure you delete any duplicates before saving the workouts into your log.

You can optionally specify how RunningAHEAD should process the workouts by expanding the Preferences section on the Applications page.  They're the same options as GPS import.  You can set them any time.

New Workout View

The previous workout view was basic and clunky.  The new workout view is a proof of concept for what's to come.  The graphing code has been redone.  Below is a list of enhancements:

• The graph is now interactive. When you hover the cursor on the graph, you'll get a readout of the value under the cursor.
    • If your workout contains cadence data, you can now create a cadence graph.
    • The splits graph now has several more y-axis values.

The layout has completely changed.  It should retain all existing functionality except for previous/next workout links.  It might be tucked away in a menu somewhere.  Please look around and explore.  The previous/next workout links will be restored in the next release.  It depends on a major database change, which has not been tested yet so it's left out of this release.

Enhanced Import

If you manually import your data files, you can now select the same options that are available for the GPS import.

Summary Page Lock down

Many of you reported that you accidentally delete widgets from the summary page, especially when you're on your touch based devices.  The widget controls are now hidden by default.  You need to click the "Edit Layout" button to enable editing.

Run Spots

I've been meaning to create something like this for years.  I finally found some time to work on it..  Under the resource section of the site, there's a new page call Run Spots.  It is a composite map of some of the routes that you created.  The map is not complete, and will require some additional clean up.  If you are ever in a new city, it might help you find a good place to run.

If you find a bug, please start a new thread so that it would be easier for me to track.  Thanks!

eric Smile

probably not fast enough

I love run spots!  Thanks, Eric!  I didn't know that many people in my hometown use the site...very cool 

kcam

I'll try out that Garmin Connect thing tomorrow.  Thanks for getting this done, Eric.  Woohoo!

Alas, must say that I'm less than enthused about the new page that pops up when you click on a workout.  I actually rarely look at the map of my workouts, more interested in the splits and comments  Now the map and elevation profile is front and center.  It would be better, for me of course, if there were a preferences selection where you could select the Splits tab as the default.  Shields on ....

Looks great -- hoping everything works from garmin connect on my first attempt this morning

Not sure where the 30 days workouts will show up, but maybe that will take a while.

Also on the upload from gps page, there was a button to connect to garmin connect, but it didn't seem to do anything. I think it should have gone to tools -> applications -> garmin connect (chrome)

Does the new workout view have prev / next navigation? I couldn't find it.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

The 30 workouts did not show up for me, but the automated upload worked great. I like the little notifier in the header bar to let you know there are uploaded workouts.

Run spots is cool

onemile

It looks like all maps are public now, even when marked private. I just locked down my log since I don't care for everyone to see where I run every day.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Woohoo!

Haven't tried Garmin Connect integration yet - but should be set up for tomorrow's runs.

kencamet, I'm with you on the default map display. I'd rather see performance data - especially since there isn't any integrated with the map (e.g., click a spot and see instantaneous pace, elapsed time, and distance).

onemile, I'm not seeing that my maps are public.

Run Spots is interesting. My usual stomping grounds appear to be fairly well inhabited by RA users. Who knew! Now, I'm going to be looking at all the runners and wondering. Maybe I'll start uttering the code word "RA" in passing.

Liz

pace sera, sera

onemile

onemile, I'm not seeing that my maps are public.

But I can see your maps if I click on your runs.  Try logging out and looking at your maps.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

eep!

You're right.

Even after going to my settings to check "Keep my new maps private unless I explicitly allow them to be public"

Liz

pace sera, sera

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes.  And runs marked private are also sowing up on Run Spots.

steph  

It looks like all maps are public now, even when marked private. I just locked down my log since I don't care for everyone to see where I run every day.

There was a bug where the private maps flag was not honored.  It has been fixed.

Yes.  And runs marked private are also sowing up on Run Spots.

Hi TeaOlive,

The map data is anonymized.  There is no leakage of personally identifiable info.  Please send me a private message if you have any concerns.

eric Smile

Alas, must say that I'm less than enthused about the new page that pops up when you click on a workout.  I actually rarely look at the map of my workouts, more interested in the splits and comments  Now the map and elevation profile is front and center.  It would be better, for me of course, if there were a preferences selection where you could select the Splits tab as the default.  Shields on ....

I agree with this too. I always want to look at the splits before anything else.

Run Spots is awesome.

Dave

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Runs not uploading from GC. I go to tools. Click applications.It send me to Garmin. Garmin sends me back to RA. Instead of the blue connect button there is a red disconnection button.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Runs not uploading from GC. I go to tools. Click applications.It send me to Garmin. Garmin sends me back to RA. Instead of the blue connect button there is a red disconnection button.

I think this is the normal behavior

After I did this and saw the red disconnect button, my new runs started loading

You have to make sure garmin express is running on your computer for runs to be sent to garmin connect. I guess if after going through this process, and then running, if you see the run on garmin connect and not on running ahead, then there's a problem.

I use this GC feature with strava as well, and very occasionally it does not work, and I have to load the run manually to strava. Not sure where the issue is for that, but maybe RA will have the same (very occasional) problem.