Stretching? Lifting? Yay or Nay for runners? (Read 2772 times)

So... as many times as you read something about how runner should stretch or lift, you find someone else telling you that it doesn't help or actively harms...

Do runners here regular do stretching? If so what kinds?

What about lifting? If you do it is it low weights, high reps, or high weights, low reps? Or somewhere in the middle?

A Saucy Wench

What are your goals

What are your strengths

What are your weaknesses

What are your trouble spots.

Too many variables to give a single generic answer.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Yay for runners!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Neigh for horses.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
          joescott

No moral opposition to either, but for me in real life I only have so much time for exercise.  I choose to spend it running since it is what I enjoy the most and fundamentally I believe that, although those other activities could help, if I want to get better at running I need to run.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

The USATF did a study on whether stretching helped running, and the results were: not really. If you do normally stretched, then stopping was more likely to lead to an injury, but otherwise it didn't really make a difference.

As for lifting, I'm a big fan.  How and when I lift depends upon a lot of factors, as Ennay mentioned.  The last few years I've mostly stuck to body weight exercises, but I've had good luck from programs that were high volume/low weight, as well as programs that were high weight/low volume. 

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Before I started in this running thing, I use to lift weights for bulking.  I was into the bodybuilding thing.  Since I've taken up running, I still lift to keep the body strong, but I'm now doing light weight and more reps with little rest in between.  I still make sure I'm getting a good cardio workout while lifting.  I've also been doing more core exercises.  I think this year the lifting has really helped me as I've stayed fairly injury free.  I've had nagging stuff and other aches and pains like most here, but nothing that's sidelined me.  PF hit me and put me out about 5 days and that's it.

L Train

What are your trouble spots.

Your pinky, for instance.

Feeling the growl again

The USATF did a study on whether stretching helped running, and the results were: not really

This is a mischaracterizatioin of the study.  It did not study whether stretching helped running but rather whether it prevented injury.

I never stretch with the intent to prevent injury.  I stretch because running faster requires a wider range of moveent and loose muscles with a wider range of motion do this more easily, with less energy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrH

Do runners here regular do stretching?

Define stretching? Active or static? Preceded by what? Before or after a run? What type of run?

I think there is a consensus among competitive athletes that active stretching before as part of your warm up, and static stretching after as part of a cool down, are beneficial.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

For most of us there is something somewhere that needs to be strengthened or stretched. Some maintenance is usually necessary as shown by weaknesses or injuries that crop up. Doing stuff to correct whatever ails me has always been worthwhile.

But general stuff for overall flexibility and strength? I've decided it doesn't really help my running. I guess if I had an infinite amount of time, maybe. But the few rehab things I really need to work on could probably use more attention, and I'm convinced time running is more important to making me a better runner than the same time spent lifting or in yoga class.

It's normal to overlook the tradeoffs we make. If you're trading off time running for time lifting then often it's not a choice that will make you a better runner. It may have other benefits you want though.

This is a mischaracterizatioin of the study.  It did not study whether stretching helped running but rather whether it prevented injury.

Further, it looked only at pre-workout stretching.

FWIW, I've never been much of a stretching guy, and I've also never been particularly flexible.  I did karate for years and found that stretching made me somewhat more flexible but otherwise didn't seem to have much impact, positive or negative.

With running, I've found that stretching after a run helps to lessen soreness or tightness.  Pre-run, I do a couple dynamic leg-swing exercises to loosen my hips and legs.  It too has a positive effect for me, although not as marked as the post-run stretching.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

A Saucy Wench

I never stretch with the intent to prevent injury.  I stretch because running faster requires a wider range of moveent and loose muscles with a wider range of motion do this more easily, with less energy.

I dont stretch before a run.  I dont stretch after a run much. 

Yoga does good things for my running. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

Your pinky, for instance.

Exactly. 

SMART Approach

YES, exactly. AND, muscles with more range of motion are less likely to be pulled/tweaked etc. We also need to think about when we are in our 60s, 70s, and 80s when we are getting out of car, bending over to pick up something etc. Weight training and flexibility work can prevent injuries/back issues later in life. What you do now or don't do has a positive or negative effect later in life.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com