2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Congratulations, npaden!

Hip Redux

You might want to borrow the dugout apparel sported by Sox pitcher Matt Barnes today.

I think I wore less for some of my -10 degree runs this winter than what I needed today to stay somewhat comfortable.  Damn cold and wet. 

Brutal conditions today - congrats to everyone out there, running or watching! 

mikeymike

Congrats to everyone who finished that bitch. Some inspiring performances out there today. 23 elites DNF'd. Unreal. A dude I've known since he was 16 finished 10th and my daughter's friend from highschool was 28th woman.

And of course Desi. My goodness.

Today was a day for tough mf'ers.

More importantly, however, the weather in Boston is seriously messing with my ability to get home ... stuck in an airport watching the Bruins on my lap--GOAL!!

Runners run

I think I wore less for some of my -10 degree runs this winter than what I needed today to stay somewhat comfortable.  Damn cold and wet. 

Brutal conditions today - congrats to everyone out there, running or watching! 

Cold and Wet do not go together well.  I would rather run in cold and snow which is much more comfortable.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

GinnyinPA

I finished!  Ended up with a slight positive split.  1:43:08 first half which was right around what I was shooting for.  Had to make a bathroom break at mile 19 so that was my slowest mile of the race, my fastest mile was mile 22 with a 7:35, turning into the headwind at the end I thought I was really picking it up, but my splits were actually a bit slow on miles 24 and 25.  Ended up with a 3:28:16.  The splits per the marathon site are whacked, Not sure if they are going to get them fixed or not.  It was cold and wet and windy but I finished!

You too?

bhearn

Did what I planned, 3:22:41, slight negative split. Yes it sucked, but it didn’t actually feel like a constant 25-mph headwind.

sluggo

John

3:22 is a great time and I've never seen weather that bad for any race.

Today is gorgeous, perfect day for a run.

Did what I planned, 3:22:41, slight negative split. Yes it sucked, but it didn’t actually feel like a constant 25-mph headwind.

John
                www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

bhearn

3:22 is a great time and I've never seen weather that bad for any race.

Today is gorgeous, perfect day for a run.

With an 18-mph wind from the west!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

With an 18-mph wind from the west!

Boy, it would have been a different race today.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And, congrats, bhearn!

joescott

Congrats, guys.  bhearn, npaden, nice!  Epic day!

I was VERY happy with the outcome for me considering the conditions.  I had a positive split of less than a minute, so I will take that, and I pretty much ran the race exactly as planned, but I just couldn't quite hold it together the last two miles.  So, I missed my time goal by 5 seconds.  They are out there on Boylston somewhere, but at the time I was just surviving to get across the finish line.  I beat my bib # by over 2000 places, so I'm very happy that a very miserable, tough winter training cycle paid out on a miserable, tough race day with 2:56:43. 

I agree with bhearn that it did not feel like a constant 25 mph headwind.  I think the fact that one is almost always running in some kind of a pack at Boston mitigates the wind.  Nevertheless, it was pretty bad out there yesterday.  I certainly still felt the wind, and the gusts were pretty strong at times.  Worst of all, I really felt it the last 2 miles when I was suffering the most and it seemed like the pack was a lot thinner.

Rarely have a long, hot shower and dry clothes felt better!   

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Congrats bhearn, joescott, anyone else who persevered. Obviously this shows the shortcoming of training only in good conditions - my local friends both ended up in the med tent. I will do less crowing about our consistently lovely weather...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congrats, guys.  bhearn, npaden, nice!  Epic day!

I was VERY happy with the outcome for me considering the conditions.  I had a positive split of less than a minute, so I will take that, and I pretty much ran the race exactly as planned, but I just couldn't quite hold it together the last two miles.  So, I missed my time goal by 5 seconds.  They are out there on Boylston somewhere, but at the time I was just surviving to get across the finish line.  I beat my bib # by over 2000 places, so I'm very happy that a very miserable, tough winter training cycle paid out on a miserable, tough race day with 2:56:43. 

I agree with bhearn that it did not feel like a constant 25 mph headwind.  I think the fact that one is almost always running in some kind of a pack at Boston mitigates the wind.  Nevertheless, it was pretty bad out there yesterday.  I certainly still felt the wind, and the gusts were pretty strong at times.  Worst of all, I really felt it the last 2 miles when I was suffering the most and it seemed like the pack was a lot thinner.

Rarely have a long, hot shower and dry clothes felt better!   

Wow, that sounds like another victory to me! Congratulations!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Christirei

its amazing to me that the first male and second female are both employed full time and fit their training around their work schedules! that's inspiring to say the least!