2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

it's interesting, it seems like I'm only seeing crazy high prices ($500+) for hotels, not at this level. Do these tour groups get some super special rate?

Yes. Marathon Tours gets special rates. They open for reservations in May and they can fill up quickly. The reservation is no cost until January or February when they start to charge cancellation fees. I’ve always booked through them so I don’t know of other groups per se but it is much cheaper than direct reservations. I’ve stayed at the Taj, the Omni, Hyatt, Liberty and Weston all for $320 or less per night. One time I stayed at the best western roundhouse for $119 but that was 2009 but that ship sailed when they figured out it was a steal. The first few times I stayed at park plaza it was $275 then they went off Marathon Tours for a few years and were $500-$600+ until this year when they reconnected with MT.

Jennifer mm#1231

npaden

Just checked this morning and I am now showing up in the official results! I didn’t ever hear any kind of response from B.A.A. and although it had offered to send them my GPS information they never requested it. My splits are still wrong but my finish time is correct so I guess I should be thankful for that. Somehow I did get 1 second faster when the result went official! BQ -1:45 probably isn’t enough to get me in next year but I wasn’t really planning on it anyway. Now I just have to worry about the marathon investigation dude questioning my unbelievably fast 5k and 10k splits!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

GinnyinPA

Nathan - I'm so glad they got it straightened out for you. I wish they would contact us to let us know what happened and how they worked out the right times, but at least you're now official.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just checked this morning and I am now showing up in the official results! I didn’t ever hear any kind of response from B.A.A. and although it had offered to send them my GPS information they never requested it. My splits are still wrong but my finish time is correct so I guess I should be thankful for that. Somehow I did get 1 second faster when the result went official! BQ -1:45 probably isn’t enough to get me in next year but I wasn’t really planning on it anyway. Now I just have to worry about the marathon investigation dude questioning my unbelievably fast 5k and 10k splits!

We're gonna start calling you Rosie.

Seriously, glad your time is fixed, and congrats on your great performance under terrible conditions.

btb1490

I volunteered at registration and handed out the numbers to the runners.  At our briefing beforehand, we were told to stress to the runners that the bib had to be on the outside of all their clothes.  It seems it was a new type of super thin timing tag and it may not record properly if it's under other clothing.  I wonder if that was part of the issue.  I tried to remember to lift my jacket going over the timing mats.  It seems my splits were recorded ok.

FSBD

I volunteered at registration and handed out the numbers to the runners.  At our briefing beforehand, we were told to stress to the runners that the bib had to be on the outside of all their clothes.  It seems it was a new type of super thin timing tag and it may not record properly if it's under other clothing.  I wonder if that was part of the issue.  I tried to remember to lift my jacket going over the timing mats.  It seems my splits were recorded ok.

I wasn't wearing any clothing over my bib and mine still did not record two of the splits.  I think the rain and weather were definitely the factor.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

dallison

registered pw

Nope. I think it was for the best though. After that i had just run by feel and enjoyed myself.

Ah, yes.  That touch bezel -- rain is definitely not its friend.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

dallison

registered pw

I had a heavier poncho on over my bib for the 1st 10 miles and then lost the poncho. My splits were fine.

I wasn't wearing any clothing over my bib and mine still did not record two of the splits.  I think the rain and weather were definitely the factor.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

joescott

I volunteered at registration and handed out the numbers to the runners.  

By the way, THANK YOU!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

GinnyinPA

I had a light clear plastic poncho and several of my splits were missing. I have no idea why, except the weather. Possibly the new chips are less sensitive than the old ones?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I had a light clear plastic poncho and several of my splits were missing. I have no idea why, except the weather. Possibly the new chips are less sensitive than the old ones?

I think the new, thinner chips were either shorted or shielded by the water. Their design is not good for use in rain.

Kalsarikännit

Ah, the good old, “wasn’t in the elite start, but had an elite finish” story strikes again.  The fifth place male at Boston got $15,000, the fifth place female at Boston got a hearty congratulations.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/boston-marathon-women-prize-money?utm_term=.mmbR73RlM#.mkLdqnd5B

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Well that sucks. But it wouldn't be fair to the elite women starters for her time to count in their list. You can't compete with who you can't see. Also, of course, women in the mass start can pace off men, or so the argument goes for the elite start.

Though this reasoning doesn't apply to the men, it would only be fair for the same rule to apply to them... or perhaps for there to be some other schedule of awards for women who run times that would have placed in the elite race.

rmcj001

Same rules for both men and women!! The difference is when they started...

From the Boston Marathon FAQ

Q: Are Boston Marathon awards presented according to gun or to net time?

A: All prize money winners will be decided by gun time. All age group division awards will be awarded by net time.

Ray

npaden

Same rules for both men and women!! The difference is when they started...

From the Boston Marathon FAQ

Q: Are Boston Marathon awards presented according to gun or to net time?

A: All prize money winners will be decided by gun time. All age group division awards will be awarded by net time.

For some of these women they would have still placed based on gun time.  The gun time for Wave 1.  The gun does go off before each wave and I think they would have started close enough to the front to not have that much of a difference between the gun time and their net time.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)