2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

Julia1971

Congratulations to everyone who'll be racing next year!  And, my sympathies for those who ran a BQ and yet won't be running.

Count me with those who don't like this current system.  I don't know what the solution is for the BAA but there's got to be something better than having so many runners twisting in the wind like this.

Hi Julia and everyone (haven't read through the whole thread yet) ! Yeah, I really feel for the runners who didn't get in, especially since the cutoff was so high this year. Really a bummer that all qualifiers couldn't be in.

Looking forward to running my 4th consecutive Boston, which seems kind of unreal, even though each has been truly memorable in its own special way.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

RAer knifey is in... with a BQ-3:23.

Sooooooo many people told me I had "plenty of cushion" and "in for sure." Believe me I'm beyond THRILLED that I'm in but it's so close and so surreal; I definitely keep checking my time and my confirmation email to make sure I'm reading it right!

MarathonMan32020

Sooooooo many people told me I had "plenty of cushion" and "in for sure." Believe me I'm beyond THRILLED that I'm in but it's so close and so surreal; I definitely keep checking my time and my confirmation email to make sure I'm reading it right!

You should go buy a Powerball ticket.  You're on a roll!

Tejas Runner

I am a first timer.  I am in because I got old enough - meaning the cut-off was finally low enough for me. Smile

Have my hotel booked and excited.

I am doing Marine Corps in 3 weeks and hope to qualify for 2019.

Seattle prattle

hey there. cut-off was surely a bit tighter than most expected. I got in with the 20+ group. Moving into a new age group this year accounted for the bulk ot that meaty margin and i guess a downhill marathon didn't hurt, either. This will be my 3rd BM. Looking forward to it this year since i feel i've very much zeroed in on the my training, lost the last 4 or 5 pounds, better nutrition, and a better overall sense of how to approach lead-up to the big event.

Julia1971

I am a first timer.  I am in because I got old enough - meaning the cut-off was finally low enough for me. Smile

Have my hotel booked and excited.

I am doing Marine Corps in 3 weeks and hope to qualify for 2019.

I'll be cheering at Mile 23.5.  (My mouth will be saying, "You got this!" but my facial expression probably won't be selling it. Smile )  If you have a candy request, let me know.

flygirl34q

I think I got everyone's edits.  Thanks for pointing them out!  Any thoughts on training plans?

I'm going with Pfitz 18/55, the plan that got me my qualifying time at my first marathon. I hope going another round with the same plan can still bring me a faster time. Before I die, I want my marathon PR to begin with a "3".

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'll be cheering at Mile 23.5.  (My mouth will be saying, "You got this!" but my facial expression probably won't be selling it. Smile )  If you have a candy request, let me know.

Ha ha, your link is funny, especially the last line. Shared with my family/cheering squad.

xhristopher

Still waiting for my confirmation. Anyone else in the same boat?

joescott

Are we experiencing some kind of invasion?  :-)

I wasn't here... er... well, I was part of the Cool Running implosion, invasion, and this seems kinda the same except on the other side of it.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

xhristopher

Are we experiencing some kind of invasion?  :-)

I wasn't here... er... well, I was part of the Cool Running implosion, invasion, and this seems kinda the same except on the other side of it.

I just realized this yesterday. Apparently Runner's World abruptly shut down their forums last week.

bhearn

Huh. I wondered why someone bumped the Dear Newcomers thread.

katiebee4

Does anyone want to hazard a guess on the corral cutoff times for Wave 1?  I'm running a marathon this weekend to try to improve my BQ and get in. In the past years, it was basically sub 3:10 I think... but the chart that showed the corrals over the past dozen years was on the Runnersworld Forum so I'm not sure anymore... and with such a big cutoff for qualifying times this year, surely the corral times will get faster too?

Excited to be running either way!

Katie

mylestones

Hi everyone! This will be my second time at Boston. Ran the first in 2015 on a injured hip ( torn labrum with FAI). Had that side repaired surgically, ran a BQ a year after that surgery, and then promptly had surgery on the other side. I'm looking forward to being able to train and run it without any injuries holding me back (fingers crossed!). The 2015 experience was tough because I was under trained due to the injury and the weather was pouring rain/ driving wind the whole time. So I kind of hated my life from mile 7 onward and swore I'd never run another marathon. Yeah, that didn't last. :-)

I am still working on getting my base up after surgery, but hoping do Hansons plan come December and be well prepared for Boston 2018!