2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

I was holding out hope that the 2018 jacket would at least be primarily blue or yellow but I guess not.  The 2017 one was pretty much perfect so I figured the 2018 would go back to ugly.

It almost looks more like orange than red to me.

Since this is my first Boston and I don't plan on making this an annual thing I still may buy the ugly thing.

Will they still have plenty available at the expo so I can wait and see if it is as ugly in person or do I need to buy one now to be sure and get one?

Thanks, Nathan

There are plenty at the expo but I have never bought one there, because I don't like to pay full price for them. You can get them early with an Adidas discount code, or a few months after the race you can find them for $50 at Ross or Marshalls. For my first Boston (2015) I did buy it early with the discount code because I knew I wanted to wear it after the race. On my flight home, nearly everyone on the plane had one on. I'll probably pass this year. I have been getting them every other year so far, as I skipped the green/pink year also.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Don Patrol

I was holding out hope that the 2018 jacket would at least be primarily blue or yellow but I guess not.  The 2017 one was pretty much perfect so I figured the 2018 would go back to ugly.

It almost looks more like orange than red to me.

Since this is my first Boston and I don't plan on making this an annual thing I still may buy the ugly thing.

Will they still have plenty available at the expo so I can wait and see if it is as ugly in person or do I need to buy one now to be sure and get one?

Thanks, Nathan

There will be plenty at the expo, so you’ll be able to see it in person.  I’d either buy in advance or at the expo, because most of the fun of owning the jacket is wearing it around Boston!  (Only AFTER the race, of course).

Congratulations on getting in to your first Boston Marathon!  2017 was my first, and it was everything I’d imagined!

Marathon Maniac since 3/2016. Marathon PR: 3:29:25 - Richmond 2015.  Back to Boston in 2019!!

Calvino2k

Hey all,

Count me in for Boston 2018. I qualified this summer with a BQ -13:13. First time running the Boston Marathon, and looking forward to it!

npaden

How's everyone's training going?

This week has been a good one for me.  I haven't been quite as dedicated as I should be and missed 4 days taking off for a ski trip but I'm back at it now.

Had a good long run last weekend, a couple good key workouts this week and feeling pretty good about things right now.  I could trim a few pounds over the next few weeks and I'm sure that would help things too.

45 days to go!!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

joescott

Hey man, good to hear from you again!

I'm really looking forward to getting back there this year.  It's been 5 years!!!!  The flu set me back hard in January, so I'm not exactly where I'd like to be now, either, but I'm starting to accumulate some significant mileage and just started some simple workouts the last couple of weeks.

Good luck, all !

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

How about a separate thread on how to find a hotel? I am having a hell of a time and I I'm talking about 2019! Any advice?

GinnyinPA

Jack - for 2019 reservations, wait until right after this year's race. A lot of hotel reservations open up then. Some hotels don't open up their reservations until a couple of months later.  I made my reservation at a B&B in Cambridge last April, using Trivago.  Marathon Tours is also a good option. Their prices seem to be on par with the travel sites. One issue I had was that there is a big difference in price between refundable and non-refundable reservations. Refundable reservations are out there, but you have to look for them.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thank you, Ginny. That is some good advice. 

bhearn

Bib #s are up. I'm 12363... wow... first 5-digit bib, and first time in the second wave. This will be different!

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/entry-list.aspx

Seattle prattle

wave assignments are up. Anyone know how to find out the time for each corral. The website shows the start time for each wave, but not how long it will take per corral. For example, I can see when wave 3 starts, but how long before corral 2 of the 3rd wave gets to go?
                      Thanks in advance.

FSBD

wave assignments are up. Anyone know how to find out the time for each corral. The website shows the start time for each wave, but not how long it will take per corral. For example, I can see when wave 3 starts, but how long before corral 2 of the 3rd wave gets to go?
                        Thanks in advance.

Probably about 30 seconds to 1 minute

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

npaden

I'm in Wave 2 corral 2 pretty much right where I was expecting.

Didn't even think of what bib # I would get but I did sneak into a 4 digit bib - 9426.

Pretty cool!  

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm wave 1 corral 2, bib 1890.  Anyone remember if someone can move back a corral?  One of my team mates is 1/1 but isn't in his best shape and wants to drop back to run with me.  I think he can do that but I don't recall with certainty.

Bib #s are up. I'm 12363... wow... first 5-digit bib, and first time in the second wave. This will be different!

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/entry-list.aspx

FSBD

You can move back.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm wave 1 corral 2, bib 1890.  Anyone remember if someone can move back a corral?  One of my team mates is 1/1 but isn't in his best shape and wants to drop back to run with me.  I think he can do that but I don't recall with certainty.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

bhearn

Yes. The only restriction is you can't move back to corral 1 in a slower wave.