2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

Excellent- thanks.  That seemed familiar to me.

I see Rupp drew bib # 18.  Kirui is 1 which makes sense after he won last year.  Would that mean Rupp is considered the 18 seed coming into the race?

Yes. The only restriction is you can't move back to corral 1 in a slower wave.

joescott

Ah, guys (Bob!) thanks for alerting everyone that bib numbers are up!  With the qualifying times faster than ever I feared I would be a lot farther back than I am, but I'm happy to be in the first wave about where I feel like I've always been on average.

On the jacket topic, I sure wish this year's wasn't stupid ugly again, because my 2006 one is getting a little age on it now.  But I just can't see buying one this year unless it looks a lot better in person than on the internet.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

GinnyinPA

I don't know about the Men's jacket, but the women who bought it consistently say it looks a lot better in person than in the picture. There's a FB page for Boston Marathon Training (not the RW page) that has had a lot of discussion about the jacket when it came out.

Read often, run fast

My first Boston, first world major, fifth marathon.

Looking forward to another BQ and having a blast!

I run and read a lot of books

jkim579

This is my first Boston as well.  I know it's a bit early but a question for Boston veterans.  I will be staying at a hotel near Hopkinton that will be shuttling runners to the start.  Is checking in at athlete's village mandatory, or is it OK to hang out near the town center and just walk up to the corrals when your wave is called?  I'm just trying to avoid having to wait around any longer than I need to.

So I am bib number 11461.  Amazing how humbling Boston makes you feel.  I am also in Wave 2 and corral 4.  I start at 10:25 which is aweful.  That is about what time I do my short lunch runs.  I feel pretty good.

I'm not a big fan of the jackets either.  Would just like a nice pull over but those are overly expensive as well.

Does anyone know if they will be running any shuttles from hotels near the finish to the expo?

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
              • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
              • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
              joescott

This is my first Boston as well.  I know it's a bit early but a question for Boston veterans.  I will be staying at a hotel near Hopkinton that will be shuttling runners to the start.  Is checking in at athlete's village mandatory, or is it OK to hang out near the town center and just walk up to the corrals when your wave is called?  I'm just trying to avoid having to wait around any longer than I need to.

I last ran it in 2013 and then checking in at athlete's village was absolutely NOT mandatory.  However, I know they have tightened security significantly since then, so it would be good to have someone who has run it more recently confirm.  Heck, if I understand some of my buddies correctly, you can't even have a little check bag anymore, which totally sucks.

- Joe

joescott

I got my packet in the mail yesterday.  I read the whole thing, just like an excited little neophyte.  I confess I'm feeling a little giddy about the whole thing.  It's been 5 years since I ran it.  Too long!

- Joe

btb1490

Has anyone ever tried taking the train from Boston to Hopkinton on race morning?  I'm wondering what the logistics are regarding getting from the train station over to Hopkinton State Park, and then taking the shuttle bus from there?  Also, did I read somewhere that the shuttle buses from Hopkinton State Park are for spectators and volunteers only, and not for runners?  That doesn't sound right, as I've heard other runners say they've parked at the park and taken the bus from there.

btb1490

Right, no more bag checks.  And yes you can hang around Hopkinton to wait for the start, but expect a lot of security checks to go through.

I last ran it in 2013 and then checking in at athlete's village was absolutely NOT mandatory.  However, I know they have tightened security significantly since then, so it would be good to have someone who has run it more recently confirm.  Heck, if I understand some of my buddies correctly, you can't even have a little check bag anymore, which totally sucks.

npaden

I got my packet in the mail on Monday.  Also very excited about it since it is my first.

Training is going decent for me, still about 10 pounds heavier than I should be, but I don't think that is going to change much before race day.

I have a 1/2 marathon race Saturday that should help me figure out where I'm at as far as pacing goes.

I would like to requalify again but I don't plan to make this an annual thing.

I do have April 21, 2025 marked on my calendar though.  That year Boston will be on my birthday and I think that would be really cool to revisit it then.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

mikeymike

Has anyone ever tried taking the train from Boston to Hopkinton on race morning?  I'm wondering what the logistics are regarding getting from the train station over to Hopkinton State Park, and then taking the shuttle bus from there?  Also, did I read somewhere that the shuttle buses from Hopkinton State Park are for spectators and volunteers only, and not for runners?  That doesn't sound right, as I've heard other runners say they've parked at the park and taken the bus from there.

You could hitch a ride from the Southborough Commuter Rail station to Hopkinton State Park from any of the cars heading to HSP to drop off runners or volunteers and then take the bus. The buses are "for" spectators and volunteers but they don't care who gets on. I've been dropped off at HSP and taken those buses before.

But, honestly, if I was already in Boston I'd just take the buses form the common. You'll be among kindred spirits and it's not a bad ride.

Runners run

btb1490

Thanks for the info!   Normally yes, I'd take the BAA bus, but since I'm running for Children's Hospital, they have a place to wait before the race in Hopkinton, and provide buses to get there, but the buses leave at 5:30am.  I was looking for an alternate way to get there a bit later.

You could hitch a ride from the Southborough Commuter Rail station to Hopkinton State Park from any of the cars heading to HSP to drop off runners or volunteers and then take the bus. The buses are "for" spectators and volunteers but they don't care who gets on. I've been dropped off at HSP and taken those buses before.

But, honestly, if I was already in Boston I'd just take the buses form the common. You'll be among kindred spirits and it's not a bad ride.

FSBD

Corral Splits in case anyone is curious.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

jkim579

Is it too early to start discussing the weather?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/03/23/when-will-spring-feel-like-spring/