Upload from GPS is broken with Garmin Express (Read 417 times)

joescott

eric, Lord knows you are a lot smarter about this stuff than I am, but here are just the 4 top Google hits that came up when I searched "future of browser plugins."

http://www.sitepoint.com/google-mozilla-begin-browser-plugin-prohibition/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/hh968248%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2013/09/24/plugin-activation-in-firefox/

http://fossforce.com/2013/09/death-browser-plugin-good-thing/

To me it seems, and this may be a simplistic view, that the end is coming OR it will just become increasingly difficult and obtrusive for users to utilize plugins.  Certainly it is something that Garmin is keeping an eye on and planning for to hopefully make things easier for customers in the long run.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

an amazing likeness

Buried in the Mozilla blog is this:  "Plugins are now a legacy technology, and not available on most mobile devices. Mozilla encourages website developers to avoid using plugins wherever possible."

[underline added]

Mobile dominates product roadmaps these days...dom-i-nates.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

I am pretty sure RA has no problem ingesting FIT files.  However, the location of the FIT file cache has changed with Garmin Express.   Just FYI for the powers that may be listening.  Smile

I have a 210 and when I connect it to my Windows 7 machine it acts as a portable USB drive,  It did not work this way with with older Garmins that I had.  Anyway as it is a pain to delete a group of runs using the watch interface I just go into the directory (Activities I believe) and delete them all at once after I import them.  I am pretty sure that I did not use a Garmin device driver for the watch as there were MS drivers for it and I vaguely remember there being issues using older Garmin drivers on Windows 7.

Anyway, since they are just FIT files in a specific directory on the watch, in theory I should be able to import them into RA without any help (drivers or plugins) from Garmin.  I will test this next time I import my runs.  I have a new Windows 8,1 build that I have never used to read my Garmin.  I will plug it in and see if MS has the drivers for it.  If it recognizes the watch I will try to import the FIT files.

It make take a couple of days for me to get to it but when I do I will report back here.

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have a 210 and when I connect it to my Windows 7 machine it acts as a portable USB drive,  It did not work this way with with older Garmins that I had.  Anyway as it is a pain to delete a group of runs using the watch interface I just go into the directory (Activities I believe) and delete them all at once after I import them.  I am pretty sure that I did not use a Garmin device driver for the watch as there were MS drivers for it and I vaguely remember there being issues using older Garmin drivers on Windows 7.

Anyway, since they are just FIT files in a specific directory on the watch, in theory I should be able to import them into RA without any help (drivers or plugins) from Garmin.  I will test this next time I import my runs.  I have a new Windows 8,1 build that I have never used to read my Garmin.  I will plug it in and see if MS has the drivers for it.  If it recognizes the watch I will try to import the FIT files.

It make take a couple of days for me to get to it but when I do I will report back here.

This sounds much better than the wireless interface. The wireless interface is irritatingly dumb; I put the watch near the computer, and then nothing happens for a while, and there is no way for me to tell the software, "Hey, the watch is there, go get the new data that I know is there."

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

an amazing likeness

I have a 210 and when I connect it to my Windows 7 machine it acts as a portable USB drive,

The 210 is one of the devices which uses the mass storage approach of the three Garmin connection styles [(1) ANT wireless devices; (2) USB mass storage approach; (3) USB file transfer to PC/Mac]

The garmin connect plugin manages providing the .FIT file to RA for upload, RA doesn't read the file from the mounted file system of the 201 -- Garmin Connect does that.

You're free to delete files from the 210, via the file system. The next time you select Menu->History on the device, it dynamically scans all the .FIT files onboard.

I've done this and it works fine--both from windows and from Chrome OS. The computer just sees the device as a USB mass storage device so from RA I can browse to the files and import them straight from the watch.

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This sounds much better than the wireless interface. The wireless interface is irritatingly dumb; I put the watch near the computer, and then nothing happens for a while, and there is no way for me to tell the software, "Hey, the watch is there, go get the new data that I know is there."

I had terrible problems with this on Windows XP.  Since I migrated to Win7 (through VMWare hosted on Linux) I have not had any problems with the ANT stick detecting my Watch almost immediately.

Though, I do wish there were a "go look again" button.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I had terrible problems with this on Windows XP.  Since I migrated to Win7 (through VMWare hosted on Linux) I have not had any problems with the ANT stick detecting my Watch almost immediately.

Though, I do wish there were a "go look again" button.

I see this syndrome (ANT agent sits there doing nothing, and has no button to tell it go actually get data) on Windows 7 and on Windows 8.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I see this syndrome (ANT agent sits there doing nothing, and has no button to tell it go actually get data) on Windows 7 and on Windows 8.

Format your harddrive and install Linux (Debian), then install Oracle VMWare and Windows7 as a guest OS . . . works perfect!

(j/k of course)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

joescott

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

an amazing likeness

Due to this change, Garmin will be working directly with third party websites and applications that enhance our user experiences. We are limiting our developer scope to strengthen strategic partnerships. An administration fee maybe applicable to some developers.

Garden, meet wall; and moat.  There's a fee for the drawbridge.

Hmmm...wonder what happens if sites like RA, SportTracks, etc circle the wagons and don't play along...

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I am wondering if this is why RunningAhead no longer recognizes my 310xt.  I'm able to upload to Garmin Connect.  I have no recollection of installing the Garmin Express plugin, and am wondering if Garmin was able to install it without any knowledge on my part.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

And now Garmin Connect doesn't recognize my 310xt.  Sheesh!  It is enough to make me switch to a Timex.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

A Saucy Wench

crap...should I regret buying a 310XT?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There are significant bugs with the 310xt and upload. There are various threads about them at garmin support and at RA.

Here is one such: https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c6ffd004660047648d5791b42d4654a3

I expect google could find you more such.