Sweat Rags (Read 107 times)

Christirei

My long run partner always carries a washcloth on our runs to wipe her face with as we run, she is a very heavy sweater. Whenever we stop at an intersection she will wring it out, it gets to where it just can't absorb anything anymore, she just uses a cheap cotton washcloth. Do any of you carry something like that during your runs and have you found a better more absorbent material? I was thinking of getting her a norwex hand towel to try but thought i would ask around here first

Joann Y

The idea seems sort of futile to me! I sweat a lot and everything I'm wearing is often wringing wet when I finish on a hot humid day of running. I can't imagine trying to manage it in any way. Maybe you should gently suggest to her to just let herself sweat and not worry about it? Or try a cap or visor to absorb sweat if it's getting in her eyes?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I do carry a cheap washcloth - you can get packs of 10 white cloths for $5 at Target. I like to wipe the sweat off my forehead and out of my eyes. It would have to be a really long, hot run for the cloth to get wringing wet for me, but they occasionally get pretty gross.

Marylander

I bought a huge thing of microfiber cloths at sam's club and I carry 1 or 2 on every run. If I don't have something I will be blind part way through any run. I also wear cycling caps to keep as much sweat as possible from getting in my eyes (this is the best solution I've found and I've tried all kinds of different things like GUT'Rs, regular sweat bands, regular running hats, Halos, etc). On long runs I may do half my run with 2 cloths then switch to dry ones for the last half (also get fresh bottles). The microfiber cloths work better for me than cotton. Oh, they can also be put under the back half of my hat to keep the deer flies from biting my head/neck as much (those buggers can bite through fairly thick cloth).

bhearn

Stillsuit

Marylander

That would solve a problem with another liquid too...

Seattle prattle

That gauge right above his cup - what do you figure that is measuring?

Stillsuit

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Stillsuit

We had video, and you were not wearing that in the Dome.

Christirei

HA! she could seriously wear something like that, we even have a system to where i always run on her right side because her ponytail swings to the left and flings little sweat droplets with every step Smile i'll look into some microfiber rags for her, thanks!

Marylander

My daughter calls that the "splash zone". It's pretty much any location within 2-3' of me. I think my arms produce the most splash.

Trader Joe's microfiber kitchen cloth!

Comes in a two pack for $3. I cut them into quarters and carry one in the waist pocket of my shorts. Lasts for years, weighs nothing.

Related image

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Christirei

WHAT??? seriously!! okay, that is why I love this forum!! Thank you so much for the idea!! thats genius!!

ChristineO

So, this is a bit different, but if it's HOT out....one of those cooling cloths/towels works great! They hold a lot of water, and wring out nicely. Plus, when they are wet, they keep you cool.  Arctic Cool is my favorite. I'll even start out with it wet, and as I run, mop the water off my face (I just hate the tickle of the trickle!), and if I get by a drinking fountain, wet it down with water again, wring it, and wrap it back around my neck. It's nice that you can drape it around your neck, or tuck into your tank top straps so it doesn't flop around. It tends to dry quickly as well. The arctic chill has a mesh type back, and then silky front. Now....during the cooler months - this may not be an option!

Cotton Kills; a warning phrase for mountaineers. Why? because it gets wet and STAYS wet. Cotton isn't a very good material for reuse as a towel. I just wish the Trader Joe's towels were the same size as a bandana so I could tie one on as a headband.

In a state of evolution toward hairlessness, I have to wear a hat to keep from getting sunburned. I wear Headsweats hats, which are great, but after 30 minutes or so they are soaked and dripping from the brim.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Have you tried Buff? Specifically the pack trek one? I prefer it over my headsweats, though I suspect my headsweats may be a knockoff.

In a state of evolution toward hairlessness, I have to wear a hat to keep from getting sunburned. I wear Headsweats hats, which are great, but after 30 minutes or so they are soaked and dripping from the brim.