Help - Pain in both hips for 2 days after running (Read 1395 times)

Can anybody give me any advise on a really niggling problem. Every time I finish a run my hips stiffen up and I can barely walk the next day, doesnt feel like its the joint it feels more muscular. Sometimes the pain persists until my next run and I hobble off like an old man but once I'm going the pain eases a lot and running is OK but both hips feel 'weak'. Ibuprofen rubs and tablets help but don't want to rely on them to run. I'm aiming for my first half marathon on 7th September and want to prepare properly.
      Be a bit more specific as the where the pain is? is it top of hips, such as the hip flexor or is it more down the sides of the hips like the IT band? IT band runs from the outside of the knee all the way to the hip and is a common ailment with newer runners who tack on too much mileage too soon, or ill fitting running shoes. Lot's of folks here that can help troubleshoot the pain, but it's best to get it looked at if it persists.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

The pain is at the top of the leg and stops you dead in your tracks, it doesnt radiate down the leg at all, sounds like it could be a hip flexor as you suggest. I started running last September and have taken it really steady building up to my first 10 miler last weekend at around 10 minute miling, very steady, I do shorter runs in the week 4 or 5 miles maximum. always warm down with a short walk and lots of stretching, quads, calfs, back etc. I got some Reebok premier running shoes with lots of cushioning before I started running and I have no trouble with knees, ankles, calfs etc, just the old hips! Thanks for you reply and any further advise would be appreciated
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trochanteric Bursitis?
            Thanks Trent, I'll Google it now!
              Its a definate possibility, has anybody suffered and recovered from this? What did you do (or not do) and how long did it take?
              finney

Resident pinniped

I have had it, but the cause of mine was a little uncommon. I got mine from severe, and I do mean SEVERE piriformis syndrome and lower back problems. My entire pelvic girdle was a disaster, basically. The tension in the muscles caused misalignment of my hips which caused friction on the trochanteric bursa. I got a cortisone injection for mine, and that helped a lot. I will say that from what I've heard in cases of "just" bursitis, it can be hard to get rid of just using the "usual" treatments like rest, ibuprofen, and PT. I would try those first, but if your case seems to be particularly stubborn, don't hesitate to get the cortisone. It's uncomfortable for maybe 30 seconds, and you can expect to be pretty sore the next day or 2, but at least in my experience the results were worth it.
                  Thanks for the replt Finney, I have suffered with piriformis syndrome before, very painful and I took a long time to recover from it (physio swears it was caused by me carrying my wallet around in my back pocket and sitting on it!!!). This pain in my hips has been around for a while, Ive rested, stretched had some physio work but nothing seems to clear it. It was mainly in my right hip, which at the moment seems OK but the left hip is really bad again this morning it seems to take lot longer to recover after a fast run than it does after a long, steady run, but all the time both hips feel weak. Can you run OK now following your injections? Did it cure the problem 100% for you? Any reoccurence?

SMART Approach

From my experience, bursitis doesn't necessarily improve with activity (getting warmed up) while tendonitis does as muscles tendons get loose. There certainly may be exceptions especially in more severe cases. Mr. Benn, it sounds like you just may not be ready for the length of long run you are running or perhaps too fast. I get the same thing as I tend to push limits of what a long run should be for my low miles (20-25) but my discomfort goes away by the next day but in the hour or two after the run, it is quite stiff at hip flexor (front hip). Slowing down helps and very gradually building helps. You may want to revisit your pace during the longer runs. Next time do 9 miles at a slower pace and see how it feels. Any difference? Also, try to get nice and loose before your run. Try a hot bath and see if that makes a difference. Or a lot of dynamic movement beforehand. Also get on floor and do some bicycles until fatigue. Try to get that area nice and warm before running. Something to try. Also, a flexibility plan for hip flexors is wise. Those muscles tighten up big time over time and regular stretching is a necessity (in my opinion) for runners and athletes.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Member Since 2008

Mr. Benn, how many miles do you have on your shoes. When you get around 300, start looking for new ones. (Something to try. Also, a flexibility plan for hip flexors is wise. Those muscles tighten up big time over time and regular stretching is a necessity (in my opinion) for runners and athletes.) TChuck is absolutely correct, I dealt with hip problems and including yoga type stretches helped greatly. Try googling yoga stretching for hips.
                      runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The oxygen channel as a nice yoga program INHALE. Of course I don't use the recording I have nearly enough. Embarrassed

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Thanks to you all for your replies, booked an appointment with Doc and company physio, will let you know their diagnosis
                            Any word Mr. Benn, I am currently dealing with similar hip problems,, just curious.
                              Hi, Ive had xray and bloods and get results on Thursday, physio had a brief look and its definately not bursitis. Ive only run twice in the last 6 weeks and its still as bad as ever, ive done loads of stretching, low inpact exercise such as cross training but running is just so painful. Outside of the hip when trying to throw the leg forward to run and painful on impact when foot hits the floor. Still doesn't feel skeletal, more muscular but very very sore, improves slightly once warmed up and running but not good!
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What did the physio say it was? Are you going to see an orthopedist or a sprots med doc?