Olive oil. (Read 912 times)

I know it is good on salads and good for you, but.. Recently someone told me that it is not as good for cooking as when heated it contains large amounts of trans fats. Is this true? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Scout7

It's not as good for cooking as other oils because it has a lower flash point, so it will burn before it gets hot enough.

A Saucy Wench

however it does not withstand high heat as well as some other oils - it has a fairly low smoke point . But I use it for sauteeing, baking, stir frying. But if you were to try to do something like deep fry or pan fry, you will have difficulties. Note EVOO has lower smoke point than more processed olive oils. "light" olive oil has a reasonably high smoke point but is not nearly as flavorful. And probably has some of the good stuff missing.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It's not as good for cooking as other oils because it has a lower flash point, so it will burn before it gets hot enough.
            however it does not withstand high heat as well as some other oils - it has a fairly low smoke point .
            Depends what you are cooking.

The Greatest of All Time

Olive oil has trans fat???? Shocked No Way. Ain't buying it. Wink
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Scout7

Depends what you are cooking.
                More importantly, it depends on how you are cooking it.

Best Present Ever

I always find this funny as when I lived in france olive oil was often suggested for high heat cooking and here it's routinely considered to be bad for that same purpose. having said that, we use olive oil for almost everything except asian-y dishes.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I use it for high heat cooking all the time.

A Saucy Wench

I use it for high heat cooking all the time.
                      But you dont eat meat. Generally high heat cooking for veggies is somewhat lower than high heat cooking for meat. I've had EVOO smoke on me. Blech. What a mess

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Fish. I sear fish in olive oil. HOT.
                        xor

Confuse yourself about the smoke point of olive oil here. I've never *tried* to go really really hot with olive oil because I was taught in cooking class about its supposedly low smoke point. Apparently, it would be something akin to crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. Oh, and according to that, EVOO has a higher smoke point than lard. Which is nice. Avocado Oil is a BAMF.

#artbydmcbride

You've taken cooking classes? Blush /melting

Runners run

xor

A boy's gotta eat. I got tired of Capn Crunch.