runDISNEY (Read 319 times)

I thought the Tower of Terror Run was long, but I figured maybe my Garmin was off? I wouldn't go into the Disney marathon expecting a PR by any means.

I paced my wife for Disney in 2011 and I didn't encounter anything that would prevent you from achieving a PR.  We were both in a start coral (I think A but can't remember where we started) and there was little to no slow down because of congestion.

Just for grins I went back and averaged my GPS recorded mileage for my last 10 marathons.  Disney came out at 26.58 (I had to stop at portopotties 3 times) and the average GPS measurement was 26.51 for my last 10 marathons.  It's a USATF certified course not a GPS certified course and by now I'm hoping everyone realizes that GPS almost always records long unless you are running in the woods.

xhristopher

I have no doubts about the course length. I just think it's hard for me to run a tangent on a crested three lane road that isn't straight. That said, my biggest potential problem is the heat. By the time I get there I'll have been used to training in the New England Winter.

That said, my biggest potential problem is the heat. By the time I get there I'll have been used to training in the New England Winter.

I hear you.  Fingers crossed it will be cool.  It is technically possible but highly unlikely given my recent string of races.  What will most likely happen is that it will be unseasonably cool one or two days after the race...

ebiss

I thought the Tower of Terror Run was long, but I figured maybe my Garmin was off? 

Tower of Terror 10 Miler according to my Garmin:

2013 - 10.10 (I was in Corral A and ran the tangents)

2012 - 10.12 (I was trying not to die)

CT JEFF

Just a quick comment - ExtendedSolo said that Disney said do not check a bag. This is incorrect. What they say is, "you must use the bag we give you if you want to check a bag" - Its a simple system, but I believe there was some serious security going on behind the scenes. There was a sign at the bag check-in "if you have GELS in your bag, you must tell us".

The check out was as simple as pie, it was actually in the Indiana Jones show set. Just give them your bib # and initial for your last name.

That was the easy part. When you go to change, there were a couple of restroom possibilities, but the folks at runDisney set up long tents mens and womens. There were even a couple benches for people who couldnt change while standing. The downside of this... no ventilation in 80 degrees and 70% humidity. Then add in 20 hot sweaty men and close the door. Simple solution I (and about everyone else) came up with is, why not put a hole in the roof? But the bottom line is that for all the many people who chose to, the bag check worked out well, and from what I hear, much better than last year where people complained about the long walk and stairs to claim their bags.

But hey - if thats all you can complain about in a race, it must have been done well. I was able to have a really fun time at the after-party. I dont know that Id pay $60 to cheer someone on, or to be at the party, but at least its an option.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

CT JEFF

As its been stated before, there are several Run Disney Challenges. Here Is a breakdown.

DUMBO CHALLENGE = 5K, 10K, HM on consecutive days.

GOOFY CHALLENGE = HM + FM on consecutive days

DOPEY CHALLENGE = 5K + 10K + HM + FM on consecutive days.

Ive been considering how hard this is, and decided to try and train for it, even though there is no chance of me doing it in 2014.

So far I completed 5K, 10K and HM (today was first day in almost 3 weeks with a run over 10 miles. I ran 11, and walked 2.2) Tomorrow I plan to run 3.1 then take up to 2 days off. Then as I start the cycle again, I plan to add to the FM day and possibly add in a low milage recovery day after my Long Run day.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

As its been stated before, there are several Run Disney Challenges. Here Is a breakdown.

I don't understand why someone would opt to do any one of these challenges instead of simply doing it all at once in one day, e.g. an ultra.  Just sign up for a 50 miler and you just did the Dopey+, and most cost less than $100 to do vs the going rate for the dopey...

As for difficulty it depends on how hard you run each race.  I've done variations of the dopey while training for ultras like 8, 8, 31, 13, and 18,8,13.1, 31 - not racing but if you maintain consistent mileage and run slow each day it is very easy to do.

xhristopher

Ive been considering how hard this is, and decided to try and train for it, even though there is no chance of me doing it in 2014.

So far I completed 5K, 10K and HM (today was first day in almost 3 weeks with a run over 10 miles. I ran 11, and walked 2.2) Tomorrow I plan to run 3.1 then take up to 2 days off. Then as I start the cycle again, I plan to add to the FM day and possibly add in a low milage recovery day after my Long Run day.

Just getting up at 3:30 am 4 days in a row while on vacation deserves it's own special award. And I agree with flatfooter. (Well, except the ultra stuff that I know nothing about.) Most of us pretty much run Dumbo mileage before any half marathon.

You Rang?

Dumbo consists of the Disneyland 10K and Disneyland Half Marathon on consecutive days.  Running the 5k is not required.

And getting up at 3:30 am four days in a row isn't a vacation at all.

RIck

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

lesliel

spam
                      LeighDS

Live Free & Run

I am highly considering doing my first full at Disney in 2015. Depending on how that goes (not just the race itself but other factors), I may try the Dopey in 2016.

To anyone and everyone that has run the full at WDW what is the hardest portion/mile/stretch/etc? A friend ran it years ago and say the upper teen miles were the hardest.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

You Rang?

To anyone and everyone that has run the full at WDW what is the hardest portion/mile/stretch/etc? A friend ran it years ago and say the upper teen miles were the hardest.

I am running my first full marathon at WDW.  From my look at the course map. the worst sections appear to be the stretch between the Speedway and Animal Kingdom, and the upper teen mile stretch along Osceola Parkway between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.  The latter stretch is straight three lane highway with several overpasses.  It looks really really boring.

I may do Goofy in 2015, but Dopey is exactly that.  Dopey.  Getting up at 4:00 am four days straight would really suck.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

ebiss

Your friend is right. After leaving Animal Kingdom the only thing to look forward to are the bananas. Remember to take two if you can, it prolongs the best part of the course after that point.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

ebiss- She said she dreaded that section of the race once she viewed the map.Maybe to seasoned marathon runners it isn't a big deal but for a first-timer is can be a huge mental challenge. But there is "entertainment" at every mile so I guess that helps break it up. She also hit the wall at mile 18 so double the fun.

Lurch - I'd definitely like to hear about your experience. I have been saying for years now if I am only able to do one marathon in my life I want it to be at Disney. The hardest part for the DOpey challenge for me would be the final full, which I guess is needless to say. But waking at 4:00 am is close to what time I usually wake-up for my morning workout.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

I ran it in 2012.  The course is pancake flat.  I didn't encounter any part of the course that I would consider hard.  As for boring, if you are running hard you will not be bored.