Recommended Running Accessory (Read 124 times)

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

It finally dawned on me how many hours I am away from home with the door unlocked and the house either empty or with a still sleeping family in it. I picked up one of these for $120 and I really wish I had done so a long time ago. I hate carrying keys (or anything else) while running.

Most of my shorts have a drawstring. I just tie my house key on there. It's free. That is a cool lock, though.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

I've thought about similar but found it cheaper to hide a key so I don't have to carry it.  At the end of the day, anyone stopped by such a basic, kick-in-able lock would probably be just as deterred by the two large and protective furballs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I've thought about similar but found it cheaper to hide a key so I don't have to carry it.  At the end of the day, anyone stopped by such a basic, kick-in-able lock would probably be just as deterred by the two large and protective furballs.

+1.  Four-legged home defense solutions FTW.

I bought one of these at Lowe's for $0.97 once:

To keep the key from flapping, I tuck it into the Road ID I wear anyway.

Considering my front door has a big leaded-glass portion, though, I'm pretty sure my Rhodesian Ridgeback is my real deterrent.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

xhristopher

It finally dawned on me how many hours I am away from home with the door unlocked and the house either empty or with a still sleeping family in it. I picked up one of these for $120 and I really wish I had done so a long time ago. I hate carrying keys (or anything else) while running.

We've got the deadbolt version and love it. No more digging out the keys coming or going.

Feeling the growl again

We've got the deadbolt version and love it. No more digging out the keys coming or going.

Thanks, I actually had not seen those versions.

I guess my point was that locks keep honest people honest.  Of course you want to lock your house, and I like combination/fingerprint options now emerging.  But anyone intent on making entry will not be majorly inconvenienced by them...most of us have glass windows on the first floor which area easily broken and entered.  I do lock my house when I run but there are additional layers of security to be considered.  After an attempted break-in of our house several years ago this was driven home.  Around here, robbers are increasingly entering homes with apparently no concern as to whether they are currently occupied...or perhaps preferring it if they are.

My avatar would tear into anyone who entered our home uninvited.  I am sure of it.  We adopted a stray and unusually large black lab which turned up in our yard about a year ago.  He is dumb...he is a tender-hearted goofball...but he is big, fast, scary as hell, and protective.  So despite occasionally pooping in the house he is going to stay.

Apologies if I'm taking the thread off the intended track...I do like the idea of the product.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

My dog is pretty good at barking when something is amiss and he was even "free". Free dogs become very expensive over time. as far as the lock is concerned, it is a clear improvement over an unlocked door.

Half Fanatic #846

When I go for a run, I lock the house, then throw my keys in the car and lock the car.  If anyone breaks in and doesn't have food with them, they would be perfectly safe.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!