Overused phrases (Read 1097 times)

xor

"Analytics" when "Analysis" would suffice...

Man, I love this stuff.

Extending: "I will perform the analysis" or "I will deal with the analytics".

Really?  You mean you'll analyze?  Ok then.

It does remind me of my favorite techie joke that got me in trouble.  I once spotted this in a very serious outage status report for one of the mainframes at USAA:

"Dumps were taken and forwarded to IBM for analysis".

I cut and pasted this somewhere and added "Now we know what they do at IBM."

This went over poorly.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Between you and I..."   Ack.

Beware, batbear...

Also, pretty much everything that's ever been said on a golf course is a cliche... why is that?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Prince of Fatness

Heh.  I almost forgot about this.

BS generator

Not at it at all. 

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

"Can I ask you a question" and "Let me ask you a question." Umm, no.

Someone earlier mentioned "at the end of the day", which seems to be a favorite of pro athletes and coaches.  I'm just waiting for some smart-ass to say something like, "Yeah, we really need to pass the ball more, because at the end of the day, you need to go to sleep."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Heh.  I almost forgot about this.

BS generator

Thank you.  My next report has just written itself.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

"could care less"

It's overused by absolutely everyone who says it, because IT"S WRONG!  If you can care less, then your level of care has not yet bottomed out.

I, on the other hand, couldn't possibly care less.  My level of care is at zero - a complete absence of care.  I couldn't give a rat's ass about those who say it wrong.

I hate the overuse of "absolutely" instead of "yes". Or, when it's added before a word, it just makes everything sound absolutely over the top!

I work with someone who often says. "What I mean is," thus allowing her to extend banal conversations by repeating everything. As in: "I was wearing a red dress, with bows on. Well, what I mean is, it's a dress, it's red and it's got bows on." Derrrrrrrr

Mitch & Pete's Mom

"Analytics" when "Analysis" would suffice...

Ah, this reminds me of another one, Strategic Planning. Is there another kind of planning? Because if you do the other kind of planning maybe you shouldn't bother.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thank you so much for this!

"Long story short" ---said at the end of a story----when in fact...the story was very, very long.

Gotta TRI

Oh i recognise this. What's worse is that my supervisor  looked like the boss from the Incredibles. Spineless little squirt.

Mine looked like Costanza from Seinfeld!

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

Gotta TRI

I hate the overuse of "absolutely" instead of "yes". Or, when it's added before a word, it just makes everything sound absolutely over the top!

Um, yeah, sorry bout that. I absolutely use absolutely, absolutely too much. And for this I am am absolutely sorry.

2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                            xor

"Long story short" ---said at the end of a story----when in fact...the story was very, very long.

Smile

I think that one is supposed to mean "that was the long version, and in summary..."

Which, well, give me ye olde executive summary up front, not at the end.

Beware, batbear...

Thought of a couple more:

My pet peeve is people who say they are "nauseous" when in fact they are "nauseated."  It's a little thing, but once you start hearing it, it's everywhere.  

The other one is from sports:  "I can't believe so and so was thrown under the bus by so and so."  I can't believe I haven't thrown someone under the bus for saying that one...literally.

mta:  I think I used "literally" in a literal sense there...or did I?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.