Overused phrases (Read 1097 times)

xor

People get thrown under the bus in the corporate world too.

When it happens too much, we have to have a Come to Jesus meeting to get our collective shit together.

"Come to Jesus meeting" got used so much that it all mushed together into one word Cometojesus meeting.

Sigh.

Beware, batbear...

I bet at some time during the cometojesus mtg. someone gets an idea and runs it up the flagpole to see who salutes.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

xor

Hey, I can salute *with* my flagpole.

Ok then.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

From my kids:  "That's SICK!"  or "That's INSANE!"  We're always having to translate to other older people who don't have kids in the house.  I guess that's always been the case, though.

"My bad" really works on my nerves.
              "Sense of urgency" usually brings me close to snapping.  "We need someone who can bring a real sense of urgency to this" usually translates into "We sat around with our design dicks in our hands for the first five months and two weeks of this project and now we need someone to make it all work in two weeks". 

Also, any one of four billion phrases that leads to scope creep.

And who am I anyway?
              Just another fat jogger, evidently.
              xor

We want to hire someone who has fire in his/her belly.

Translation: We want to hire someone who won't get pissed off when we work them close to death and pay them squat.

Menace to Sobriety

Also, pretty much everything that's ever been said on a golf course is a cliche... why is that?

Just par for the course.

MTA: All sports are cliche magnets.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

"Sense of urgency" usually brings me close to snapping.  "We need someone who can bring a real sense of urgency to this" usually translates into "We sat around with our design dicks in our hands for the first five months and two weeks of this project and now we need someone to make it all work in two weeks". 

Also, any one of four billion phrases that leads to scope creep.

When we moved here 20 years ago, someone clued us in - "In Maine, the only sense of urgency you'll feel is your own."  Very true!

When we moved here 20 years ago, someone clued us in - "In Maine, the only sense of urgency you'll feel is your own."  Very true!

I can see that.  To be honest, I have not heard that phrase one time from a Canadian either professionally or personally.  It seems to be an American "city folk" thing. 

And who am I anyway?
                        "My bad" really works on my nerves.
                        This really gets my goat also. Not hearing it quite so much anymore. But "I just screwed up, forgot to submit a quote for a million dollar contract  so we did not gett the business now you are all out of work - - My Bad". Translated means "Since I admitted I was wrong I am no longer culpable for the action". Sort of the George Washington syndrome... if I admit to guilt you can't punish me.  BS. You screwed up, I am glad you admitted  you were wrong but "You're Fired" anyway!
                          You know, one more just popped into my head that really sets me off.  I mean I tend to go from mellow to maniacal with this one.  The use of the word "fit" as a general term.  As in "he is really fit".  The only thing worse is the use of the word "fit" to describe someone who is attractive.  "Man she was fit".  When, in fact, she was 5'9" tall, 98lbs, and her idea of exercise is tanning.  The only thing she is "fit" for is to be used a pick for a very large lock.
                          And who am I anyway?

Imminent Catastrophe

That's another one, "thrown under the bus". I like it, but it's getting tired.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trigirl

You know, one more just popped into my head that really sets me off.  I mean I tend to go from mellow to maniacal with this one.  The use of the word "fit" as a general term.  As in "he is really fit".  The only thing worse is the use of the word "fit" to describe someone who is attractive.  "Man she was fit".  When, in fact, she was 5'9" tall, 98lbs, and her idea of exercise is tanning.  The only thing she is "fit" for is to be used a pick for a very large lock.

Too funny...I completely agree!!

2010 results: Muskoka long course: 2km-55km-15km- 1st in age group (qualified for Ironman Canada), 4th female amateur overall; Smith Falls triathlon- first female overall; 5 km Canada Day running race- 20:42 (fourth female overall). My first pure running race! Quinte triathlon 1.5-40km-10km Second female overall; Ktown triathlon -first female overall (2km-55km-15km) Mt Forest triathlon (500-20km-5km) 1st female overall; Brockville triathlon (750-20-5km) 1st place female overall

2011 results: (Racing with Piriformis syndrome-ouch)  Sydenham Triathlon- 1st female overall; Peterborough Triathlon-4th female (out of 185)and 1st in age group.....

Perky

Perky

How about the use of "pacifically" instead of "specifically"?  As in, "I pacifically told them what time to be here for our teaming meeting."

Or nu-cu-lar instead of nu-cle-ar (and yes, I am a rocket scientist).