"What do you do the night before the race to get a good nights sleep." (Read 793 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

How do you guys/gals get a good night sleep before a race. No matter how I plan it I have issues with getting to sleep. Do you take anything like a tylonel(sp?) pm? Suggestions or ideas.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ambien. I have chronic insomnia issues...have ever since HS. Usually Ambien works pretty well. Unisom (in the orange box) also works well--it's an antihistamine (similar to Benadryl and most other OTC sleep aids, but a different drug--Benadryl/Diphenhydramine doesn't make me sleepy). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sex will make you sleep like a baby. Big grin

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Anyone have pizza?

Not to get too political, but if I really want a good nights rest, I usually switch it to C-SPAN . If anyone from the current administration starts talking, it's lights out!! Cool
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If anyone from the current administration starts talking, it's lights out!! Cool
            See...that would just make me get all riled-up and angry...then there's no hope of sleep, even with drugs! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Ambien.
              It doesn't make you groggy the day after ??
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It doesn't make you groggy the day after ??
                Nope...did has that problem. Sometimes it wears off too early and I'm awake at 4 or 5 am...that always stinks. It tends to make me behave pretty drunkenly, though. If I don't go to bed soon enough after taking it I will start eating crap. I remember a while back there were stories of people who would gain weight on Ambien from sleep-eating. I have never had that problem, but it does make me hungry. I'm just generally hungry at bedtime, though, so I think it's more an issue of reducing my will-power, much like a few drinks will do. k

~ Sarah Kay

I have trouble sleeping a lot of nights. This is why so many of my posts here are at odd times, like 1, 2, or 3 a.m. Often it's because I have much too much on my mind. When I know I need a good night's sleep I'll force myself to crawl into bed with a magazine, usually that helps. The night before a race I get as prepared as I possibly can (gathering all my stuff and setting it out on the table), then I convince myself that there is NOTHING I can possibly do about any of the worries on my mind during the time I should be sleeping and then I close my eyes and hope for sleep! I can't take sleep aids, not that I've tried them, but anything that makes me groggy stays in my system for a long long time...and a lot of it gives me hives (yuck).

Michelle

The voice of mile 18

agree that or 1 beer and cspan

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Not me. It makes me wide awake....maybe that's the real cause of my late nights! Blush

Michelle

Along for the Ride

Michelle, have you tried "Calms Forte"? It is an all natural product and is sold in the health food section of the stores. I also get "drugged out" on just small doses of stuff and it stays too long in my system. "Calms Forte" just turns your brain off so you can rest.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Michelle, have you tried "Calms Forte"? It is an all natural product and is sold in the health food section of the stores. I also get "drugged out" on just small doses of stuff and it stays too long in my system. "Calms Forte" just turns your brain off so you can rest.
                          I never looked into anything really. I'll check it out, thank you! Smile

Michelle

I'd be interested in trying something like that! My brain runs too much as it is.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Along for the Ride

http://www.calmsforte.com/ There is also a store locator in the link. I went on a very stressful business trip a couple of weeks ago. Naturally I am a worrier, overthink and overanalyze stuff. The first night I know I slept, but I felt like my "brain was on" the whole night. You know what I mean? The thought-processes never stopped ... I was a zombie the next day. Calms forte doesn't knock you out or puts you to sleep. It helped my brain to stop for the night. I slept the same time and it seemed like the same sleep quality (hotel bed, strange surroundings) but felt more rested in the morning. The only ingredients are plants.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Falling asleep is usually not a problem, but getting a good night's sleep is, as I always wake up feeling not completely refreshed and always feel I can sleep more. Sometimes I get up to pee about 3 times during the night, which sucks. So Ambien it is for me.
                                Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt