More miles than degrees (Read 1384 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I like to use the most extreme temperature.  The coldest in the cold, the hottest in the hot.
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Don't incite people with weak minds to go out and do silly running stunts, Trent. Now I gotta go shower again.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Don't incite people with weak minds to go out and do silly running stunts, Trent. Now I gotta go shower again.

That's. Just. Awesome.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Kalsarikännit

Sept 25, 09 it was 87 degrees and I ran 100 miles... though I think you're going for low temps.  jlynnbob ran the same race. 

Arrrrggghhh!  I didn't even consider how many points I could rack up from ultras until this post.  Then I went over to the group and found this:

Games starts on any run from Dec 22 until March 29

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

mark-bixler

Yesterday I did 14 miles and the wind chill was somewhere around 7 degrees.

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

Ambient temps, not wind chill temps

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Driver, Runner, Bestie

7 miles in -2 degrees.  Added a layer of tights which helped.  First official training day of my first marathon, so I wanted to make sure to get the whole 7 miles in.  But it was cold on the run out into the wind.  Much nicer on the return.
                  Seems to make a big different if the sun is out and if your running into it or not.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Sept 25, 09 it was 87 degrees and I ran 100 miles... though I think you're going for low temps.  jlynnbob ran the same race. 

That's harder than doing it in the cold... it definitely counts.  The ultra-distance loophole had never occurred to me for this.

-------------------------------------
                    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

So far this winter I have done:

5.1 miles - temp 1*

5 miles - temp 4*

9 miles - temp 7*

11.4 miles - temp 9*

"I aim to misbehave."

We had a reacord low this morning of 27F, but I didn't run 27 miles.   The low this weekend for the Disney marathon is 27F, so I 'll be close.

Hoodoo Guru

We had a reacord low this morning of 27F, but I didn't run 27 miles.   The low this weekend for the Disney marathon is 27F, so I 'll be close.

Just because the race ends at 26.2 miles doesn't mean you have to.

The tangents are moot.

On On

I have a 50K this Sat where the expected temperature at the start is 9 degrees.  Should be a fun day.
                            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just because the race ends at 26.2 miles doesn't mean you have to.

Excellent point. You could run to the beer table, for example.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.