Can you train for a half running 3 times a week? (Read 935 times)

And if the answer is yes, Can you do one of those days (probably easy/recovery) on a TREADMILL? This would be just to FINISH a Half...I could care less about time...aiming for 10 minute miles I bet this is another question that has been asked a million times, but I did try to search first and really wanted the treadmill part answered.... Thanks
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, the treadmill is no issue. Some people do almost all of their running on a treadmill, esp in the winter. Just be sure to run with incline of at least 1% (no,not because of wind resistance. I find that 0% incline tweaks my form in a bad way. Your mileage may vary). As far as three days a week -- sure you could. But you're very unlikely to run your best in such a long race with the limited amount of miles you would run in three days. Try to bump to at least four, and five if you can. Almost all of it real easy -- at a pace you could have a conversation at. MTA: a closer read shows that you said you just want to finish. Doesn't change my answer though -- 3 days is a little too light, in my opinion.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Can you? Sure. The question is why you'd want to. Here's a thread for you on FIRST training (3 days per week) and a link to their group: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/51fb5bb5a9ad430aa9b869deda08f23a#focus If you look around, you'll find much (sometimes heated) discussion of whether its a good program. ------------ And sure you can run a day on a treadmill. There are some folks who train for marathons mostly on a treadmill. I think they're insane. But running is running. Just vary the incline a bit, maybe do one of those simulated hill programs so you're not constantly pounding the same way.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

C-R

I'm an engineer so anything is possible. Others will answer with more experience, but from my personal running you need to have base miles built and that should be around 20-30 per week for a goor HM experience (not painful or injury). My advice is to run more often than 3 days per week - shoot for 4 or 5 days. Treadmill is fine just set the incline at 1 percent. Follow the zen code- run lots, some hard, most easy. Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The issue is a workaholic husband and two kids. I could 4 days but two would have to be on a treadmill. Thanks guys
            Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th

Yoda the 4-eared cat

Yes, coz I've done it. Not with any spectacular time (2h 15mins - I work in kms and am too lazy to work out how that compares to a 10 minute mile timing). I see no reason that the easy run couldn't be done on a treadmill - with my programme there was always at least one straight run per week. Intervals is obviously a bit more tricky but you are not talking about doing all three sessions on the TM so that's not an issue. I would recommend however working with a training programme personalised to your level preferably with the input from a reputable source as I think it is important to be as efficient as possible with the 3 sessions. With my 3 month programme, I went from running the odd 10km race to being able to do a half without too much trouble (albeit slowly but finishing was also my objective). Good luck!
              kcam

Yes, most people can finish a half-marathon by running only 3 days a week with one of them on a treadmill. I once finished a 20mile walk-a-thon on 0 days of running! "Aiming for 10min miles" - don't know if this is achievable since there's no log data to look at but be really careful about 13.1 miles coming back from a broken foot. Ouch (thinking of Deena Kastor)! If you put some more info about your injury (how long ago etc) and your training it would help people give you better advice. Good luck, Chloe!
                  I've never run on a treadmill, but I did run/walk my first marathon on a three day per week "to finish" plan. It was November 4th of 2007, I finished in 3:45. You can view the calendar in my training log, my high mileage week peaked at 37 miles. More days/miles would be better, but you've got youth in your favor. Best of luck to you Alyssa, remember you get big bonus points for pics when you post your race report.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

BadDawg - what was your run/walk intervals? I am doing the run/walk method on Dec. 6th.
                    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Along for the Ride

I remember reading the race report and thinking "that is one speedy BadDawg!". Honestly, I would have never thought one can run a 3:45 marathon with the run/walk method. Good luck with the BQ race coming up!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Along for the Ride

Alyssa, I also noticed in your profile you had a broken foot - was that a stress fracture? You mention your two toddlers and your working husband; it makes sense that you won't be able to run 6 days a week. I think you can finish a HM on 3 days a week - as others said, if you can squeeze a 4th day in that would be even better. I have used the treadmill on business trips and have found it works well for me because it keeps me at the same speed throughout the run. Sometimes I slow down and speed up randomly ... And yes, change the elevation on the treadie. Anyway - I probably don't have much detailed training advice to offer (I know, I know I need to run more miles ... ), but I can sympathize with a busy life and still wanting to train. If you have your heart set on the HM - why not? It will be a great goal. Best of luck to you.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

I used the FIRST half marathon program as a progression to their actual marathon training program. I thought the half program was very challenging but good; I thought the full program was way too much for the base I had. I think these programs are for people who already have the base. If you already have the base for a half then 3 days a week should be no problem with or without FIRST. I'm going to agree that the treadmill isn't a problem but you might want to do some supplemental hamstring exercises since the treadmill won't help much there. My experience on the treadmill would suggest that your pace and distance on a treadmill will not translate to the same pace/distance outside so keep that in mind.
                          2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Along for the Ride

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm Alyssa, look at this plan. Tried and proven - maybe it can offer some guidance for your training?

IMKY13 finish!!

Yes, coz I've done it. (2h 15mins - I work in kms and am too lazy to work out how that compares to a 10 minute mile timing).
                              That would be just slightly over 10 mins per mile (10:19 to be exact). If you did a half marathon in 2h 11 mins...that would be exactly a 10 minute mile.

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Ringmaster

Hi, Chloe. I can relate to the working spouse and two young children and training for a half. First of all, congrats on taking up the challenge! 13.1 is a great distance. I ran my first half on about 4 days a week. I did most of the 3 weekday runs on the treadmill and took to the roads for the long run to get the feel for the road. I found it did change my pace. I tried to run really early on Saturday mornings, when the kids were still down. Would something like this work? Good luck with your training!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                                Mile by Mile