My husband is buying me a Garmin!! (Read 936 times)

But he's asking which one, a 205 or 305? I have not done any research. He has a handheld Garmin that I can't understand. ( Did I mention that I'm an idiot ? ) I just want an easy one that I can use to track times/miles. I don't need many special features. Any suggestions?

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I believe the only difference between the two is the HRM on the 305. I think it's pretty easy to use. You will get great advice around here to figure things out, too. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sandi Sue

Check out the newest model, the 405. It's smaller and looks more like a wristwatch. It also looks like it may be easier to read the heart rate which is a problem for me when using my 305.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't think that I would like the 405...the size is nice, but that smaller screen means that it will likely be difficult to have 4 fields showing. I use 4 on my 305 and I wouldn't want a smaller screen for that reason. I kinda like how geeky "Big Red" looks, too. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

My husband is buying me a Garmin! Any suggestions?
            Yeah, hang on to him. He's a keeper. Smile

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Lisa3.1

Yeah, hang on to him. He's a keeper.
              LOL true that
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, hang on to him. He's a keeper. Smile
                The other keepers are hubbies who are into cycling--you can buy ALL the running gear available and still spend less than they do, so you don't feel guilty. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

He's a keeper, but now he's doing his OWN research. Look out! He's already hit me with this: " The 305 also has a cadence monitor so you can use it on the bicycle. The foot monitor to use indoors is nice, but not sure it is worth the extra $. " hmmm.. We have a tandem bike. Yes, we're total geeks!

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

hmmm.. We have a tandem bike. Yes, we're total geeks!
                    Tandem bikes are cool. We have a super cheap second-hand tandem mountain bike, but someday I think a tandem road bike would be cool. I could sit back there and read while did does all the work... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

I don't think that I would like the 405...the size is nice, but that smaller screen means that it will likely be difficult to have 4 fields showing. I use 4 on my 305 and I wouldn't want a smaller screen for that reason. I kinda like how geeky "Big Red" looks, too. Wink
                      I believe the 405 will only show 3 fields but I think I remember reading that you'll be able to toggle between 4 screens. If my memory serves me right and that's correct, then you aren't losing any of the data available to you during your run. You'll just have to change screens more often to see them all. However, I couldn't imagine needing to have 12 different data items during a run. Give me my pace, distance, and how long I've been running...oh yeah, sometimes heart rate...average heart rate....average pace...time of day...okay, maybe, I do use a lot of data fields.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That reminds me...I need to play more with toggling screens, especially when I play with the HRM. I haven't used mine, yet, but that's mostly because I'm already donning so much crap for a simple run this time of the year. Perhaps when the conditions don't require YakTrax and at least 2 layers I will be trying out the HRM. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

I have to admit I'm loving my new toy (a 305). All of the things I wasn't sure about it - turned out to be no problem. It's not too big. I like the big screen. I never notice it on my wrist. And its really, really easy to use. Really intuitive. I'm not a tech guy, but you can pretty much figure it out without even looking at the manual. Put it on, hit start, and go run. I used to think it was just a silly toy, but I now think its a pretty useful training tool. As for the HRM ... eh. I've only used it twice. Fun, I guess. But it feels like wearing a bra, and doesn't tell me anything didn't I already know. Cool graphs, though. I guess I'll use it for speed work. As for the 405 ...just my opinion, but I'd wait a while on that one. I've heard rumors of several problems, not including the smaller screen issue. I'd at least wait until runners have critiqued it for six months. Besides, the price will fall quick.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Ringmaster

As for the HRM ... eh. I've only used it twice. Fun, I guess. But it feels like wearing a bra.
                            Big grin I always wondered about that. Thanks for clearing that up. I have a pretty small frame, and the 205 doesn't bother me a bit.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

JakeKnight

Let me rephrase. Tongue I'm guessing it feels like wearing a bra. I, of course, have no personal knowledge of what that might be like. That one time in college doesn't count. I was drunk, it was late, I was cold. Never mind.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

I have to admit I'm loving my new toy (a 305). All of the things I wasn't sure about it - turned out to be no problem. It's not too big. I like the big screen. I never notice it on my wrist. And its really, really easy to use. Really intuitive. I'm not a tech guy, but you can pretty much figure it out without even looking at the manual. Put it on, hit start, and go run. As for the 405 ...just my opinion, but I'd wait a while on that one. I've heard rumors of several problems, not including the smaller screen issue. I'd at least wait until runners have critiqued it for six months. Besides, the price will fall quick.
                                I agree with JK, stick with the 305 it is less than half the price of the 405 and in my opinion a better watch. As for the heart rate monitor, I always use mine and it doesn't bother me. I like watching my running progress by not only seeing my speed increase, but my heart rate go down. I like to think it is a good indicator that I am becoming more fit or at least more efficient. And for JK. Polar makes a sports bra/heart rate monitor combo unit. The best of both worlds, heh?