2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

DoppleBock

I would like a marathon PR in Houston 2012.  To accomplish this < 185.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

I would also like a marathon PR in Houston 2012.  To accomplish this < 160, and a knee that works.

xor

So I will be seeing bhearn and dbock in Houston then.  Sweet.  < 140   > 3:00:00

ok then

DoppleBock

One of those is a pretty soft goal ...  

Last time I ran Houston = 2:47 ... Obsessor ran 2:35  ... It had a few less people in it.  I remember it as a good course - But could get really hot under a sunny sky.  Breakfast was eggs and sausage etc after.  The only thing I did not like is as soon as you finished they pushed you in doors for the post race stuff - There was zero room to mill around outside.  A plus was you received 2 shirts a participant shirt and a finisher shirt.

So I will be seeing bhearn and dbock in Houston then.  Sweet.  < 140   > 3:00:00

ok then

xor

I agree. At 139, I will still be pretty soft.

Si, I've run Houston 3 times.  You are remembering correctly about the finish.

Now... for us midpacky types, the Houston course is amazingly crowded for the first 8-10 miles.  If there's ever incentive to beat 3, it would be to stay in front of the sea of humanity.

DoppleBock

In 2006 the half marathon - Starting at the same time - but at an alternative place - joined the marathon at mile #2.  When the half marathon turned around it got really lonely - I was passed my 1 guy and tried to stay glued to a girls butt the whole way - She got her OTQ at 2:46, so I lost sight of that butt around mile 20.

I agree. At 139, I will still be pretty soft.

Si, I've run Houston 3 times.  You are remembering correctly about the finish.

Now... for us midpacky types, the Houston course is amazingly crowded for the first 8-10 miles.  If there's ever incentive to beat 3, it would be to stay in front of the sea of humanity.

bhearn

I was hoping to go for 2:55 this fall, but my knee made that impossible. I won't be back to decent mileage in time to start training for Houston, which would be < 2 weeks from now (18 weeks out). I'm hoping to get in a decent 14-16 week training plan, though.

kcam

In 2006 the half marathon - Starting at the same time - but at an alternative place - joined the marathon at mile #2.  When the half marathon turned around it got really lonely - I was passed my 1 guy and tried to stay glued to a girls butt the whole way - She got her OTQ at 2:46, so I lost sight of that butt around mile 20.

You can look forward to the same deal at this year's Houston.  I'm signed up for the half marathon.  Spectate the Olympic trials marathon on Saturday, race on Sunday!

From Houston marathon website:

• Marathon and half marathon participants merge at mile 2. From downtown, participants run through the Heights and Montrose neighborhoods. At approximately mile 9, half marathoners split off from the marathon course and return to finish at the GRB. 
                  HermosaBoy

Well, I will be in Houston as well.

Looking at the course, they seem to have modified it slightly since I ran it in 2009 (I think favorably).

I started my training in earnest a few weeks ago -- 24 weeks to a new PR...

We should plan a meet up while down there -- maybe during the trials?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

How do you determine the maximum weekly mileage an individual is capable of running before its counterproductive? For me, results in an injury. Realizing everyone is different. Last running injury was a stress fracture to the 3rd metatarsal.

High mileage for me, has been 72 miles per week on average. For this sub 3:00 attempt, I was thinking about trying to get into the 80 mpw range.

I'm just now back to 60 miles per week. I'll hold that for 2 more weeks and then bump up the volume to 70 miles per week.

Get off my porch

Well I'm up next, well tomorrow in fact, in the Nottingham marathon.  Training has gone solidly but without me ever feeling fantastic, so I'm a bit of an unknown quantity going in.  I've done the miles, I'm at my lightest ever race weight and I'm uninjured, so I have no excuses.

The big issue at the moment is that the UK is about to receive the remnants of Hurricane Katia, so I may have to contend with 35 to 40 mph winds on a course with a very exposed second half (after a reasonably hilly first half), so that may throw a spanner in the works.  Fingers crossed.....

Turbolegs

All the very best man!! Blaze a trail....

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Well I'm up next, well tomorrow in fact, in the Nottingham marathon.  Training has gone solidly but without me ever feeling fantastic, so I'm a bit of an unknown quantity going in.  I've done the miles, I'm at my lightest ever race weight and I'm uninjured, so I have no excuses.

The big issue at the moment is that the UK is about to receive the remnants of Hurricane Katia, so I may have to contend with 35 to 40 mph winds on a course with a very exposed second half (after a reasonably hilly first half), so that may throw a spanner in the works.  Fingers crossed.....

Kill it!  (And here's hoping the wind lays down for you.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

kcam

Good luck Robin.

Training has gone solidly but without me ever feeling fantastic, so I'm a bit of an unknown quantity going in.

I always seem to be an unknown quantity going in, I can feel like crap on the morning of the race and have a good run.  I have such a small pool of races for comparison (and my preparation has changed greatly) that I just don't know until the thing is practically done.  Hope for the best, let the race come to you, and embrace the hurt.  That's about all I got, best of luck! 

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.