How not to run your first marathon... (Read 729 times)

PWL

Has been

My wife and I headed down to Portland for my first marathon: the Maine Marathon. She had decided to run the half, I was planning to run the full. I was a little nervous going in--because of work, I didn't get in half of the training I really wanted to. I actually had not run for a full week going into the race; it was my super-taper. We got to bed early, got up early, and made it to the race early. It was overcast and cool (around 50) when we arrived. Lots of port-a-potties, which is nice. The race started on time at 7:45 am. I ran the first couple of miles with the wife, then took off as she wanted to slow down. My initial goal going into the race was under 10:00/mile pace and possibly, under four hours. Around mile 5, I hooked up with a friendly guy who was looking to run a 3:45. We started chatting and running, having a great time. Here begins the problem. It is a fantastic thing to have someone to pace off of. But not if that person is running faster than you want to. I ran with him from miles 5-17, which was fun. However, we clicked off a few too many 8:00 miles in that stretch, and by mile 18 I was hurting pretty bad and had slowed my pace considerably. By 22 miles, my "walking through the water stops" had turned into "walking through the water stops and the 1/4 mile after them". Luckily, the last moderate hill was at mile 21. The last 3-4 miles were VERY, VERY slow. I was miserable, and pretty much running by myself--the field had cleared out at that point. Finished a far cry from strong in 4:12:43. All things considered, not a bad marathon debut. No Ryan Hall 2:08 debut, but I finished! Things the marathon taught me: --I can't start fast and hang on like I do in my shorter races; I ran 1:59 1st half/2:13 2nd half (holy positive taper!) --Definitely have to eat more on long runs: I ate very little and paid for it with a crash at the end. --It's easy to get lulled into a faster pace than you want, especially with the runners around me. [Basically, all of the stuff that all you smart folks have been saying in all the forum discussions!] PS My legs hurt! Tongue

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Congrats on finishing your first marathon! That's pretty similar to how I ran my first one too...you live and learn.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I still think you did great! You ran fast for 17 miles--that's amazing in my book! And now you know what to do differently next time AND have a PR that should be not too tough to beat. It's all good! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Things the marathon taught me: --I can't start fast and hang on like I do in my shorter races; I ran 1:59 1st half/2:13 2nd half (holy positive taper!) --Definitely have to eat more on long runs: I ate very little and paid for it with a crash at the end. --It's easy to get lulled into a faster pace than you want, especially with the runners around me. [Basically, all of the stuff that all you smart folks have been saying in all the forum discussions!] PS My legs hurt! Tongue
          Actually, that's a very respectable time and your pacing was pretty spot on. The Maine Marathon is probably the toughest marathon that I have run so far (The Pisgah Mountain Race was a tougher course, but it was in a forest and was 50 kilometers so not quite fair to compare). You also have some wicked hills to fight coming back in that second half that while are bad going out are not quite as bad. Only losing 14 minutes on the back end of that course is great, especially considering you were spot on your pace at the halfway point and that you had no experience to fall back on. The food bit is definitely something that takes practice. It wasn't until my 5th or 6th marathon that I started taking anything but water during it.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Congrats on your first marathon.
            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
              --It's easy to get lulled into a faster pace than you want, especially with the runners around me.
              Tell me about it. A humbling HM effort this weekend has eliminated any first marathon time goal I had in mind, surviving to the finish and trying to enjoy the experience are going to be my only goals now. I think 4:12:43 is much better than "not bad", it's great. Well done, you have good reason to be very proud.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

COngrats! That's a really great time for your first time out! ITA. I've run to marathons and my biggest problem is nutrition. Nerves have me eating little to nothing for the 2 days before and even less the morning of. I am in training again and have been thinking more about fueling myself for a run. I am finding it makes more of a difference than I realized. Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

Another Passion

That's awesome PWL! You finished! And, you did so in quite a respectable time I think! Way to go! Big grin

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Congratulations on your first marathon! You kicked ass! Big grin Was it hilly? You blow any seeds at the end? Dead If I do one of these 26.2 gigs, I want to come in with a pace under 11 min/mile. Right now, I just want to focus on chuckin out some more 10k and HM (maybe) events

Vim

va

PWL, congrats on you first marathon and a great finish time! Yes, please tell us more about the course.
                      PWL

Has been

Was it hilly? You blow any seeds at the end? Dead
                        No, no blowing seeds. The course is pretty hilly. There aren't any huge hills, just a series of moderate hills. Net elevation change is 0, since it's an out and back course. There is around 1000 ft actual elevation change though--around a dozen 50-75 ft hills including one at mile 17 and one at mile 20. Here is the map if you want to check it out http://www.runningahead.com/maps/6dba1e732e1f49fbbd0b16f6ff2b8c35. Surprisingly enough, I actually feel pretty good today. Smile Thanks for all the kind words!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Great job, Peter!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Peter, that's a great time! Congrats on finishing your first marathon! Any plans yet for the next one?
                            PWL

Has been

Peter, that's a great time! Congrats on finishing your first marathon! Any plans yet for the next one?
                              Haven't figured that out yet, although I was working on putting together my race schedule for 2008 this morning. My wife and I were thinking about Chicago because she has a friend going to medical school out there who we could visit/stay with. But after this year's event there, I am a little unsure about it. We'll see.

Haven't figured that out yet, although I was working on putting together my race schedule for 2008 this morning. My wife and I were thinking about Chicago because she has a friend going to medical school out there who we could visit/stay with. But after this year's event there, I am a little unsure about it. We'll see.
                                I won't run it next year (the wife will still be in law school) but I will probably run it within the two years after that depending upon her work and vacation schedules. She used to live in Chicago and already has at least 8 days worth of meals planned for when we are there, so she needs to have the time to visit for a while! I'm not worried about future races based on this year. The event is and will remain one of the fastest courses in the country, and the weather is generally much milder than it was this year.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)