Changing foot strike and need new shoes recomendation (Read 126 times)

Christirei

I started working with a PT over the summer to change my foot strike from a heel strike to a midfoot strike. She likes how i look right now, which is a midfoot landing with my heel just barely touching down after my midfoot. Changing my strike has been exactly what i needed as far as knee/ankle issues BUT i now have a shoe problem. I have worn the Brooks Pureflows for more years than i can remember. and I love them. 4mm drop, flexible with not a whole lot of cushioning. but since i have changed my foot strike, i am getting blisters like you wouldn't believe. my toes and toe nails are just in a constant state of blisters forming and healing and reforming. I have tried new socks, lacing differently, body glide, nothing is helping. I had a pair of Topos ultraflys that i gave a go when i was having knee pain and they have a much wider toe box than the pureflows and they were actually WORSE! i could feel my feet sliding in them and rubbing new blisters

If i am landing midfoot does it matter as much what the heel/toe drop of a shoe is? Are there specific shoes made for runners who land midfoot rather than heel? I have a pretty narrow foot and have tried on Hokas and Altras in the past but never liked them, are they worth looking into again? thanks for your thoughts!

SMART Approach

I would definitely try a different pair of shoes and different heel to toe drops and perhaps a bit higher heel to toe. It may be a work in progress. Have you tried wearing 2 thin layers of running socks? More friction between the 2 layers of socks rather sock to skin.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Christirei

No! i have not tried to layers of socks! i will do that tomorrow! thank you! i guess i'm heading out to my running store to just try some on

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I would think the Pureflows are exactly what you want to be running in if you’re moving to more of a midstrike. It’s not surprising you dealt with a lot of issues heel striking in those shoes, since you probably should have been in a much higher drop shoe.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

morphex

I've used sports tape against blisters, chafing toe nails etc. with great success.

Taping (wrapping with a layer or two) the second and 4th toe from the outer side of the foot is enough. Some sports tapes are better than others though.

I started working with a PT over the summer to change my foot strike from a heel strike to a midfoot strike. She likes how i look right now, which is a midfoot landing with my heel just barely touching down after my midfoot. Changing my strike has been exactly what i needed as far as knee/ankle issues BUT i now have a shoe problem. I have worn the Brooks Pureflows for more years than i can remember. and I love them. 4mm drop, flexible with not a whole lot of cushioning. but since i have changed my foot strike, i am getting blisters like you wouldn't believe. my toes and toe nails are just in a constant state of blisters forming and healing and reforming. I have tried new socks, lacing differently, body glide, nothing is helping. I had a pair of Topos ultraflys that i gave a go when i was having knee pain and they have a much wider toe box than the pureflows and they were actually WORSE! i could feel my feet sliding in them and rubbing new blisters

If i am landing midfoot does it matter as much what the heel/toe drop of a shoe is? Are there specific shoes made for runners who land midfoot rather than heel? I have a pretty narrow foot and have tried on Hokas and Altras in the past but never liked them, are they worth looking into again? thanks for your thoughts!

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

morphex

Or in your case, taping the 1st and 3rd could be right, if the foot is moving back and forth in the shoe.

I had the same problem, I think I taped the 1st toe back then. Also, something stopping the foot from going back and forth into the tip of the shoe could help.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

Injinji socks will all but eliminate toe blisters. They also have a new two-sock system.

For a midfoot strike, a rockered outsole helps. Some Hokas, Skechers MaxRoad and GoRun7. Since a midfoot strike results in a different impact pattern that isn't as harsh, you can get away with a thinner midsole. Maybe try the always good Saucony Kinvarra, or the New Balance Beacon.

And never wear the same pair or model of shoes more than two days in a row! Get a variety and rotate. This will reduce blisters and over-use injuries.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Christirei

thanks all, i'm surprised too because i thought the Pureflows would feel even better since I changed my strike, I am going to try those injini socks, you aren't the first to recommend, i just need to get on the ball and order some, and in the mean time i'll try taping to see if that makes a difference. appreciate it!

Injinji tip: get a size bigger than they say. The toe length shrinks and will press against the end of you toes. If you wear a "medium" by their chart, get the large. Don't worry, they shrink to fit.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I agree that you should get adequately sized Injinjis, but not so big that fabric might bunch up in front of your toes. That's a recipe for black toenail.

Christirei

do you all have a favorite online store for ordering them? i currently wear Balegas every day and my LRS usually offers them buy three get the fourth pair free, so i don't order my socks online

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I use Amazon, but they're $18 per pair. Anyone, please share if you know of a cheaper source.

rmcj001

IIRC, I've gotten quite a few pairs when socksaddict.com had a sale.  I usually get the light, mid and original weight no show versions. I think first couple of pairs were the crew and I also have a pair of the compression socks. Oh, I did get 3 pairs of the nu-wool no shows and if you think the other ones shrink, well these are extreme.  Oddly, there don't seem to be that many deals for these socks and you can also buy directly from Injinji or go down to REI and pick up a pair or two.  I have a couple of pair of non-injinji toe socks and I prefer the injinji.  I really like the light weight, but they wear out faster. I think the majority of mine are mid-weight and original weight.  Haven't tried the trail version, tho they look like they might be better at keeping the rocks out.

Ray

It's a good thing that socks last YEARS, it justifies the expense. Unlike shoes where you're lucky to only spend 25 cents per mile of use.

John Wood

Totally agree it’s good socks last for years. I only wear the thick darn tough brand wool socks. Had lots of blister and callous issues until I changed to darn tough. At 20 bucks a pair they need to last years.

As to the shoes, I moved to a mid foot plant a few years ago which greatly helped many issues, and the brooks pure flow was my fav. Until it seemed to get stiffer. Moved to the saucony freedom and all is good again. 

Really wish when a shoe works, it would just stay the same