IS it too much? (Read 1347 times)

I recently started running again after a 12 year slump. My wife and the girls at work wanted to start running do some events in San Antonio. I am starting to run twice a day. Once with the girls from work and then later in the evening with my wife. Although we are at very very slow paces right now and low mileage could this become a problem? I was wondering as long as my body can do it, can running twice a day be too much? Thanks all and I am jazzed about finding this site and this community. Derrick
    If the road less traveled was easy, would it be...?
    JakeKnight

Running - all exercise - is about one simple formula: stress + recovery. If you never recover, you never improve; in fact, you just get hurt and burned out and slower and weaker. There are plenty of experienced runners who run two-a-days - but that's after years of training, and they know how to recover. Why would you even want to run twice a day when you're just starting out? ---------------------------------- With that said: if you mean running at your wives/kids paces, and its very slow for you, it probably won't hurt you. But I'd be awful careful, and wouldn't do it every day.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Scout7

Agree with JK. I did doubles last year. It can be tough. The second run was always short, and always easy; it was a recovery-type run. The morning run wasn't a butt-kicker, either, but was higher mileage. I did that about 3-4 days a week. It can be taxing, and you need to be careful. I don't know that it's something a new runner should be doing. I would think that you need to develop your muscles and bones and connective tissue through consistent, easy runs, and giving yourself ample time to rest, repair, and recover after each. No need to rush things.
        Mishka-old log

I would think that you need to develop your muscles and bones and connective tissue through consistent, easy runs, and giving yourself ample time to rest, repair, and recover after each.
          I've always wondered about bone strength from an injury prevention perspective. I wonder if the bones themselves adapt to training and become stronger. Or is it rather that the muscles and connective tissues surrounding the bones become stronger and do a better job of limiting and absorbing impact that in undertrained individuals, would be transferred to the bones? I've had a history of stress fractures, so I'm curious about the distinction.
            I recently started running again after a 12 year slump. My wife and the girls at work wanted to start running do some events in San Antonio. I am starting to run twice a day. Once with the girls from work and then later in the evening with my wife. Although we are at very very slow paces right now and low mileage could this become a problem? I was wondering as long as my body can do it, can running twice a day be too much? Thanks all and I am jazzed about finding this site and this community. Derrick
            Echo, The way you are describing it I don't see any harm. As long as nothing is hurting and you feel fine, why not? Two 3-milers in the same day are easier to recover from than a single 6-miile run.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            Scout7

I've always wondered about bone strength from an injury prevention perspective. I wonder if the bones themselves adapt to training and become stronger. Or is it rather that the muscles and connective tissues surrounding the bones become stronger and do a better job of limiting and absorbing impact that in undertrained individuals, would be transferred to the bones? I've had a history of stress fractures, so I'm curious about the distinction.
              I'm willing to think it's a combination of the two. I also think that it has to do with stride mechanics. The whole reason Daniels brought up the idea of running cadence was NOT about speed, it was about economy and injury prevention. Elite runners have a higher cadence than new runners. This means that they don't bounce as high, and land softer, leading to fewer injuries.

Why is it sideways?

I tend to agree with Jim. As long as you keep it easy, there's no harm in running twice a day. Especially if you're hanging out with good folk and listening to your body. That the question of the dangerousness of running twice a day even arises says more about our sedentary culture than anything else.
                Scout7

I tend to agree with Jim. As long as you keep it easy, there's no harm in running twice a day. Especially if you're hanging out with good folk and listening to your body. That the question of the dangerousness of running twice a day even arises says more about our sedentary culture than anything else.
                  I don't think there's a harm in it, per se, if you're good about paying attention. But I think for a new runner, it can be a case of too much too soon.
                  JakeKnight

I don't think there's a harm in it, per se, if you're good about paying attention. But I think for a new runner, it can be a case of too much too soon.
                    Yeah. He was sparse on details. But if he really hasn't run in TWELVE years, starting out with two-a-days every day of the week might be something to at least be cautious with. For the inevitable results of too much too soon, see e.g. Kooky.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

I guess that's true. It might not be society raising the question. It might be Echo's sore and aching body. If the first, ignore it. If the second, listen to it.
                        Wow all this response is great. Thank you everyone. I should give more details. I have been running again for about 2 months and have a decent base of 2.5 mile runs easily. My log really only shows what I have done since my wife started and I am just adding to it more often to keep it more accurate. Tonight will be the first day of two runs. Mind you both are very light and not hard. 1st is 1.5 miles at a 16:00 min/mile pace with a new runner. 2nd is with my wife who is still at 5 minute walk w/ 3 minute run rotations. I think my question has been answered. Basically if I am killing myself on two runs a day it could be too much, but since both are weel within my limits and as long as my body isn't hurting I should be alright. To be honest I am having more fun running now than ever in my life and I am nowhere in the shape I used to be in. But I just can't stop running. Any other advise is welcome and thanks again to everyone. Feel free to tell me if you think I am wrong though. Surprised

Another Passion

My log really only shows what I have done since my wife started and I am just adding to it more often to keep it more accurate.
                          Not to be a curmudgeon Echo, but your log doesn't show anything because it is not public (modified to add - nor is your profile so, we don't know if your 14, 40, or 72 for example). You have to go to your Log Options in Options and make it available to everyone, which would make it easier for others to comment on any running situational issues or questions you post such as the one in this thread. Just some friendly $0.02. Everyone else has covered your question quite thoroughly and well. The people here rock, Echo and, welcome to RA! Big grin

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

HAHAHAHA sorry but your right I will ge tthat fixed thanks for the info.
                              New runners are highly susceptible to injury for several reasons; their muscles and connective tissues haven't had time to strengthen and toughen up and their form is generally poor. Basically the slower your pace is the more difficult it is to maintain good form. This tends to cause more damage and consequently they need more time to recover between runs. You may feel fine now running twice a day but your legs are not fully recovering between runs and while the damage may be slight, it is accumulative and it may eventually bite you. Running twice a day is something that is commonly practiced, but more by experienced runners who have spent years building up to it than by new runners. Tom
                              C-R

Tom - what constitues good form to you? I've read Pirie, Romanov, Galloway, Henderson, Lydiard, et al and can't seem to get a clear image. What do you and the forum think (and I hpe this doesn't start a holy war)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/