Upgraded to Google Maps 2 (Read 2314 times)

eric :)

Hello everyone! I just upgraded the site to use Google maps version 2. Much of it was redone from scratch, so please let me know if you see any odd behaviors. Here's what's new with it. If you are in Europe or Australia, you now have maps and quite possibly aerial photos of your city. The US and Canadian maps are also updated, so if you are living in a new neigbhorhood, you could now be on the map. There is a new button on the toolbar called "Follow route back to start". It is used for routes where the first and last parts of the run are the same. For example, if you run 2 miles to a lake, then run around it, chances are that you will run the same 2 miles back home. Instead of having to draw the last 2 miles, you can use this feature to do it for you. To use it, you would plot the first 2 miles, then plot around the lake to get back to the point where you would run back. Instead of drawing these last 2 miles yourself, just click the back-to-start button, and your last two miles will be created for you. Make sure that your last point is very close to your original route. Otherwise, it will create an out-and-back route instead. I also added a net elevation gain and loss. It will be displayed in the status bar of the map in view mode. These values are estimates only! They are not the actually gains and losses. Lastly, I like to thank Trent again for his time in testing the new map, and giving me feedbacks. It would take me longer without his help. Thank you! eric Smile
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Great work Eric! You are most welcome. Actually, it is I who should be thanking you for putting this great tool out there for the world to use, and for adding on great feature after great feature! Happy running, and thank you.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Great work Eric! You are most welcome. Actually, it is I who should be thanking you for putting this great tool out there for the world to use, and for adding on great feature after great feature! Happy running, and thank you.
        I agree totally. Thanks!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, it looks and works great, though I noticed that some of the rail trails I run on that were there on Weds. are suddenly gone--but not all of them. Very quirky. Other than that I really am enjoying this site. I'm just starting to get into distance running and the type-A person in me loves being able to map my routes and log my miles so easily and accurately. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I can't agree more... Prior to signing up here, I was totally lax in logging my mileage. Now, I get easy totals, easy route logging, cool features... I could go on forever, but I'll just say THANKS!!! You rock, Eric!
            Vancouver Marathon - May 6
            SteveB

Eric, Being able to plot a route with the map makes a huge difference. Previously, being in Australia, I only had the sat photos and if the quality was poor or the area too wooded, one did a lot of guessing where the track went. Thanks again. SB
              2009 Goals:
              Run 6:30 mile (or 6:01 1500m or 10:10 2.4k).
              Run 6:15 mile (or 5:48 1500m or 9:45 2.4k).
              Run 6:00 mile (or 5:33 1500m or 9:20 2.4k).
              Run 5:45 mile (or 5:18 1500m or 8:55 2.4k).
              2010 Goals:
              Run 5:30 mile (or 5:05 1500m or 8:30 2.4k).
              Run 5:15 mile (or 4:54 1500m or 8:10 2.4k).
              Run a 5 minute mile (or 4:37 1500m or 7:45 2.4k) before 50th birthday (Nov).

Imminent Catastrophe

Excellent! Now could the Find Routes search engine be modified to include country, right now it's just city/state, which I don't think will work outside the USA.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

eric :)

Excellent! Now could the Find Routes search engine be modified to include country, right now it's just city/state, which I don't think will work outside the USA.
                  I'm currently working on getting it to work for international users so this site won't be so US centric.
                  bas

Yesss! I'm very glad the map tool is now usable for Europe. Finding locations in Europe with the search function will make it perfect. Thanks Eric, for all your great work! Bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

THIS IS BRILLIANT AND SOME ONE TOLD ME ABOUT IT.THANKYOU VERY MUCH. Smile Big grin