Sketchers, really?!?!? (Read 591 times)

JML

Skechers recruited a number of people in my running group and gave us all a free pair of the next version of the Go Run Ride.  I am never one to turn up my nose at free stuff.  If they were not good, I thought that I could always use them for easy recovery runs or run/walk intervals with some newer runners that I am helping out.

I am surprised to find myself saying that they are a really good shoe.  They are light, responsive and perform well at faster paces.  They may well have become a candidate for my "go to shoe".  I haven't run anything of double digit length in them yet but I plan to soon.

Skechers....who knew?

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Wing

Joggaholic

I was in Hong Kong for about a month this summer and I was surprised by how Skechers was marketing themselves there as a premium brand (sort of like how Pizza Hut is a fancy sit down restaurant over there), the same GoRun2 that I got here for about $70 sells for >>$100 ... I guess they don't have a reputation problem in the new markets

TJoseph

I was in Hong Kong for about a month this summer and I was surprised by how Skechers was marketing themselves there as a premium brand (sort of like how Pizza Hut is a fancy sit down restaurant over there), the same GoRun2 that I got here for about $70 sells for >>$100 ... I guess they don't have a reputation problem in the new markets

I usually eat at Sizzler when I visit Tokyo.  It is a lot nicer restaurant there than it is in the US.

npaden

Here's a copy and paste from my current equipment inventory:

Skechers Go Bionic (Black) $43.20 37.7 mi $1.15 / mi Active
          Skechers Go Run (Gray) $43.30 418 mi $0.10 / mi Active
          Skechers Go Run (Red) $43.30 407 mi $0.11 / mi Active
          Skechers Go Run 2 (Red/Lime) $66.43 0 mi   New
          Skechers Go Run M (Neon) $43.30 316 mi $0.14 / mi Active  

I'm really wanting to get some more miles on my last pair of GoRun's so I can start wearing the pair of GoRun2's that I bought several months ago.

For me (200+ lbs) the sole does wear out quicker than other running shoes, but I've typically been replacing my other running shoes around 400 or 500 miles anyway so whether it's the sole or the cushioning breaking down, they are lasting about the same for me.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Wing

Joggaholic

Hi npaden, I would like to hear your review on the bionic vs the gorun2 later. I like the gorun2, and I want to try the bionic but I haven't been able to find a local shop with them in stock to try on yet.

My gorun2 is holding up pretty well after 500 miles, but I'm very lightweight so all my shoes seem to last forever.

ymmv

I usually eat at Sizzler when I visit Tokyo.  It is a lot nicer restaurant there than it is in the US.

Food from someplace exotic is always popular.

That's probably why there is a 'Benihana of Tokyo' in New York, and there's a 'Benihana of New York' in Tokyo.

I really like my Go Runs first edition.   Highly recommend.  I am a slow and easy runner.

Chris

npaden

Just an FYI, the Skechers Go Run Speed is on sale on Amazon right now at a deep discount in some sizes and colors.

Just picked up a size 13 in Red for $57 vs. the $120 list price.

Also the Go Bionic Trail is out and they have a few of those on sale at a slight discount.  I picked up a blue size 13 for $64 vs. the list price of $80.

I would have never bought the Go Run Speed to try out at $120, but for $57 it may become my new racing shoe.  Maybe I'll be as fast as Meb!!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

juniordo1

...I've only put 15 miles (7,4,4) on the Go Runs and I can honestly say I am surprised at how much I like them. The "bump" isn't even noticeable while running. The shoes are extremely lightweight compared to what I'm used to. I think they feel a little soft but my feet and legs haven't objected. I did expect them to be cooler than they are. I wear tech socks in them and my feet were warm in these shoes. I noticed the moisture wicks to the surface of the shoe. The lightweight upper material feels more like a sock than a shoe which I like.

I will be wearing the Go Runs on a 14 mile run tomorrow so that will be a big test for them...

Update:

I've put 59 miles on this pair of shoes so far, including long runs of 14 and 15 miles. I still like these shoes very much. I am surprised that I was able to go from ASICS 2170 with Superfeet into the Go Runs and have suffered no ill effects.I was afraid going from a very structured setup to the GoRuns would spell trouble.

I think that I would still prefer a stiffer sole for tempo or spedwork but I am going to use these shoes for everything in my current training cycle.

Following yesterday's long run, I noticed some chafing that corresponds to the spot where the tongue is sewn iin. I didn't feel or notice anything during the run and it isn't sore now but it is worth watching.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

No Talent Drips

I'm gonna give these a shot (the GoRun2 and, probably, the Speed). Anyone have any sizing observations? I can order 12s in Asics without worry...just never worn a Sketchers shoe before...

Dei Gratia

an amazing likeness

Don't know diddly about Sketchers directly, but wanted to point out that over at runningwarehouse dot com, there's a sizing tool where you can plug in what you wear in X make/model and it will tell you what to size for Y make/model.  Might be a helpful resource...or not.

I'm gonna give these a shot (the GoRun2 and, probably, the Speed). Anyone have any sizing observations? I can order 12s in Asics without worry...just never worn a Sketchers shoe before...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Don't know diddly about Sketchers directly, but wanted to point out that over at runningwarehouse dot com, there's a sizing tool where you can plug in what you wear in X make/model and it will tell you what to size for Y make/model.  Might be a helpful resource...or not.

Sadly, they don't carry Sketchers.

steph  

an amazing likeness

Good thing I threw in that "..or not" catch-all disclaimer.  Whew.

Sadly, they don't carry Sketchers.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good thing I threw in that "..or not" catch-all disclaimer.  Whew.

I'd just like to find a pair of the Sketchers Go Bionic road or trail to try on.   No Runningwerehouse availability

and our local store doesn't carry them.   It's in the process of closing and moving to Atlanta so they won't be getting them.

steph