New summary page widgets (Read 807 times)

eric :)

Hi all,

I've been focusing on a new service the last many months.  It is nearing completion and I found a bit of time to work on some minor requests.  I added two new widgets for the summary page.

Notes

This widget allows you to add short notes to your summary page.  You have the option to keep the notes private and checking the private option.  The text are compressed so I can't say what the maximum number of characters is.  I do know that you can type at least 1,000 characters.  In my tests, the limit is under 2,000.  If you go over, you'll get an error message.

Count Down

This widget creates a count down on your summary page.  It's not the prettiest widget because it's so simplistic.  You have to provide a name, the time zone of the event, and its date and time.  The time zone is required because I realized that we fly all over the world for races so the time zone is needed, unless you're willing to do time zone offset math.  For those of you that will be creating a count down to Boston, you might notice the time is off by an hour.  I thought it was a bug.  It took me several minutes to realize that we lose an hour in March due to daylight savings.

Happy New Year everyone!

eric Smile

Evolving body parts

Eric,

thanks for this. A couple of days ago I was thinking of raising a request for a countdown widget, but I thought you have better things to do and I guessed your response would be just to use the goal widget.

MTA: One question: what is the date format? It doesn't seem to accept anything and no calendar's coming up. I tried several formats.

Thanks again!

Limping Monkey,

Are you using Safari 5.1? It claims to have a built in date picker so RA deferred the rendering of the date picker to Safari. Sadly, Safari's date picker implementation is pathetic at best. In fact, it was so bad that Apple removed native date picker support from subsequent versions of Safari. The 5.1 Safari expects the date format in yyyy-mm-dd format.

eric Smile

xhristopher

I came to post the same problem as the Limping Monkey but figured it out with your response. I never would have guessed that date format. Could you possibly add a date format hint for us flummoxed with Safari? I'm on an IOS7 iPhone btw.

Hi xhristopher,

iOS7 should not have that problem because mobile Safari has a proper implementation of the date picker.  I am looking into sniffing out Safari 5, which as far as I know is the only one with this problem.

eric Smile

highonrunning

Great new features! I guess a gift is in order for the new year!

Julia1971

Oh boy! Thanks for the widgets. Endless possibilities for the notes feature. Race calendar? Target paces? Training goals? Gear wish list? (Head exploding).

xhristopher

Hi xhristopher,

iOS7 should not have that problem because mobile Safari has a proper implementation of the date picker.  I am looking into sniffing out Safari 5, which as far as I know is the only one with this problem.

eric Smile

It shouldn't. Unfortunately I just tried again in both landscape and portrait mode and couldn't get the date picker. I do get the date picker in other places such as when I enter a run.

Anyone else experiencing this with their iphone or is it just me?

It doesn't work in Chrome either but seems fine with ie 10.

Evolving body parts

Eric, the yyyy-mm-dd format works - the dash is one thing I haven't tried.

I'm using Chrome on Win7 and have no date picker.

Eric, the yyyy-mm-dd format works - the dash is one thing I haven't tried.

I'm using Chrome on Win7 and have no date picker.

Which version of Chrome are you using?

It shouldn't. Unfortunately I just tried again in both landscape and portrait mode and couldn't get the date picker. I do get the date picker in other places such as when I enter a run.

Anyone else experiencing this with their iphone or is it just me?

I'm meeting with a group of people tonight.  One of them's bound to have iOS7 so I'll give that a try.

Evolving body parts

Which version of Chrome are you using?

31.0.1650.63 m

Mamarunner

I'm having the same issue inputting a date for the countdown widget, too. I'm using Google Chrome, so not sure if that's the issue or not.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I believe that I was the one who requested the Countdown widget and it works great! Thanks! Got the Flying Pig countdown going perfectly.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental