Starting Out (Read 1213 times)

Hi, I just started running the middle of January, and love the way the logs work. Thank you. I am reading Galloways book on running and have started out with 5 min walk to 1 min run and am now doing 3 min walk / 1 min run. I can't wait till I get at least to 1-1 ratio, probably beginning of March. I wonder if anyone else has used this system to start and how successful they were with it. Currently I am walking/running at about a 11:30 min / Mile pace. (I know turtle speed, but I have to start somewhere.) I would like to be able to train for the Las Vegas Marathon by December. How likely is this?
      I haven't used that system, but know others that have, and it worked for them. As for the LV Marathon--that is entirely possible. Galloway has some good 'first-time' marathon training plans, and you certainly have plenty of time to train. I believe his schedules are set up on either an 18 or 20 week plan, so you have time to build your base/endurance before beginning a formal schedule. My two cents--there are primarily two keys to distance running (particularly a marathon): consistency and the long run. If you are consistent with your training plan (you can't skip weeks here and there, etc) and get your long run in each week, you'll be fine and will end up having an enjoyable time at the marathon. I am very familiar with the LVM course (I live in LV), and it's a fun one. If I have it right, you live in Henderson, don't you? If you haven't done it already, consider driving the course every once in a while to become familiar with it, and help keep you motivated. Good luck and good running!
      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
        Yep, you got me, I live in Anthem Hills. So when I run by my house, there are plenty of hills to tackle. I also run Sunset Park Mile a couple times a week. Thanks for the advice. When you say long run, is that relative to your current training. I ususally run 5 mi., so would a long run be 10 mi. for me? Thanks, Charles

You'll ruin your knees!

"I wonder if anyone else has used this system to start and how successful they were with it." Hi, Back in November of 2000, I hit an all time high weight and was generally inactive (long story). I decided to start running and spent 6 months hating every step, lots of knee pain, etc, etc. I stumbled across the Galloway program and actually was able to join a training group that started in June of 2001, with a target of getting ready for a marathon. This was my last chance, as I was ready to quit running altogether. Long story short, I not only got ready for that marathon (Dallas White Rock '01), but I ran three others and took up trail running (easier on the knees). Since September of 01, I have completed about 5 marathons, numerous 50K trail races, several 50 mile trail races, 2 100K trail races and am going to attempt my first 100 mile trail race on Feb 4th. Somewhere along the way I have abandoned the Galloway walk/run strategy, but I still employ walking in almost every run I do (whether racing or just enjoying the trail), letting my body and objectives be my guide. That said, you don't need to think about a 100 miler, but you do need to know that the Galloway program is a great way to break into this sport. Listen to your body and make sure you have the right shoes for you. Avoiding injury is key to getting to your goal (and maybe beyond >:]). It can be complex if you let it, but make sure you are having fun. Lastly, if there is anyway possible, find someone that is close to your pace to train with. The accountability factor is significant! Take care and keep us "posted" as to your progress. You might even want to use some shorter races as a way to break up the monotony of training for something that is almost a year away. Set intermediate goals and celebrate when you achieve them! Regards, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I don't think I can put it better than Pron8r and Lynn. They are very experienced runners and their comments are spot on. One thing I would add is that since you just started running, try not to over do it, or do too much at once. For the next month or two, don't worry about the marathon. Just enjoy running/walking, and to get used to the new routine. There will be days when you don't want to go out for a run, and it is OK to skip a day. We all have days like that. If you force yourself, you might end up hating running. If you're committed to running the marathon, you should sign up for it as soon as you can. This way, you can't back out of it, and will serve as motivation on these tough days. As Lynn suggested, having someone to run with will make the time go by quicker, especially on the long runs. Join a running club if there is one in your area. It can make a world of difference. Please keep us posted with your progress. I know that everyone here would like to hear about your training, and are willing to help with any questions. Good luck! eric Smile

The Floor Walker

Hi DoughBoy, It always fires me up when I hear about another person joining the running ranks. Welcome aboard. Just wanted to give you a few insights to the questions in your post. First, I am not really familar with the Galloway training plans but I've heard that it is very good for those first time runners. The key to starting any training plan is to stick with it! Like Pron8r says below the key to success is being consistent with your running, getting out there AT LEAST 3 days a week, if you want to see any solid improvements. Also, don't make running a chore! Running is something that you should enjoy and for a lot of veteran runners it is more a way of life than just another sport, so have FUN too! Second, you mention that you want to run the LV Marathon. I am not sure why many new runners want to go straight to the marathon, maybe because of its glamor and media attention, I don't know. In my opinion, the marathon is a harsh mistress and should not be taken lightly. Why not start off training for a more modest race like a 5k or 5mile and then build your way up to the marathon as your aerobic fitness continues to improve? Keep in mind that becoming a good runner is a loonnnggg process and is not something that can be achieved overnight, often it takes many years of consistent training to start seeing your true potential. However, if you have your heart set on the LV Marathon then please do not let me discourage you, I would say if your goal is to just finish, then yes it is certainly possible that you could do it. Hope that helps you out. You have an exciting journey ahead of you, good luck! Matt
                Hi Matt, Thanks for the welcome. I do plan on some smaller races on getting prepared for the LV Marathon, this is just the ultimate goal. I first want to get to the point where I am training with more running time than walking, then I plan on looking into some 5K and 10K and whatever else in the area. I don't plan on being too competitive right now, but am just enjoying the running so far. I also love the idea that all I need is a pair of sneakers and off I go. I visited Cincinnati the other week (where I grew up), and I ran down by riverfront and saw some things I never saw before. It was really neat to see a different side of a city that I have never seen before. This is also true for where I live, I am finding areas and sights that I would have never seen if I did not take up jogging. I have also found running to be a mood pill of sorts. After a run I always feel a few levels better than before the run. I can certainly see why running is addictive. Plus I am finding some great people that enjoy the same things as me. So far I have not met people in person running (I like running alone plus I am very busy and get my runs in when I can), but in the forums, you all seem to be great. I am looking forward to continue improving my running and enjoying the experience.
                  Hey Doughboy! I ran my first marathon 12 months after I started running (ok 12 months and 2 weeks). Listen to the folks here - especially about running with a buddy or a group and be consistent...but go for it! Also - where'd you run in the Queen City? I live here and there are hills Big grin lisa k
                  Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                    wow lisa - that's impressive!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Hi Dogh Boy, I have been running for almost a year. and I still run my long runs at 11:30 / mile pace. That is slow, but it is exactly what you need to do for Marathon training. Slow runs will give you endurance. My only advice is that you should always feel that the runs are enjoyable so that you dont burn out and give up. So keep them slow and pleasurable for the most part (pushing yourself when necessary) and shoot for running for the rest of your life.
                      Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt