Gear that brings no joy (Read 1320 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Ditto on sports bras - often more expensive than anything I wear on a run other than shoes (and sometimes more than those, too).

Also, I don't mind pink, but it is frustrating when the only color of a shoe is pink. Or there are multiple "colors" but they are all based on pink. 

TRUST THE PROCESS

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Any gear that makes me a walking billboard for a company.  If I'm going to do their advertising for them, they should be paying me.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I find Icebreaker wool socks to be very well constructed and not stoopidly expensive.

I'll give a +1 to the hydration belt.

Also, I've tried other "dry-fit" socks and they stunk up my shoes something terrible.  In fact, all "dry-fit" (AKA polyester) clothing can burn melt in hell where it belongs.  Terrible stench after a few uses and then reeks 5mins into your workout no matter how clean.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Also, I don't mind pink, but it is frustrating when the only color of a shoe is pink. Or there are multiple "colors" but they are all based on pink. 

I seriously get tired of pink. Just because I'm female doesn't mean I want my gear to be girly.

Also, I've tried other "dry-fit" socks and they stunk up my shoes something terrible.  In fact, all "dry-fit" (AKA polyester) clothing can burn melt in hell where it belongs.  Terrible stench after a few uses and then reeks 5mins into your workout no matter how clean.

The last think I do when I run is try to smell things.  Never thought about how I smell or how the clothes I wear smell.  Sorry, treadmill neighbors, I wear dry fit all the time.

(What else would you wear?  Cotton?  Doesn't that give you water blisters?)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

kcam

Any gear that makes me a walking billboard for a company.  If I'm going to do their advertising for them, they should be paying me.

Yes.  Although I understand that it's a necessary thing for sponsors to want to get their names plastered all over race shirts I rarely wear them because of this.  On top of that, must a shirt have "Finisher" as the biggest, boldest print - on front and back of shirt?  Really?  (Houston 1/2 marathon, yes I'm talking about you - GREAT shirt ... ruined)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The last think I do when I run is try to smell things.  Never thought about how I smell or how the clothes I wear smell.  Sorry, treadmill neighbors, I wear dry fit all the time.

(What else would you wear?  Cotton?  Doesn't that give you water blisters?)

Wool, baby.  I can wear the same shirt all week w/o it acquiring a funk.  See above link.  Icebreaker at Trading Post sells for a reasonable price.

Wool shirts certainly are not as light as polyester once filled with summer sweat, but I usually run shirt-less in the summer.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is why I don't wear sports bras.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is why I don't wear sports bras.

And that's why you get bloody nipples.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like the point6 brand wool socks. 

You know, I swear I read a while back that point6 was founded by some former Smartwool employees.  I've seen them at a running store an hour from me.  Next time I'm in there I will have to pick up a pair.  I have a bunch of Smartwools that are soon headed for the trash.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thankfully my latest shoes are not pink, but there was such a wealth of pink shoes on the wall at Running Room when I went. I actually sent a note to the store to let them know some of us don't adore pink and could their buyers possibly look for a bit more variety in colours. I don't know if it helps at all, but maybe if they get enough feedback, they clue in?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Julia1971

Funny - I feel that way about blue.  It seems like most shoes are blue and I have to ask if they have another color.  Any other color.

I found a sports bra that works for me, so it's a relatively painless process now. 

I agree about fuel belts and water bottles, though.  No joy whatsoever in buying them and I feel like I'm always disappointed in what I have.

Oh, and +1 on the walking billboard.  I don't notice it as much with running gear, but try buying a quality handbag without the designer's label all over it.  It's impossible.

ETA:  Just got back from shoe shopping.  Both shoes I wanted to try only came in hot pink.  LOL!  Kerry, you're on to something!

And that's why you get bloody nipples.

Back when I was really thin (I'll be there someday again), I found that when I wore a Nike compression shirt, I didn't get bloody nipples.

Can't wear that shirt now, my gut is too big.

Jeff

vegefrog

For me it's sports bras... can be a huge PITA to get on and off (especially once soaked in sweat)

After my long run yesterday, it was like a second workout getting the damn sports bra off. ARGH!

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

After my long run yesterday, it was like a second workout getting the damn sports bra off. ARGH!

I've had days where I've run long and then I can't get the bra off. I have considered cutting it once or twice, but given it is often the most expensive thing I am wearing, that though goes out the door really quick. It is like a second workout for sure.

TRUST THE PROCESS