The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey, am I the only one who thinks Congress is just stalling on the CV19 stimulus relief package?

It has the appearance of a backroom deal to try to put it off until the pandemic is over, but have a public performance of "we're trying as hard as we can, but it's that darn other side stopping us!"

I suppose they're hoping to save money by not passing it. That $1200 back in June didn't go too far for people who's employment was furloughed. And the emergency unemployment payments stopped months ago. Once the eviction protections expire, we're going to see a lot of people 6 months in arrears on their rent/mortgage out on the street.

Nope. Nancy has made it clear it isn't JUST about COVID 19. Until Joe Biden won the election of 2020.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/second-stimulus-checks-heres-why-pelosi-is-aiming-for-a-deal-right-after-election-day/

Nancy Pelosi’s ‘COVID relief’ bill is mainly just a left-wing wish list (nypost.com)

The House speaker has been badgering the GOP to pass her $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief bill to “crush the virus, so that we can reopen the economy and our schools safely.” Yet her bill would do almost nothing to achieve those goals.

Instead, though Pelosi never mentions it, her bill would rewrite election law for 2020, barring voter ID requirements, forcing states to count absentee ballots that arrive as late as 10 days after Election Day and imposing same-day voter registration everywhere, though currently only 21 states allow it. These changes don’t belong in a stimulus bill.

Pelosi’s bill promises school districts $225 billion, but only $5 billion, or 2 percent, would go to making schools safer by improving air quality or installing sinks and other hygiene upgrades.

The rest is a teachers union protection plan. Astonishingly, school districts that economize and reduce per-pupil spending or change labor contracts are automatically ineligible for stimulus funding.

Amazingly her 2.2 trillion dollar bill has now, after Joe Biden won the election, shrank to just under 1 trillion dollars. Listening to her talk about how much people NEED this money, then seeing her refuse to pass anything other than the maximum amount of everything she could fit into it let me know Joe Biden's name is going on the next check and it's going to be Republican's and Trump's fault the checks didn't go out in November. At least this time it's going to everyone including those 17-24 not considered a child, but living at home, who didn't get it last time. It's like Oprah. EVERYONE GETS A STIMULUS CHECK....that has shown it's unable to stimulate the economy.  It's honestly such a joke I just wait for my check to show up and look forward to spending it. $2,400 isn't chump change, and at least Americans won't have an additional $2,500 to claim on their taxes. It just might push some people into a category where they can't afford living expense, and make too much for government assistance because they're now "excess income" with this free money.

IRS admits to erroneously sending $34M in COVID-19 stimulus funds overseas (ktvu.com)

Hopefully everyone gets it again. $34 million is just a rounding error when you're dealing with trillions.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/couple-arrested-after-allegedly-traveling-to-hawaii-knowing-they-tested-positive-for-covid-19/ar-BB1bAoAA?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Don't go to San Francisco and try to fly to hawaii with COVID 19. Even if you live in Hawaii. Unless you have enough money to pay for bail.

Wesley Moribe and Courtney Peterson of Wailua traveled with a child on a United Airlines flight out of San Francisco to Lihue, Hawaii, on November 29.

According to a preliminary report, the couple had been instructed by the Quarantine Station at the San Francisco International Airport not to fly and to isolate, a Kaua'i Police Department news release said.

Fully aware of their positive Covid-19 test results, they nevertheless boarded the flight, endangering other passengers, according to the release.

Moribe, 41, and Peterson, 46, were arrested upon arrival in Lihue and charged with second-degree reckless endangering, the release said. They were each released on $1,000 bail.

The child was released into the care of a family member and Child Protective Services was notified, the release said. The child's relationship with the suspects was not disclosed.

"We continue to request visitors and residents alike to follow the Governor's Emergency Rules and take all necessary precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19," Kaua'i Police Chief Todd Raybuck said in the news release.

CNN was not able to find contact information nor an attorney listed for the couple on Wednesday evening.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

dhuffman63

Trails

I sure hope if someone on that plane catches Covid and then dies the couple are charged with manslaughter.  It's time people start being held accountable for their behavior.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Don't go to San Francisco and try to fly to hawaii with COVID 19. Even if you live in Hawaii. Unless you have enough money to pay for bail.

Form the opposite coast, don't go to BWI Airport if you have tested positive. I wish they said how they knew the family would be at the airport at that time.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good thing we have all that pre-testing requirements. If only we'd put travel restrictions into place because people can't be trusted to stay home and stay safe, and all those safety protocols the airlines are doing don't work enough to protect us. Airports need to close until COVID 19 is cured. It's the only way. Another layer of swiss cheese.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Form the opposite coast, don't go to BWI Airport if you have tested positive. I wish they said how they knew the family would be at the airport at that time.

Take the positive test results, contact FAA and have them look for all 9 year old passengers with his name for upcoming flights for the next week.

From the article:

Authorities provided to Maryland Transportation Authority police a description of the travelers, the time the flight departed and the destination.

EDIT:

Article interviews people who aren't happy with the situation. Discussing airports one person said this.

"I think we should have a statewide, nationwide mandate to shut down and stop it completely," said Christy Williams, a traveler.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

EDIT:

Article interviews people who aren't happy with the situation. Discussing airports one person said this.

"I think we should have a statewide, nationwide mandate to shut down and stop it completely," said Christy Williams, a traveler.

???

I'm all for nuanced approaches to how to manage life in these times and to balance various needs and risks, but...I'm struggling to understand how one reconciles traveling though airports while simultaneously advocating that they be shut down.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Take the positive test results, contact FAA and have them look for all 9 year old passengers with his name for upcoming flights for the next week.

From the article:

Authorities provided to Maryland Transportation Authority police a description of the travelers, the time the flight departed and the destination.

EDIT:

Early on (spring), the airlines made it seem like it was impossible to determine who was on their flights. I think this was in regards to incoming flights and quarantining.

Half Crazy K 2.0

???

I'm all for nuanced approaches to how to manage life in these times and to balance various needs and risks, but...I'm struggling to understand how one reconciles traveling though airports while simultaneously advocating that they be shut down.

They are only doing it because the airport is open, so thereforce it must be ok. That's about the only way I can justify it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

???

You picked up on that too huh? "we need to shut this place down....right after I finish my flight because I hate driving to visit friends/family on the holidays. it's really the safest method of travel."

Early on (spring), the airlines made it seem like it was impossible to determine who was on their flights. I think this was in regards to incoming flights and quarantining.

Yeah......it isn't. People get picked up at airports all the time. I'll never forget the guy landing in Anchorage in winter wearing hawaiian board shorts. Looked like he'd just stepped off the island, cops greeted him at the gate and he went with them knowing exactly why they were there. It's kind of like the whole thing about the cops not being able to crack into someone's phone, requesting the manufacturer allow them a backdoor key, the manufacturer saying no, and then the cops saying "oh we found a way in." it's all a bunch of bullshit covering lies.

EDIT:

Fuck yeah. Protests being essential they're exempted from this requirement to not gather with people from more than one household.

"The order, which supersedes one from June, prohibits public and private gatherings of people from more than one household and states that all businesses in the city that require people to work on location must stop operations. Walking, driving, travel on public transport, bikes, motorcycles and scooters are prohibited, other than for those undertaking essential activities."

VDOT 53.37 

Again, once more I'm relieved to see that all things revolve around partisan politics and scoring points for a chosen side.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

as goes California so goes the rest of the nation...

Newsom reveals what California's impending stay-at-home order will look like (sfgate.com)

Regions will be required to implement shutdown rules when intensive care unit capacity falls under 15%, and the governor said state projections show all regions except the Bay Area reaching this point in early December. It's estimated the Bay Area will follow in mid- to late December.

Regions that fall under the stay-at-home order will have 48 hours to close several business sectors including all dining (both indoor and outdoor), bars, wineries, personal services, hair salons and barbershops. The order expires three weeks after it is implemented but can be extended.

<section>

</section>

"If we don't act now, California's hospital system will be overwhelmed and our death rate will continue to climb," Newsom said.

Coronavirus: Hospitals filling fast with fall COVID-19 case surge (mercurynews.com)

93% capacity in Santa Clara County. I guess all that "social distance/wear a mask/wash your hands" stuff doesn't work after all and the only real cure/preventative measure is to shut down businesses. I predict other costal states will follow California's guidance.

VDOT 53.37 

MoBramExam

Regions will be required to implement shutdown rules when intensive care unit capacity falls under 15%, and the governor said state projections show all regions except the Bay Area reaching this point in early December. It's estimated the Bay Area will follow in mid- to late December.

After nearly nine months, you would expect there to be a plan in place to increase IUC capacity were there to be a second wave.

Half Crazy K 2.0

After nearly nine months, you would expect there to be a plan in place to increase IUC capacity were there to be a second wave.

There are only so many staff for the ICU beds.

Alternatively, after nearly nine months, you would think there would be a plan in place to decrease ICU demand, but here we are.

I had gotten away from looking at worldometer daily or multiple times a day but just recently started getting drawn back in. The fact we're losing a 9/11's worth of Americans per day right now, combined with the daily case numbers and the knowledge that deaths trail cases by about three weeks is filling me with dread. There are hopeful signs in vaccines on the horizon, that our medical professionals have learned a lot bout the disease to increase survival rates, and that we seem to be doing a better job keeping it out of nursing homes and assisted living facilities, but, man, there are some dark days ahead and it's going to be a bleak holiday season for A LOT of people.

Runners run