The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

After nearly nine months, you would expect there to be a plan in place to increase IUC capacity were there to be a second wave.

As I recall there were predictions last spring that there would be a second wave, so this should not be a big surprise.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MoBramExam

As I recall there were predictions last spring that there would be a second wave, so this should not be a big surprise.

Exactly.

MoBramExam

Alternatively, after nearly nine months, you would think there would be a plan in place to decrease ICU demand, but here we are.

Exactly.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ugh, so many idiots out there. My mom was supposed to move into a retirement facility in March, as we were planning my dad's funeral.  Well, Dad rebounded and is fine now and COVID put any move plans on hold.  The facility employee has stayed in touch with our family, hoping my folks will move in eventually.  This week, she invited them to come over for a tour since Dad hadn't seen the place, and they agreed!  My sister wrote a pretty pointed email to the employee - uh, no, not a good idea in Austin right now!  We haven't heard back from her yet.  I've given up trying to talk any sense into my parents, but that woman should have known better.  I guess profits trump common sense?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yet here we are still hearing how we're going to overwhelm healthcare systems. Amazing ability to NOT prepare. Just sit around singing the same songs until the vaccine gets distributed. Maybe the elected officials should say "we're going on lockdown until the vaccine is approved and distributed. It's mandatory if you want to come into society." It's about as close to the ACTUAL solution I can see.

Teresa wait.....the facility you want to put your parents in invited them for a tour, your parents agreed, and you're upset about it because you sister sent them an email? I would think the employee moved on from your parents moving in because your sister doesn't sound like she appreciated the offer to check out the facility. If your sister is so worked up about the nursing home contacting your parents she should open her doors for her family to move in.

half crazy ever since you said you live/have a cabin in Maine I think it is visited by Bruce. At one point in the book someone is quoted as saying "I thought we were spending the winter in the state of Maine" in response to "bears spend winter in a state of lethargy." random fact, but running knows no bounds.....and I kind of have random thoughts all the time.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Half Crazy K 2.0

Ugh, so many idiots out there. My mom was supposed to move into a retirement facility in March, as we were planning my dad's funeral.  Well, Dad rebounded and is fine now and COVID put any move plans on hold.  The facility employee has stayed in touch with our family, hoping my folks will move in eventually.  This week, she invited them to come over for a tour since Dad hadn't seen the place, and they agreed!  My sister wrote a pretty pointed email to the employee - uh, no, not a good idea in Austin right now!  We haven't heard back from her yet.  I've given up trying to talk any sense into my parents, but that woman should have known better.  I guess profits trump common sense?

This is a tough one. We're in a similar situation with MIL. We actually did a tour of 3 places last month. For us it came down to the risk of staying in her home with no help vs the smaller size & supports that independent living places have (cleaning, meals, on-site medical facility). In our case, the only person we had any close contact with was a sales rep. All of us were masked. They had model apartments, so we could spread out when we talked in there. So while not a no risk situation, it seemed pretty low.

Basically the options we have right now are getting someone to come into the house maybe 2 or 3 times a week to help with things like cleaning or a larger community. I think the larger facilities in MD are safer than having someone from an agency come in. With home care, you are relying on someone low wage & likely no sick time to report their symptoms honestly. Add to that she should be using the PA senior shuttle to get to appointments, which is more exposure.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Running Problem, while I have deer fighting in my backyard, I do not have a cabin in Maine. That was someone else. I'm in the Baltimore suburbs.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Running Problem, while I have deer fighting in my backyard, I do not have a cabin in Maine. That was someone else. I'm in the Baltimore suburbs.

damn.....It was someone here.

Baltimore.....so the 12 o clock boys still ride around a few streets there?

Italy bans travel between towns over Christmas | World news | The Guardian

Guess I'm not shocked. I'd actually not be able to see anyone I don't already NOT see if my state did this. Benefits of living 30 minutes from people.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Teresa wait.....the facility you want to put your parents in invited them for a tour, your parents agreed, and you're upset about it because you sister sent them an email? I would think the employee moved on from your parents moving in because your sister doesn't sound like she appreciated the offer to check out the facility. If your sister is so worked up about the nursing home contacting your parents she should open her doors for her family to move in.

half crazy ever since you said you live/have a cabin in Maine I think it is visited by Bruce. At one point in the book someone is quoted as saying "I thought we were spending the winter in the state of Maine" in response to "bears spend winter in a state of lethargy." random fact, but running knows no bounds.....and I kind of have random thoughts all the time.

I'm not upset at my sister for sending the email, I'm upset that the facility would invite people in their 80s to tour a facility that has had COVID cases.

My parents are fortunate that they have private daily caregivers - Dad was able to purchase affordable long term care insurance through his employer that pays a good bit of the cost.  I know most families can't afford that.

I'm the one who has a cabin in Maine.

Running Problem

Problem Child

They're running a business the state has deemed essential and hasn't shut down. They're probably following COVID 19 protocols for the state. No different than a daycare facility with multiple positive RSV tests (respiratory virus that kills babies) operating and taking new kids daily, or schools. If your parents don't have a problem going to take a tour your sister should talk to them instead of the facility. Is she sending out nasty emails to every salon/barber/bar/museum/grocery store as well as the ONE nursing home HER parents were invited to tour? I doubt she's contacted any OTHER care facilities about her opinion of tours.

I wonder how she feels about Illinois and Iowa.

Yes. Profits "trump" common sense. Common sense says there are people who need care facilities and telling them "sorry we're closed due to COVID 19 so find private care" doesn't seem a solution society would accept. Headlines reading "elderly couple denied care at facility. No new patients" would be an interesting article to read.

EDIT: Meanwhile...in Reno, NV

COVID Relief Structure

Makes sense. cities need artwork during these pandemic times. I'm sure the artist really needs that $500,000. I can't imagine what else the city could spend $500k on during COVID 19. 

VDOT 53.37 

dhuffman63

Trails

RP that's almost as good as the headlines of "Doctors saying they have to limit care as hospitals are overrun"  Our Gov Shitt decided a day or prayer and fasting was better than a mask mandate.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I read that as Governor Shitt. "Due to COVID 19 we all need to not eat, and pray." Sounds like March/April to me. "dear god please let there be food in the grocery store when I finally get in due to capacity restrictions. Also, can you turn the heater on about 30 degrees. This sub 30 stuff is bullshit." Stitt should have just not said anything. It's a better course of action and he looks like my governor. "I'm going to address the State because it's important to ME to do so." Great....but no one wants to listen to you speak because we know it's doing nothing to make life better."

wait....the indians want a mask mandate? What is that going to do? Open the state to pre-covid levels? My state has one. My run yesterday showed 2 people with masks. The majority of the people I saw were in the "high risk category" so I can tell you a state wide mask mandate is not worth it's weight on paper. It's for the people who claim we can't do anything until a vaccine, that may not provide long term immunity, is released and yet they still go into society risking their lives every day. I'm supposed to wear one any time I'm not at home. If an activity is too hard to do with a mask, I'm to find a new activity. Guess swimming at the local pool is going to be fun moving forward. You know...because chlorine does nothing to stop COVID 19. 

VDOT 53.37 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yes. Profits "trump" common sense. Common sense says there are people who need care facilities and telling them "sorry we're closed due to COVID 19 so find private care" doesn't seem a solution society would accept. Headlines reading "elderly couple denied care at facility. No new patients" would be an interesting article to read.

In MD and PA, the independent portion of the continuing care places were closed to new residents for a period in the spring. Assisted living & skilled nursing were open but under lots of restrictions.

I can't imagine this was a decison the places were happy with. Many require a buy-in well over 100k for independent living along with a monthly fee, so it's a big chunk of change to not fill empty apartments.

Running Problem

Problem Child

In MD and PA, the independent portion of the continuing care places were closed to new residents for a period in the spring. Assisted living & skilled nursing were open but under lots of restrictions.

I can't imagine this was a decison the places were happy with. Many require a buy-in well over 100k for independent living along with a monthly fee, so it's a big chunk of change to not fill empty apartments.

Exactly. I can't imagine why someone would be upset over facilities providing life supporting services would get upset and say it's about profits. Not everyone has $100k, or another option. I can't say I recall my governor ever saying anything about nursing homes being shut down, or not taking new patiens. He seems to be completely mute on the point, or they're deemed essential and lets them operate however they want as long as it conforms with their approved COVID 19 protcol.

With the variation in all states, and more states locking down I'm expecting COVID 19 to spread more. "hey come over we'll have lunch/dinner" is going to be more common than it was when restaurants and bars were open. MY state health offiicial said he wanted to open bars because they were SAFER than house parties. We did and they're open at 25% capacity while retail allows you to be in there at 50% capacity. Just makes no sense. Masks, some places are closed, we need federal money, and without a vaccine I cannot see how ANYTHING can be allowed. Funny how Christmas, New Years, and Valentines Day haven't been canceled. It's pretty well known the vaccine won't be out in time for society by that point. Seems like Governors believe they're doing us a favor by slowly getting us back to mandatory staying home due to everything being shut down.

Gov. Kay Ivey extends Alabama's mask mandate into December (usatoday.com)

You know....because COVID 19 doesn't want to ruin Christmas.

The industries they're targeting just blow my mind. I never once thought how dangerous it is to get my haircut compared to standing in line at the grocery store. I can't even go to a movie theater but I can go become a "cast member" and watch SNL being filmed. Just weird to think of where I catch COVID 19 and where I am safe from it. I'd rather see it ALL shut down for 2 weeks EXCEPT ACTUALLY essential businesses. Grocery stores and hospitals. Sorry home depot/lowes/goodwill/target/walmart/bed bath and beyond/starbucks/fast food but you're not essential.

VDOT 53.37 

Half Crazy K 2.0

RP, I'm ok with parts of Walmart & Target being deemed essential. In some areas, that is the grocery store (and almost everything else). Where it gets tricky is you want it just to be for grocery & pharmacy, not, oh, while I'm out let me buy Christmas decorations, new bedding & house plants. Home Depot/Lowes I would allow to open for contractors only. Shit still breaks, so if your hot water heater dies, someone should be able to get a new one.

I really hope that come Janaury 20 that as soon as Biden is sworn in there is plan that is ready to be implemented to try to get all the states on the same page. There should be some sort of consistency about travel. I live less than an hour from PA. The state of MD doesn't really care if I go there, it's exempt from travel restrictions due to proximity. The state of PA says I need a negative test or 2 week quarnatine when I arrive, doesn't matter that I live less than an hour away.