The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

HC right after I wrote that, and on my morning run, I thought of places I know of where it is THE ONLY place to buy food. There are just too many exemptions in my state and I notice, again, the mandates are being ignored. Home Depot/Lowes should have been contractor (LICENSED) from a long time ago. 

I doubt there will be a national level of COVID 19 protection that could encompass every state. If there was I might as well take New York, Texas, California and Washington into a room to come up with the plan. Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico not included. The whole ‘exempt states’ thing makes no sense other than people drive there for work. Much like people were granted exemptions from quarantining because they worked across state lines. ‘Sorry boss I can’t come in. Crossed state lines Monday. Gotta wait 2 weeks. Oh wait I’m from Vermont so I’m exempt.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Half Crazy K 2.0

RP, I think they can make exemptions for work & medical care and maybe even groceries, If you live in middle-of-no-where Cecil county near the DE and PA state lines, the closest grocery store may very well be in a different state. Problem is people took the exemption to mean the vacation spots in those neighboring states were also fair game.

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP, I think they can make exemptions for work & medical care and maybe even groceries, If you live in middle-of-no-where Cecil county near the DE and PA state lines, the closest grocery store may very well be in a different state. Problem is people took the exemption to mean the vacation spots in those neighboring states were also fair game.

In my opinion exemptions are the reason we are where we are now. Three weeks back in March was extended into June to mask mandates and 25% capacity limits. Once you start makijng exemptions people are going to exploit it just like ever other loophole in life. Santa Clara won't allow contact sports in the county. So the Sharks can play 1 hour away from home and be safe then come home. The 49ers are playing their next 2 home games in Arizona probably to protect the players from the County as Arizona is safe state. Why WOULDN'T vacationing be allowed if travel to/from that state is allowed? "oh well it's allowed but only for a select group of individuals." You might as well say Gavin Newsom's birthday party that broke all his own rules is allowed because he's elite and I'm not. Might as well say SNL paying the audience so they can be considered cast members yet no one can make a movie because they can't socially distance. I can't go to a Marathon 2 hours away, but I could show up for a protest and police would be there to keep everyone safe. No more exemptions. Martial law. Once the virus runs it's life course and has no more hosts due to it being illegal to spread it we can move on. Could have worked back in March, and back then it was a crazy idea because we had so many exemptions for things people could do while quarantining.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sorry home depot/lowes/goodwill/target/walmart/bed bath and beyond/starbucks/fast food but you're not essential.

Good thing for some that Walmart was considered essential.  While I've since changed plans, at one point my prescription drug plan required that I use a Walmart pharmacy, that or I pay an arm and a leg for prescriptions at non-plan prices.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Michigan pastor tells congregation to catch virus, 'get it over with' -- Great. 20 minutes from me.

Drink the kool-aid.

EDIT: wait....wasn't this the Sweden model? HOW did it work out for them?

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good thing for some that Walmart was considered essential.  While I've since changed plans, at one point my prescription drug plan required that I use a Walmart pharmacy, that or I pay an arm and a leg for prescriptions at non-plan prices.

Pick it up outside. Store is closed to all customers. To prevent the spread of COVID 19 to anyone.

Gov. Gavin Newsom sidesteps questions on whether data supports new business closures (sfgate.com)

huge evidence. biggest evidence you've ever seen. Evidence so big it makes Trump's evidence look TIE-knee.

From the article:

The first question came from Kathleen Ronayne of the Associated Press, who asked the governor, "You and the state and the counties have been tightening restrictions for weeks now, yet cases are continuing to go up, so how do you ensure that putting in place this order and shutting down more businesses doesn't just encourage more gatherings inside homes? What evidence do you have that shutting down things like barbershops is actually going to achieve what you want?"

"The evidence you ask? Very significant evidence, overwhelming evidence," Newsom replied. "And that's what we did by leading the nation as the first state with a stay-at-home order and we avoided the surge that many other states experienced, particularly larger states in that first wave. So we were able to bend the curve by using the same strategies, the same approaches of non-pharmaceutical interventions. So that's the evidence, and it was overwhelming."

He avoided the surge, yet somehow the lockdowns started when he said hospital beds have to be at least 15% free, and he had 5 different colors of COVID 19 lockdown. Yup. making it up as he goes along just like Donald Trump did. So glad THAT guy is leaving in a month. 

VDOT 53.37 

Half Crazy K 2.0

huge evidence. biggest evidence you've ever seen. Evidence so big it makes Trump's evidence look TIE-knee.

From the article:

The first question came from Kathleen Ronayne of the Associated Press, who asked the governor, "You and the state and the counties have been tightening restrictions for weeks now, yet cases are continuing to go up, so how do you ensure that putting in place this order and shutting down more businesses doesn't just encourage more gatherings inside homes? What evidence do you have that shutting down things like barbershops is actually going to achieve what you want?"

"The evidence you ask? Very significant evidence, overwhelming evidence," Newsom replied. "And that's what we did by leading the nation as the first state with a stay-at-home order and we avoided the surge that many other states experienced, particularly larger states in that first wave. So we were able to bend the curve by using the same strategies, the same approaches of non-pharmaceutical interventions. So that's the evidence, and it was overwhelming."

Do they make their contact tracing info somewhat public? Maryland does and while it has been a very long time since I took stats or healthcare related courses, I fail to see how they can make the absolute statements they do. If you are completing a contact tracing interview for roughhly 75% of the cases and only 14% said they attended a social gathering, how can you come to the conclusion that social gatherings are the problem.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Contact tracing - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response (ca.gov)

You can claim it's social gatherings because it's the only thing considered non-essential. Can't shut down essential businesses because someone with a positive test shopped at the nearby Walmart and possibly came in contact with any number of people in the store that day. Reviewing the camera footage takes time and at that point you might as well say "anyone who has shopped at Walmart on December 3, 2020 possibly came in contact so we recommend you quarantine at home". Same reason you can limit in person dining to 4 people yet a family of 5 can sit at a park bench and eat without catching COVID 19.

apple also added it to their iOS 14 update. Im sure google did the same with androids. I don't understand the necessity of contact tracing when it has shown me it's doing nothing to stop the spread.

EDIT:

Washington just launched a COVID-19 contact tracing app. Oregon? Maybe next month (msn.com)

Oregon is behind the times. They're too busy with decriminalizing cocaine and heroid to build an app.

VDOT 53.37 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Pick it up outside. Store is closed to all customers. To prevent the spread of COVID 19 to anyone.

Not that simple, particularly for restricted drugs like narcotics. I had to hand carry a prescription because the pharmacy wouldn't accept a phone or electronically transmitted order for that particular drug.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Half Crazy K 2.0

apple also added it to their iOS 14 update. Im sure google did the same with androids. I don't understand the necessity of contact tracing when it has shown me it's doing nothing to stop the spread.

You have to download an app for Android phones. Apple pushed it out to phones but my understanding is there is some way you activate it. I have an Android, so not sure how the Apple part works.

Testing has to be turned around in a timely manner and people have to cooperate for contact tracing to work. If it takes 5-7 days for test results to come back, the close contacts could possibly be past a 14 day "quarantine" by the time the health department  even calls. So we're likely never getting ahead of the spread. You need the tests back quick, isolate the positives and figure out the contacts. The faster all this happens, the better.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not that simple, particularly for restricted drugs like narcotics. I had to hand carry a prescription because the pharmacy wouldn't accept a phone or electronically transmitted order for that particular drug.

Very interesting you can only pick up your narcotics from Walmart. Nearby they were tied to a doctor handing out fake prescriptions mostly because they were across the street.....and you can get all your shopping done while you wait. I guess they can't check your ID at the car and you sign a waiver saying your pills arrived in a sealed container mostly because I don't take pills. I'm more fascinated you can ONLY get your medication from walmart. I assume the next closest pharmacy is REALLY far....like 45 minutes one way or something.

half yeah and you pretty much summarized why I don't see the need to worry about contact tracing. By the time it's tied to an event/location and they know the results I'll be getting tested. "excuse me sir, 7-10 days ago you were around someone who tested positive." "Uh....so do I start quarantine now or did I just finish?"?

VDOT 53.37 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm more fascinated you can ONLY get your medication from walmart. I assume the next closest pharmacy is REALLY far....like 45 minutes one way or something.

It was a requirement of my prescription insurance plan.  Walmart was 4 miles away. I would have preferred using the CVS that was only a half mile away.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Running Problem

Problem Child

It was a requirement of my prescription insurance plan.  Walmart was 4 miles away. I would have preferred using the CVS that was only a half mile away.

That’s so weird. Must have been a cost thing. I haven’t ever known insurance can pick the prescription provider. Maybe there is some kind of cvs policy about narcotics. Either way a pharmacy is essential. Birthday cards, Kitchenaid mixers, throw pillows, new makeup, underwear, televisions and fishing poles aren’t.

VDOT 53.37 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That’s so weird. Must have been a cost thing. I haven’t ever known insurance can pick the prescription provider. Maybe there is some kind of cvs policy about narcotics. Either way a pharmacy is essential. Birthday cards, Kitchenaid mixers, throw pillows, new makeup, underwear, televisions and fishing poles aren’t.

It's got nothing to do with CVS. The requirement was in the prescription insurance plan. I was given no choice by the plan. It required that I use Walmart  That's one of the reasons I now have a different plan.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K