The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

kcam

Either way a pharmacy is essential. Birthday cards, Kitchenaid mixers, throw pillows, new makeup, underwear, televisions and fishing poles aren’t.

I'm sure that's very comforting to the people who make their livings through the manufacture, sales and/or transportation of Birthday cards, Kitchenaid mixers, throw pillows, new makeup, underwear, televisions and fishing poles

Feeling the growl again

. Home Depot/Lowes should have been contractor (LICENSED) from a long time ago. 

It's cute that you live in a world where everyone can afford to hire professionals to fix everything.  There are a lots of DIYers out there because, for example, they lost their job due to COVID, and they can't afford to pay a plumber $800 to fix a faucet.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Spaniel! Good to see you. Remarkable stuff with vaccine. Where do you see the next leap with this new technology? One thing I was reading was how they think it can help the flu, in the sense that they may get to market quicker and not have to guess what the flu strains will be in February for the following winter Anything else exciting going on?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's cute that you live in a world where everyone can afford to hire professionals to fix everything.  There are a lots of DIYers out there because, for example, they lost their job due to COVID, and they can't afford to pay a plumber $800 to fix a faucet.

What is more important? Someone’s faucet leaking or 100,000 more people dead? Obviously the unemployed person’s faucet. Funny how we want mandates and to stop the virus from spreading then create exceptions for every single circumstance and expect COVID 19 to just go away.  Maybe when the 30% of American who get vaccinated for the flu get their COVID 19 shot it will make COVID 19 go away. It’s all I’ve been reading here and in the news since June and November.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm sure that's very comforting to the people who make their livings through the manufacture, sales and/or transportation of Birthday cards, Kitchenaid mixers, throw pillows, new makeup, underwear, televisions and fishing poles

Yup. Just one more essential industry added to the list. Can’t go without a birthday card. Gotta get that new fishing pole for my shelter in place. Wasn’t everyone making bread back in March? I guess kitchenaid IS essential to Covid rates going down.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yeah, we can't afford a plumber, even if we could find one easily (our longtime guy retired).  Yesterday, my husband spent several hours fixing our water system (well/pump).  I'm just thankful he is resourceful and skilled enough to make repairs.

OMR

Yeah, we can't afford a plumber, even if we could find one easily (our longtime guy retired).  Yesterday, my husband spent several hours fixing our water system (well/pump).  I'm just thankful he is resourceful and skilled enough to make repairs.

We had some plumbing work done a couple of weeks ago, that required two people and was beyond what I am capable of repairing myself.  Took the plumbers two days, and one of the guys who was there the first day (son of the owner of the company) wasn’t there the second day. The first day, the plumbers wore masks; the second day, they didn’t.  Under most circumstances, I would prefer to NOT have to have a contractor enter into my house, because I can more easily mitigate my own risk while going to Menards, Home Depot or Lowes than I can by having people in my house that have likely been in other random peoples’ houses every day leading up to their entering my house.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Maybe you make Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy etc curbside pick up only. The idea is if cities/counties/regions are to the point that the healthcare system is at capacity, you need people at home and not around other people.

mikeymike

Big box retailers like that seem like some of the easiest businesses to keep open safely AND relatively important/essential compared to many others that have been open.

And DIY is good. Division of labor is also good (and necessary for an advanced society!) It's all good, people. It's not an all or nothing thing.

Runners run

Where I live, Home Depot is the WORST place to go. Customers and employees sagging their masks, brushing up against you in aisles, reaching over your shoulder with their face inches from you to get something off a shelf, crowding right up to you in the checkout, etc. I cynically think it's because the people who frequent hardware stores are on the lower end of education and information, and either don't know or don't understand the risks of transmission. I drive further up the highway to go to the one that's less busy if I need something, and NEVER go on weekends. Ordering a custom door a few weeks ago, I asked the woman running the desk how many employees got sick, and she said about half the staff has actually been diagnosed with CV19 when they got sick since May. She also said many others had probably caught it but didn't have strong enough symptoms to notice. That was the LESS busy store.

And as a master of cynicism, I have observed that the more affluent areas have more people adhering to safety protocols. The big box grocery and other stores in my working class area of the East Bay have many more mask-saggers, close-standers, and sloppy-sanitation maintenance than over in Marin. During this wave, I'm limiting my supply trips to one day a week, over in Marin.

As for the DIY, that's what allows us to maintain a higher quality of life than our income should allow. I do home and vehicle maintenance and repair myself.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What is more important? Someone’s faucet leaking or 100,000 more people dead? Obviously the unemployed person’s faucet. Funny how we want mandates and to stop the virus from spreading then create exceptions for every single circumstance and expect COVID 19 to just go away.  Maybe when the 30% of American who get vaccinated for the flu get their COVID 19 shot it will make COVID 19 go away. It’s all I’ve been reading here and in the news since June and November.

The bottom line is that everyone has to learn to live with the virus and act as responsibly as they can. It’s easy for the work at home folk who are still earning the same money to be judgemental. A lot of folk in the hospitality industry are on the verge of bankruptcy and their staff being unemployed....put yourself in their shoes and maybe you’d have a completely different attitude.

As for DIY stores...any materials I need to order I click and collect and rarely need to go into the store. Act responsibly?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

robin from maine

That’s so weird. Must have been a cost thing. I haven’t ever known insurance can pick the prescription provider. Maybe there is some kind of cvs policy about narcotics. Either way a pharmacy is essential. Birthday cards, Kitchenaid mixers, throw pillows, new makeup, underwear, televisions and fishing poles aren’t.

I think that except for televisions, and maybe fishing poles, all of the above are sold by (chain) pharmacies.

kcam

The bottom line is that everyone has to learn to live with the virus and act as responsibly as they can. It’s easy for the work at home folk who are still earning the same money to be judgemental. A lot of folk in the hospitality industry are on the verge of bankruptcy and their staff being unemployed....put yourself in their shoes and maybe you’d have a completely different attitude.

As for DIY stores...any materials I need to order I click and collect and rarely need to go into the store. Act responsibly?

Exactly.  Put yourself in these people's shoes (I know it's really hard for those of us on this board who work in professional jobs that allow us to stay home and keep our income).  Most of these "non-essential businesses" have owners who have their entire life savings, or very close to it, tied into their business which many of them will lose now.  Would YOU be willing to give up YOUR entire life savings?  It's not so easy.

Half Crazy K 2.0

With retail & hospitality, there needs to be a relief package. It's been mentioned on here before, I think some sort of UBI for a short term period is the way to go. I can't speak for other states, but I know unemployment has been an absolute cluster in MD. Don't add to that, just get people money and then you can shut stuff down for a short term period.

ETA, shut downs should be the last resort and only used when the healthcare system is overwhelemed.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

If any of you got PPP loans, I would recommend applying for forgiveness sooner rather than later.  What a frigging disaster.  I have spent hours on it, for a loan for TWO PEOPLE (my husband and myself).  I couldn't even get IN the system for awhile, because they requested our business cell phone number in order to send me a security code.  Since that didn't match the "business phone number" I put on the original loan application, they couldn't verify the data. It took a day to figure out that mess.

Now the bank is asking for more information, such as our 2019 corporate tax return and K-1 forms.  Why?!?  My CPA said there's no reason they need that information.