The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have no definite answer to this. I was knocked out with something late January & all of February. I am part of the "interesting" group of negative flu tests and pnuemonia. An antiboidy test 4 months after the fact was negative, so no way to know what I had. About all I know is I had something viral (actual diagnosis from urgent care was "unspecified viral illness") and developed pnuemonia on top of it. I'm required to get a flu shot yearly.

As far as leadership, I think it goes a long way to have leaders who practice what they preach & take feedback when they don't. At his first covid press conference, the governor of MD had at least 10 people on the stage. Not distanced. A member of the press called him out. His repsonse was they were right, he'd do better next time. And then he did. Let's just say that doesn't happen on the federal level. It's a hell of a mixed message to read about whatever holiday parties the White House is hosting and then have a member of the federal covid task force say to avoid gatherings, don't travel for the holidays and mask up when around anyone not in your immediate household.

FYI, MD's governor is a republican.

You should check out Gavin Newsome. Homeboy goes to parties inside, lies about it, says he has data to support closing businesses then doesn't provide it when asked where the data is. I wish Gavin Newsome was resplaced by a Republican like Larry Hogan. AT least after cutting education funding he backtracked and threw more money at it. Plus California going to a Red State would BLOW MINDS. Probably internationally.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

California going to a Red State would BLOW MINDS. 

It might surprise some younger folks that for the 28 years prior to 2011, CA had a GOP Governor for 24 of them. Granted a California Republican is nothing like an Alabama Republican.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

It might surprise some younger folks that for the 28 years prior to 2011, CA had a GOP Governor for 24 of them. Granted a California Republican is nothing like an Alabama Republican.

Same with Maryland. If you have a R after your name, you get the vote of the western counties & eastern shore, you just have to convince enough people in the central part you are better than the other guy.

I'm pretty sure the GOP will fight tooth and nail against Hogan if he runs in 2024.

Running Problem

Problem Child

You're forgetting Gray Davis. The man who California actually tried to recall. In classical Democrat fashion he blamed his problems on the Republican before him. Ironically Pete Wilson ( the guy before Gray Davis) supported deregulating the energy sector and favored Enron and Gray Davis was pretty much recalled due to the energy crisis scam of making power, selling power, then buying it back at inflated prices.

Also....."Not long after Davis signed law legalizing that the DMV grant drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants, Davis was challenged to a recall election. Davis had also signed legislation requiring employers to pay for medical insurance for workers and legislation granting domestic partners many of the same rights as married people, and vetoed legislation that would have given undocumented immigrants free tuition for community college."

It was still the energy crisis that did him in. The man had a 10% SURPLUS of California's budget at one point and got recalled. If THAT isn't fiscal responsibility I'm not sure what is.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

You're forgetting Gray Davis.

Well of course that was the 4 years.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well of course that was the 4 years.

damn you and your math and my poor comprehension of internet speak. One of those years was a repeat. The history of California Governors was an interesting one. I remember hearing about Governor Davis being recalled and then years later everything going on in the state while he was governor. The many pre-dated Jeffrey Epstein level controversy with Eugene La Pietra.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I have some very hardcore rightwingers in my extended family.  They are in central California.

(Side note to add that I am a big Governor Hogan fan.  Actually I feel that MD, DC, and VA have all done a fairly decent job during this pandemic.  Yes, they've pissed off a lot of people and things suck right now, but that was going to happen anyway.  There are no good choices, just hard choices and bad choices.)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Regulators have intensified their warnings in recent weeks about hacking threats against vaccine makers and public health bodies during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine data hacked from European Medicines Agency - MarketWatch

Good thing the vaccine will be approved Friday in the United States. It will help my state avoid another lock down as rates won't stop, deaths won't stop, hospital beds keep getting filled up, and Christmas is just 2 weeks away. Governor doesn't want to tell people to cancel Christmas plans or shut down retail shopping just yet.

VDOT 53.37 

Feeling the growl again

thanks to our Republican legislature removing our governor's powers to install protections. 

You can see where Whitmer's hands were tied by our legislature.

Yeah, the State Supreme Court ruling that her executive actions violate the State Constitution had nothing to do with it...I thought Trump was bad because he acted unilaterally and ignored the law but that's OK, apparently, if you agree with the objectives?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Running Problem

Problem Child

"(The) Supreme Court ruling, handed down by a narrow majority of Republican justices, is deeply disappointing, and I vehemently disagree with the court's interpretation of the Michigan Constitution," she said. "Right now, every state and the federal government have some form of declared emergency. With this decision, Michigan will become the sole outlier at a time when the Upper Peninsula is experiencing rates of Covid infection not seen in our state since April."

Yeah I don't even need to look up what party she is affiliated with. She should stack the courts like Kamala supports. Sounds like what I call "lawyer speak for I'm pissed off that I lost." Crazy how she extended it by an EO AFTER the State legislature passed a bill saying she couldn't. Like..."no I have the authority because I say I have the authority. Look it says so right here." Except as we've seen at the Presidential level...it doesn't. Damn balancing of the powers.

My governor hasn't been questioned until recently. State legislature is going to bring up some bills like Michigan did in the 2020-2021 session to try and limit his absolute authority with no oversight. I highly doubt it will pass because unilke Michigan's court we have a majority of democrats in office.

https://apnews.com/article/michigan-coronavirus-pandemic-gretchen-whitmer-6c61240649653b080651bbaef1a92a05

Michigan’s COVID-19 trends, meanwhile, are mixed.

Hospitalizations have dropped in six of the state’s eight health care regions in the past week, Khaldun said. The statewide case rate has declined for nearly three weeks. The positivity rate, 14%, “has not changed significantly” in recent weeks and “is still quite high,” she said.

VDOT 53.37 

Feeling the growl again

"(The) Supreme Court ruling, handed down by a narrow majority of Republican justices, is deeply disappointing, and I vehemently disagree with the court's interpretation of the Michigan Constitution," she said. "Right now, every state and the federal government have some form of declared emergency. With this decision, Michigan will become the sole outlier at a time when the Upper Peninsula is experiencing rates of Covid infection not seen in our state since April."

Last I read it didn't matter which party nominated them, they are "justices" not "democratic justices" or "republican justices".  That's just political spin.  And the Governor's opinion on the Court's interpretation of the State Constitution literally means no more than any average citizen's opinion of the same.  That's called balance of powers.

What disturbs me is people who align with tyranny when it aligns with their own personal objectives, without considering the implications of accepting tyranny and setting precedent setting aside our Constitutional processes for ANY reason.  If the goal is so worthy, work with your legislature in a bipartisan manner to get things done.  Having your husband seek exceptions to get your boat launched while telling everyone else to stay at home is yet another example of a high public official ordering their minions to give up their livelihoods and do one thing, while they continue to try and continue on with their behaviors...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Running Problem

Problem Child

FDA approved the vaccine. Boston 2021 could happen in April if they’d open registration and mandate vaccines for entrants. Not like there have been any qualifiers anyways.

VDOT 53.37 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Last I read it didn't matter which party nominated them, they are "justices" not "democratic justices" or "republican justices".  That's just political spin.  And the POTUS's opinion on the Court's interpretation of the Constitution literally means no more than any average citizen's opinion of the same.  That's called balance of powers.

What disturbs me is people who align with tyranny when it aligns with their own personal objectives, without considering the implications of accepting tyranny and setting precedent setting aside our Constitutional processes for ANY reason.  If the goal is so worthy, work with your legislature in a bipartisan manner to get things done.  Having super-spreader events is yet another example of a high public official ordering their citizens to give up their lives, while they continue to try and continue on with their behaviors...

FTFY.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

FDA approved the vaccine. Boston 2021 could happen in April if they’d open registration and mandate vaccines for entrants. Not like there have been any qualifiers anyways.

Don't get your hopes up, it's not likely that the general public will reach any sort of herd immunity much before Summer. I'm at high risk and doubt I'll see a first dose of a vaccine before Spring.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

EDIT: Oh and I'll say if Kay Burley was a white male she'd have been fired from her job instead of just being allowed to withdraw from consideration for a prestigious award. Sounds like she's was going to win a new lamp #AChristmasStory

6 month suspension on full pay.  Nice work vacation if you can get it. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9039985/Kay-Burley-suspended-SIX-MONTHS-party-rule-breach.html

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)