The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1) You mean the President who tried to shut down travel from infected countries, only to have Biden and the rest of the Democrats label him a racist for doing so?  He's good at sticking his foot in his mouth but let's not blindly pretend the Democrats got this right.

He was labeled a racist because he shut down travel from China, ONLY. For nearly 2 months. He's never let-up on his "China Virus/Wuhan Flu" narrative. Meanwhile the Covid-19 cases that raged across the East Coast were genetically traced to Europe. If he cared so much about preventing the spread he would have quit the massive rallies and super-spreader events at our White House. He would have modeled the mask-wearing and social-distancing that Dr. Fauci urged.

Has he conceded, yet?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

For anyone with interest in hearing a bit more about 'Operation Warp Speed' from one of its leaders, there was recently a relatively short podcast interview with Moncef Slaoui by Steve Levitt (U Chicago econ & Freakonomics author).  Being a short 30min, it doesn't cover a lot of detail -- but has a decent explanation of the mRNA approach for laypersons around 14min in.  And, as Slaoui describes near the end, a proposal to be prepared for the next pandemic via a global sustained R&D effort.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Half Crazy K 2.0

zoom-zoom, I couldn't believe how long it took to actually stop travel from Europe. Not directly Trump's fault, but I also remember yelling at thge TV when they were talking about the Washington state nursing home and testing the patients--if you have an outbreak like that, why the F aren't you testing every staff member, visitor, vendor, etc who was there in the last 10-14 days. That was in mid February. If we couldn't figure out contact tracing then, we were screwed.

Running Problem

Problem Child

For anyone with interest in hearing a bit more about 'Operation Warp Speed' from one of its leaders, there was recently a relatively short podcast interview with Moncef Slaoui by Steve Levitt (U Chicago econ & Freakonomics author).  Being a short 30min, it doesn't cover a lot of detail -- but has a decent explanation of the mRNA approach for laypersons around 14min in.  And, as Slaoui describes near the end, a proposal to be prepared for the next pandemic via a global sustained R&D effort.

not many people care. The vaccine is out. Glad they already know when the next pandemic of COVID 19 is when we have this vaccine. Seems ironic/unpossible to have a pandemic with a vaccine though.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

--if you have an outbreak like that, why the F aren't you testing every staff member, visitor, vendor, etc who was there in the last 10-14 days. That was in mid February. If we couldn't figure out contact tracing then, we were screwed.

It's really horrifying how much pushback contact tracing has had, too. Likely from the same crowd that is convinced that Bill Gates is injecting them with a tracking chip...while they walk around with $1k GPS-enabled cell phones and/or smart watches. I've seen so much paranoia and statements from people in my community who refuse to comply with contact tracing. The same ones trotting-out the 99% survival BS and proudly breaking all social-distancing criteria. The selfishness is appalling.

~ Sarah Kay

Running Problem

Problem Child

He was labeled a racist because he shut down travel from China, ONLY. For nearly 2 months. He's never let-up on his "China Virus/Wuhan Flu" narrative. Meanwhile the Covid-19 cases that raged across the East Coast were genetically traced to Europe. If he cared so much about preventing the spread he would have quit the massive rallies and super-spreader events at our White House. He would have modeled the mask-wearing and social-distancing that Dr. Fauci urged.

Has he conceded, yet?

I mean....why restrict travel from Switzerland when the virus started in China and China mishandled it? I fail to comprehend how it's acceptable to ban travel from an unrelated country because when President Trump did this it was called a Muslim ban (

Key provisions of executive orders 13769 and 13780 cite to paragraph (f) of Title 8 of the United States Code § 1182, which discusses inadmissible aliens. Paragraph (f) states:

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

...because his travel restriction wasn't actually for the countries he said it was supposed to be about.

Dr. Fauci? The guy who said NOT to wear masks?  Golly jee, amazing how Trump changes ways and it's still bullshit but Fauci does and it's totally "listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about."

The U.S. Surgeon General said in a Feb. 29 tweet, “Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS! They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

Good Lord...with THIS kind of advice it's hard to understand why we couldn't get a handle on COVID 19 under President Trump. I mean....the guy I'm supposed to trust with this whole thing told me one thing, then changed direction 100% and I'm just supposed to blindly follow his guidance because why? It would be like you following Trump's plan and not point out every flaw, blame him for everything, and say he actually gets credit for the vaccine because it took more than just a Presdiental election to develop the vaccine.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Half Crazy K 2.0

It's really horrifying how much pushback contact tracing has had, too. Likely from the same crowd that is convinced that Bill Gates is injecting them with a tracking chip...while they walk around with $1k GPS-enabled cell phones and/or smart watches. I've seen so much paranoia and statements from people in my community who refuse to comply with contact tracing. The same ones trotting-out the 99% survival BS and proudly breaking all social-distancing criteria. The selfishness is appalling.

I've looked at the MD contact tracing data. They get contacts from roughly half the total cases and it is barely 1 person per case. There is a covid app, which is opt in on i-phone and you have to download for Android. People freaked out when it appeared on iphones, even though it was not active! The comments about it are basically no way will you track me. Or, because testing is so backed up, by the time the health department makes contact, the positive person already let contacts know & they are almost out of the quarantine period.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've looked at the MD contact tracing data. They get contacts from roughly half the total cases and it is barely 1 person per case. There is a covid app, which is opt in on i-phone and you have to download for Android. People freaked out when it appeared on iphones, even though it was not active! The comments about it are basically no way will you track me. Or, because testing is so backed up, by the time the health department makes contact, the positive person already let contacts know & they are almost out of the quarantine period.

We opted-in on all of our phones. I'll be glad when my recent spate of med appointments are well behind me. So far no contacts. My son fortunately has seen none on his end, either (though he said he has had some co-workers who have tested +, though I don't know if any have been in his direct area). DH has been working from home, so his risks would largely be from grocery trips.

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

We opted-in on all of our phones. I'll be glad when my recent spate of med appointments are well behind me. So far no contacts. My son fortunately has seen none on his end, either (though he said he has had some co-workers who have tested +, though I don't know if any have been in his direct area). DH has been working from home, so his risks would largely be from grocery trips.

I have 1 match on the app, but it wasn't considered an exposure. Based on the date, I assume it was the grocery store or less likely someone I passed while running. There is a exposure checks in the settings on my app, if you click on each one, it has if there was a match for that date.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have 1 match on the app, but it wasn't considered an exposure. Based on the date, I assume it was the grocery store or less likely someone I passed while running. There is a exposure checks in the settings on my app, if you click on each one, it has if there was a match for that date.

The running thing is wild and a little creepy -- I've wondered if a brief passing like that would trigger a match. I don't encounter a lot of people on my runs, so it's not hugely surprising. I kind of suspect that the app doesn't have great accuracy indoors (our phones don't generally work well in the store, at least), which is where my son would have his potential interactions.

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

The running thing is wild and a little creepy -- I've wondered if a brief passing like that would trigger a match. I don't encounter a lot of people on my runs, so it's not hugely surprising. I kind of suspect that the app doesn't have great accuracy indoors (our phones don't generally work well in the store, at least), which is where my son would have his potential interactions.

The way I read the info, it sounds like it could, but you both need the app and the other person needs to test positive & get a code from the health department to trigger the match. I had seen something on-line about the MD app and then went poking around on mine. In my settings, there is something with exposure checks. For the last 2 weeks, I had 40+, usually 2 or 3 per day. I clicked on each one last nigth because I was bored. Here's the only one with a match.

I'm not sure at what distance Bluetooth quits working. Last year,  DH and I were driving separate trucks up to my in-laws to move MIL into a temporary apartment by the nursing home FIL was in. I was following him at a safe distance and when I tried calling him, the Bluetooth in my truck connected to his phone and mine. He was a few car lengths in front of me.

an amazing likeness

... Glad they already know when the next pandemic of COVID 19 is when we have this vaccine. Seems ironic/unpossible to have a pandemic with a vaccine though.

The topic of improving world-wide preparation is not about COVID-19. The public health scientific community is trying to tell us that it won't be another 100 years and that we came close recently with SARS and MERS and a few others.  And, for a very reasonable level of investment we can be better prepared.

And you are wrong if you think of "this vaccine" -- thanks to the fantastic work by the scientific community over the past 10-15 years the pharma industry is bringing to bear multiple vaccines and we'll want each and every one in our toolkit.

Glad you took the time to enjoy the podcast/interview before reacting and posting, did you enjoy it?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The way I read the info, it sounds like it could, but you both need the app and the other person needs to test positive & get a code from the health department to trigger the match. I had seen something on-line about the MD app and then went poking around on mine. In my settings, there is something with exposure checks. For the last 2 weeks, I had 40+, usually 2 or 3 per day. I clicked on each one last nigth because I was bored. Here's the only one with a match.

I'm not sure at what distance Bluetooth quits working. Last year,  DH and I were driving separate trucks up to my in-laws to move MIL into a temporary apartment by the nursing home FIL was in. I was following him at a safe distance and when I tried calling him, the Bluetooth in my truck connected to his phone and mine. He was a few car lengths in front of me.

Wild. It seems like if I get much more than 20' away from my phone that my headphones will start to cut-out. But maybe it varies a lot by individual devices.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That was a great listen. His proposal for a global R&D agency with small, scalable stockpiles of potential pandemic vaccines is really such a common sense thing. I can't imagine that something like this won't receive serious consideration, going forward. How different would this have all been if we had been able to have a ready-for-prime-time vax even 3-4 months ago? The global financial considerations provided an especially critical argument in favor, on top of savings of lives.

~ Sarah Kay

Running Problem

Problem Child

The topic of improving world-wide preparation is not about COVID-19. The public health scientific community is trying to tell us that it won't be another 100 years and that we came close recently with SARS and MERS and a few others.  And, for a very reasonable level of investment we can be better prepared.

And you are wrong if you think of "this vaccine" -- thanks to the fantastic work by the scientific community over the past 10-15 years the pharma industry is bringing to bear multiple vaccines and we'll want each and every one in our toolkit.

Glad you took the time to enjoy the podcast/interview before reacting and posting, did you enjoy it?

No. I really didn't. The man's accent made it difficult to understand him, and when I have to hear about the 100s of vaccines and 14 chosen it bothers me. Trump was supposed to support Pfizer's vaccine and order more knowing it's supposed to work, yet this podcast straight up says "we don't know which one is going to work about 6.5 minutes in. He talks about the complexities of the vaccine and how companies kept their "proprietary information" to themselves and I'm supposed to believe "we're in this together." It's typical scientific community bullshit where "I have to be first" and we can't ACTUALLY work together.

I did like how he said when you DON'T have a vaccine your body makes a non-specific response to it whereas with the mRNA vaccine you're body will be equipped to make a response SOONER the SECOND time you're infected with the exact same virus.  I still fail to understand how the vaccine is better than an individuals own ability to create a non-specific response to the virus and destroy the virus without a vaccine. I also don't see why a vaccine being available changes anything  when 94% or more of the population infected with this are surviving, and 94% or more of the ENTIRE population ISN'T affected by it. They explain how the body can fight the virus without a vaccine. MILLIONS of people have shown they're capable of fighting this virus WITHOUT a vaccine.

He wants to talk about "testing" people 14 days AFTER the SECOND vaccine you "challenge" people. Great. So I have to wait for society to have a two dose vaccination to COVID 19 before we can start the discussions of when to open businesses, parks, schools, society, etc. Meanwhile the people who have recovered and created their own antibodies against the virus aren't able to have that talk. Somehow a clinical trial where people get two shots of a vaccine allows us to move towards opening society. The millions who have recovered from it while those clinical trials were going on count for nothing because they weren't in a controlled environment being injected with 1 of the 14 vaccines he decided to test. Glad I took the time to enjoy this before posting. It was as helpful as a negative COVID 19 test.

US Population: 333,546,000

US COVID 19 deaths: 303,482

0.09% of the entire United States population has died with a positive COVID 19 test without a vaccine.

99.91% of the population hasn't died from COVID 19.

US COVID 19 cases: 16,648,159

4.99% of the entire United States has been a COVID 19 case.

96.01% of the population has not been a COVID 19 case.

303,482/16,648,159 = 1.8% of the entire population of COVID 19 cases in the united States has died with a positive COVID 19 test without a vaccine. 98.2% recovery rate from COVID 19 with social distancing, masks, staying at home, and shutting down non-essential businesses.

Hope you enjoyed the math. Thanks to the fantastic work of the scientific community I've learned how to research a topic, propose a hypothesis, test the hypothesis and draw a conclusion. Hopefully there is a third round of COVID 19 with everything closing and Governors and elected officials encouraging people to stay home. As if THAT has worked to stop people from getting together inside someone's hosue "becuase it's (insert holiday here)."

VDOT 53.37