The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Dave

Holding your breath helps.  [note: may have diminishing returns] Wink

Are you ever out running and you pull your mask up as you pass someone going the other way and you catch them holding their breath as you pass because they aren't wearing a mask or didn't see you in time to pull it up? Happens to me at least once a week. Funny every time.

Runners run

Half Crazy K 2.0

Are you ever out running and you pull your mask up as you pass someone going the other way and you catch them holding their breath as you pass because they aren't wearing a mask or didn't see you in time to pull it up? Happens to me at least once a week. Funny every time.

I've noticed there is an attempt to avoid eye contact when I pull up the mask or buff. An advantage of running at 7am is hardly anyone is out, so not an issue.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Great watch on the biology and history of the coronaviruses -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtSXyGM0n-U&feature=youtu.be

startupbusiness

Getting started can be a complex task, so many unknown factors to consider as an entrepreneur. Supply Chain Consultant aim to assist founders and entrepreneurs reduce workload, avoid costly mistakes and expensive learning curve, get the time tested and proven strategies to launch the business and product, right market penetration approach, legal, structural and organizational infrastructure, and brand imaging in most time effective and cost efficient manner.

kcam

President and family not wearing masks on federal property a day after his 'mandate' to everyone to wear masks on federal property.  Great start to setting an example and getting people on your side regarding masks, Joe!

Biden and family not wearing masks

Nature is healing! It's the Covid edition of the tan suit controversy.

Runners run

President and family not wearing masks on federal property a day after his 'mandate' to everyone to wear masks on federal property.  Great start to setting an example and getting people on your side regarding masks, Joe!

Yeah, bad optics, missed photo op. Because they were in a closed area around no one except their bubble, not dangerous; but definitively a bad example. Because of the noise, I bet you won't see THAT happening again.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I should note that there is not yet a mandate.

His executive order directed agencies to implement a mask mandate.  It's obviously going to take them a few days to do so.  And when doing so, they'll need to decide how far the mask mandate goes - is it at all times?  Are there exceptions when socially distanced?  When vigorously exercising?

I'm personally watching this one with a lot of interest, since I'm in the DC area and do a lot of my running on NPS land (Rock Creek Park, Hains Point, the Mount Vernon Trail, the Capital Crescent Trail in DC, the Iwo Jima Memorial, and the C&O Towpath are all NPS).   If NPS institutes a mandatory masks at all times with no exceptions for social distancing or exercise, then I've just lost a LOT of my running routes.

I'm hoping the fact that he and his family were not wearing masks when properly socially distanced is an indication that the NPS rule, when it comes out, will have a common sense exception.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

"I'm hoping the fact that he and his family were not wearing masks when properly socially distanced is an indication that the NPS rule, when it comes out, will have a common sense exception."

You can almost guarantee it will now!

The fact that the executive order was signed means it's de-facto done.  I know you're a lawyer and there's legalese involved but to us dumb folks out there it's not a good look at all for him and his family to do this.

I should note that there is not yet a mandate.

And even when it's a mandate, it's not the type of black and white mandate that the Washington Examiner are pretending that it is.

It says, "The heads of executive departments and agencies (agencies) shall immediately take action, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to require compliance with CDC guidelines with respect to wearing masks, maintaining physical distance, and other public health measures ..."

The CDC guidelines are not MASKS AT ALL TIMES INDOORS OR OUT NO MATTER WHAT YOU GUYS LETS NOT USE OUR BRAINS AT ALL. They allow for reasonable exceptions and they list masks as only part of a multi-layered strategy to stop the spread of the virus. Speaking to cameras at a podium would seem like a reasonable exception. As would being outdoors physically distant from other people. Every photo or video of Biden that I've seen where he wasn't speaking to camera he's been wearing a mask.

Runners run

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So...here's the Executive Order

some of the language:

(a)  The heads of executive departments and agencies (agencies) shall immediately take action, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law, to require compliance with CDC guidelines with respect to wearing masks, maintaining physical distance, and other public health measures by:  on-duty or on-site Federal employees; on-site Federal contractors; and all persons in Federal buildings or on Federal lands. 

(b)  The Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), the Director of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), and the Administrator of General Services, in coordination with the President’s Management Council and the Coordinator of the COVID-19 Response and Counselor to the President (COVID-19 Response Coordinator), shall promptly issue guidance to assist heads of agencies with implementation of this section.

So there's your reference on requiring compliance to CDC guidelines.

And here's the CDC Guidance on Covid 19 safety in parks.

As I read these things together, I think that NPS has a lot of leeway.  They could theoretically require masks at all times in national parks (excepting kids under 2, those who can't breathe, and those who are unconscious) and that would be consistent with CDC guidance.  Or they could include exceptions when properly socially distanced, and that would also be consistent with CDC guidance.

We'll just have to wait and see which way they go.

Edit to add:  But...since the NPS hasn't implemented anything yet, the Biden family was not violating anything.  And if the NPS rules, when issued, state that you need not wear masks when properly social distanced, then the Biden family could do the same thing again without violating anything.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I clicked on some of the twitter posts in the article. There is a pic with the grandkids & Jill Biden and the grands have on masks (matching their formal wear) in that picture. I really wish I knew the full context. Did they take the masks off for a picture and then put them back on? Since I am sure a lot of these pictures are archived, were people instructed to take off masks for the pictures?

As far as the not wearing one while doing press conferences, TV shots, etc, I fail to see any outrage. That is the norm in most places. I've seen it can be for those who lip read since closed captioning can be iffy.

This administration has been making an effort, are they perfect, no. Is anyone with this? Probably not. They at least seem to be trying, which is more than I can say for the last one. Given the huge divide, I suspect any time Biden or anyone in his administration has a mask slip or is within 5'11" of someone, the right wing media is going to have a field day with it.

Do you think the president will make an...apology?

I haven't seen THAT happen for years!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So....the NPS rule came out:

https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/public-health-update.htm

Basically, requires masks at all times when inside, but only outside when social distancing cannot be maintained.  I'm fine with this - it's what I do already.  And it doesn't require me to wear a mask when I'm doing 2 mile repeats on NPS property with no one else in sight.

I find it interesting that there's no call out for private residential areas - NPS has a few cabins that it rents out for overnight visits.  I'd think there'd be a call out for those.  But perhaps they're not renting them right now.