The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

By the look of your splits, you went out way too fast. Your heart rate got too high to sustain. You crashed pretty quickly. Can't really blame it on the weather, it was a nice day that day.

Checked.

rlopez

Of my 308 marathons (not including the 110 ultras), 8 of them were 3:37-something. This represents my most common time. 

Ok bye

Lane

Thanks Trent!  I always have a hard time figuring out how to post pictures here but you beat me to it!

By the look of your splits, you went out way too fast. Your heart rate got too high to sustain. You crashed pretty quickly. Can't really blame it on the weather, it was a nice day that day.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is somewhat intentionally designed to be tough here, but if you have the image URL you can drop it into the box that pops up if you click on the picture icon in the posting screen when you create a new message.

Thanks Trent!  I always have a hard time figuring out how to post pictures here but you beat me to it!

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had to see the actual result. I thought it was about 2 minutes faster. Damn white privileged (official results) memory isn’t working in my favor this week. 

Either I went out too fast based on my training, or you’ve never read anything I’ve written about my Chicago Marathon experience.

The funny thing about the weather is I’m sure it changes based on who you ask and probably how they finished on race day. I heard the weather at California International Marathon wasn’t PR weather in 2019. Humid with a headwind and cold/hot.

Edited to add link to the weather for Chicago 2018.

60F with 87% humidity and rain the day before and the morning of the race. 
            According to this link it was only 95% humidity with 58F temperature.

California International Marathon weather for 2019 was probably a nice day too. I heard it was hot and had a headwind.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Some folk from the marathon thread will know that my sporting hero is the Gypsy King - Tyson Fury.  Good to see him speak out and keep it real.  His “rival” (Anthony Joshua) could only read from a racist script. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-8425483/Tyson-Fury-blasts-Anthony-Joshuas-bull-Black-Lives-Matter-speech.html

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

"run" "2" "eat"

COVID IS DEAD!!

LONG LIVE COVID!!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

COVID IS DEAD!!

LONG LIVE COVID!!

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Maine is doing well now, but my home state, Texas, is not. I think northern states are doing better because we're all outside while the southerners are having to retreat indoors due to the heat. Too simplistic, I guess, but I do think it's a factor.

Maine is doing well now, but my home state, Texas, is not. I think northern states are doing better because we're all outside while the southerners are having to retreat indoors due to the heat. Too simplistic, I guess, but I do think it's a factor.

Speaking as a Southerner, I would say it has more to do with the Ain't Skeered! Don't Tread On Me! Masks Are For Libtards! attitude.

This is probably a factor, as is the fact that the states in the Northeast (and those adjacent) that had it the worst in April are now taking it the most seriously in June. Mask wearing and social distancing is not really controversial at all here in MA, like it seems to be in some of the states now having the fastest growth in cases.

There's probably a correlation with rates of Fox News viewership as well.

Runners run

Again, there are two factors involving transmission and subsequent contraction of CV19:

1. Population density

2. Population density

Macro and micro.

You can live in a crowded area, like a city of 100k or more, but avoid contact with others or the things they lick and touch and simulate living in a town of 50 or less. Or you can move into the country and actually live like you're in a town of 50 or less.

If you're concerned about contracting or spreading CV19 to people you know, reduce your contacts with people as much as possible.

Don't go to restaurants or bars

Only go shopping when you absolutely NEED to (food and medicine only; no boredom or vanity shopping for "new outfits"). Go only once a week and get everything you need in one shot.

Wash your hands a lot.

Wipe off any door handles or anything that is frequently touched by several different people.

Don't hook up on Tinder or Grinder.

If possible, avoid going to work if you're required to be in rooms with multiple people all day.

Technically, if everyone stayed home and didn't interact unsafely with other people for 30 days, the virus would have disappeared. Those that had it would have got sick and recovered, or died, those that didn't wouldn't have been able to catch it.

And now here we are. We're going to keep milking this thing for at least another year, until a viable vaccine is available (if that's even possible).

Here's the runner analogy:

You get hurt, so you decide to "run through it" and it becomes chronic and takes several months or years to fully recover.

You get injured, and you decide to quit running for a few weeks or a month and you fully recover in just weeks.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Again, there are two factors involving transmission and subsequent contraction of CV19:

1. Population density

2. Population density

This would explain why Asian cities are doing worse than European cities, and whey European cities are doing so much worse than American cities, right?

Wait ...

Runners run

This is probably a factor, as is the fact that the states in the Northeast (and those adjacent) that had it the worst in April are now taking it the most seriously in June. Mask wearing and social distancing is not really controversial at all here in MA, like it seems to be in some of the states now having the fastest growth in cases.

There's probably a correlation with rates of Fox News viewership as well.

LOLOLOL.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

dhuffman63

Trails

That and the belief that the orange menace is invincible instead of an imbecile.