The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

It would be interesting to see that chart with the leading causes of death (cancer, heart disease, etc.) on it.

yes, there were plenty of omissions. I think the point of it is to show that CV19 has increased rapidly where all the others remain constant. I found reading between the lines kind of interesting; the ratios of the other causes of death to each other didn't change much over 6 months. Alcohol deaths grew a little more than drug deaths, but barely. I don't think any other causes of death rose or fell in regard to the causes above and below them.

Would having heart disease and cancer bars on the graph make the impact of the CV19 pandemic less severe?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It would be interesting to see that chart with the leading causes of death (cancer, heart disease, etc.) on it.

Thanks for bringing that up. I've been seeing the graph on FB for a couple of weeks and was wondering the same thing.  So...I just googled monthly deaths from cancer/heart disease.  In the US alone, heart disease is around 50000 per month, and cancer is also around 50000 per month.  Therefore, they would dwarf the other bars on the graph, and make it wholly uninteresting.

I have to read more about the parameters on that graph. I shared it without really thinking about it. Are the numbers listed the number of deaths per DAY for that date for all things? Or cumulative totals? Neither makes sense, because the bars on the graph should be changing more, and if cumulative, the numbers wouldn't be so static from start to finish (really, NO new natural disaster or other deaths in 6 months?).

The only quick info it shows is the rise in deaths of CV19 over 6 months.

mikeymike

I have to read more about the parameters on that graph. I shared it without really thinking about it. Are the numbers listed the number of deaths per DAY for that date for all things? Or cumulative totals? Neither makes sense, because the bars on the graph should be changing more, and if cumulative, the numbers wouldn't be so static from start to finish (really, NO new natural disaster or other deaths in 6 months?).

The only quick info it shows is the rise in deaths of CV19 over 6 months.

It seems fairly obvious that it's showing cumulative deaths by point in time. The size of the bars don't change much (except for Covid) because the relative position of each cause of death doesn't change much over time (again, except for Covid), but the scale of the x axis changes as the slider bar showing the date changes.

The numbers are absolutely not static, they go up steadily over time--including natural disasters.

Runners run

It seems fairly obvious that it's showing cumulative deaths by point in time. The size of the bars don't change much (except for Covid) because the relative position of each cause of death doesn't change much over time (again, except for Covid), but the scale of the x axis changes as the slider bar showing the date changes.

The numbers are absolutely not static, they go up steadily over time--including natural disasters.

Yer right!

I was replaying it in my head and confused the corresponding length of the bars with the absolute numbers.

Thanks for the correction.

mikeymike

Thanks for bringing that up. I've been seeing the graph on FB for a couple of weeks and was wondering the same thing.  So...I just googled monthly deaths from cancer/heart disease.  In the US alone, heart disease is around 50000 per month, and cancer is also around 50000 per month.  Therefore, they would dwarf the other bars on the graph, and make it wholly uninteresting.

That's true because this graph is showing global deaths and Covid has not rolled out (or been tested for) evenly across the globe, and some countries have done better than others at controlling the spread, but it has been devastating to specific countries and regions of countries at times.

On a chart like this for the US only, cancer and heart disease would dwarf all other causes except Covid, which killed about 59,000 people in the US in April, even though the huge majority of those deaths were in a handful of states with particularly bad outbreaks and cancer and heart disease were more evenly distributed. If you started the chart in March it would be more of a fair comparison than year to date.

Runners run

pepperjack

pie man

11:11 3,000 (recent)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

^^ That is a single study of a total 37 patients, so it tells us nothing at all. SARS-COV-1 gave us ~2-3 years immunity. So we need more study before we conclude anything about duration of immunity.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

A bright spot through all this has been our 22-year-old daughter.  My husband and I are swamped with engineering work.  So we told her we'd pay her to do indoor and outdoor projects.  Today she reviewed some of my precast concrete detailing drawings and found a few errors.  She is a hard worker and catches on quickly.  Smile  She's making a big run to the grocery store right now.

My husband is also teaching her to use power tools and she's helping to build a fence around his garden.  We never thought we would have this much time with her at this age.

We made the same deal with our 25-year-old son, but he is not really taking advantage of the offer.  He's preoccupied with making plans to get back to Beirut, where his Syrian girlfriend is still in school.  I don't think it's wise for him to go, but it's out of my control so I try not to worry.

Oldest son with schizophrenia is back in his supported housing and doing OK.  And Dad is out of hospice, to everyone's amazement (his improvement has held steady for months now).  So we feel very fortunate at the moment.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

^^ That is a single study of a total 37 patients, so it tells us nothing at all. SARS-COV-1 gave us ~2-3 years immunity. So we need more study before we conclude anything about duration of immunity.

This is right. I think at worst, we should expect to have to get a COVID vaccine annually, or booster shots here and there. It's doubtful it will be a life long vaccine. Which of course means that 90% of the population will get it year 1, but within a few years, it will drop below 50% just like the flu vaccine.

Speaking of which, get your flu vaccine this year everyone. It's more important this fall than any year you've ever gotten it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

One caveat; that 2-3 years of SARS-COV-1 immunity resulted in part to it pretty much disappearing. MERS disappeared, too.

mikeymike

I'm used to how stupid our politics is but it still shocks me sometimes that one party has turned something as basic as wearing a mask to prevent the spread of a highly contagious and deadly disease into a partisan issue.

We need a conservative movement in favor of mask wearing right now or many tens of thousands of Americans are going to needlessly die.

What I don't understand is what red state governors in particular are afraid of--public opinion would back them up in this. The president's approval is in the toilet and on this issue it's even worse. Their brains have been broken by right wing media.

Runners run

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

There is the partisan issue (which is not in the US only, by the way).

But there's a lot to be said about how wearing masks is being sold to the population. People have habits and will fight tooth and nail to preserve their habits. And wearing masks is very uncomfortable. So it has to be a good message to get people wearing.

Some people still don't wear seat belts in the back seats to this day (a considerable amount of people).

It does not help that some places are making face masks mandatory ANYTIME+ANYWHERE you are outside your home.

Here in Italy they made it mandatory in situations where social distancing is not possible, so public transport, closed spaces/offices, or public places where there's a big crowd tight together. Any other time you're okay to be without a mask.

That makes sense, so more people adhere to it.

I think they should start some sort of fashion trend of sorts, where wearing masks in certain situations (like outlined above) is very fashionable and get the pretty teens to do it. Ugly teens will follow and so will adults cause they want to be IN.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Yooper3.1

but it still shocks me sometimes that one party has turned something as basic as wearing a mask to prevent the spread of a highly contagious and deadly disease into a partisan issue.

We need a conservative movement in favor of mask wearing right now or many tens of thousands of Americans are going to needlessly die.

What's even more surprising (as I mentioned before) is that it is the party that calls itself "pro-life."  It should be easier for them to figure out the wisdom of giving up some freedom and accepting inconvenience to save the lives of the most vulnerable.  Instead, they've turned to "my body, my choice" (regardless of who it harms).