The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm used to how stupid our politics is but it still shocks me sometimes that one party has turned something as basic as wearing a mask to prevent the spread of a highly contagious and deadly disease into a partisan issue.

I agree with this, but they definitely botched the messaging early on when they said masks don't make a difference. Hell, even the WHO didn't recommend masks until just a couple of weeks ago.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mikeymike

Totally. I know Fauci said part of that was that due to a shortage they didn't want to create mass buying that would divert masks from frontline healthcare workers but they definitely botched the messaging. Job 1 of our public health ecosystem should be to publicly own that mistake and hammer the messaging that masks are hugely important to stopping the spread and opening the economy.

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Totally. I know Fauci said part of that was that due to a shortage they didn't want to create mass buying that would divert masks from frontline healthcare workers but they definitely botched the messaging. Job 1 of our public health ecosystem should be to publicly own that mistake and hammer the messaging that masks are hugely important to stopping the spread and opening the economy.

If the administration took any effort to broadcast a message of "we're all in this together; help your fellow american;  6ft as patriotic duty", they could have easily sold it as a patriotic duty to make your own mask, and save the N95 masks for the front-line.

Alas, this is not in this administration's toolkit.  They think transactionally.  They think selfishly.  And so the message they sent out was to prevent selfishness, which as we saw from toliet paper, probably wasn't far off the mark.

Public health policy also has the difficulty of conveying simple messages for complex sliding scales of risk.  From what I understand, 6ft is better than a mask -- it's also free, in infinite supply, and doesn't suffer from poor usage practices.  As a public policy it is a better health policy.  But Mike is right, the messaging was botched.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2020/jun/24/sisolak-nevada-to-require-face-masks-in-public/

if anyone plans on going to Nevada bring a mask. You’re required to wear it in public everywhere. I think New York did something like this too.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Yooper3.1

If the administration took any effort to broadcast a message of "we're all in this together; help your fellow american;  6ft as patriotic duty", they could have easily sold it as a patriotic duty to make your own mask, and save the N95 masks for the front-line.

Alas, this is not in this administration's toolkit.  They think transactionally.  They think selfishly. 

Perhaps President Trump would be more receptive to a young attractive woman with a cute Slavic accent:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNo_IOPOtU&t=5s

an amazing likeness

if anyone plans on going to Nevada bring a mask. You’re required to wear it in public everywhere. I think New York did something like this too.

Yeah, you might want to put on a mask and hunker down a bit...looks like things are heading up the graph in your corner.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

rlopez

You should be wearing a mask pretty much everywhere.

pepperjack

pie man

New cases in Nevada - 497, new cases in Clark County, 397.  Not sure you need to be wearing a mask in Battle Mountain or Fernley...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

dhuffman63

Trails

Even better the orange menace wants to take away health insurance during a pandemic AND from all those who lost theirs due to layoffs"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-obamacare-supreme-court-overturn-affordable-care-act/?fbclid=IwAR2iy-wShyvVYoyuxMsknWiqBADzfGZodu2BDKijR0fn-lREsOzl94tbeoj4

pepperjack

pie man

I'm sure the Supreme Court will get right on that...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Daughter's delayed college commencement ceremony has been officially canceled.  100% expecting, but getting the official word was still hard on everyone.    We had to pay for the hotel room ahead of time, but at least they agreed to give everyone refunds.

New cases in Nevada - 497, new cases in Clark County, 397.  Not sure you need to be wearing a mask in Battle Mountain or Fernley...

If you're in Fernley you should probably have been wearing a mask all along, even before Covid.

(I grew up in Sparks)

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Hey! I might have caught it!

Felt crappy waking up yesterday and it got worse as time went on, I've been in bed since noon yesterday. I'm sitting up at my desktop now, but still not feeling well. No coughing, but a fever and lung infection pain like angina (but wrong area, and now it's gone), no trouble breathing. It might very well be something else, but I don't know what. I've been pretty careful, so something less contagious doesn't seem possible. There's free testing sites near me, if I feel good enough to drive tomorrow I'll get a test.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I wouldn't be that excited if I caught it, but congrats?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Man flu?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)