The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

if being recovered makes you medically exempt from wearing a mask in public?

I cannot foresee a medical reason why someone no longer affected by the virus would benefit themselves or others by wearing a mask (assuming re-infection from the original or variant of the virus, isn't possible).  I am curious what you propose for verification that a person without a mask is of this status.  Would probably have to be quick, cheap, portable, easily performed my untrained people and not easily forgeable.

"Trust, but verify"

Of course, there is also a social benefit from seeing others helping their fellow Americans by complying with a beneficial social policy -- even if they are personally exempt.  "Modeling good behavior."

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There remains no good evidence that recovering from COVID-19 protects you from getting COVID-19 again, or from shedding the virus again.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

There remains no good evidence that recovering from COVID-19 protects you from getting COVID-19 again, or from shedding the virus again.

Ah, well that's pretty decisive then.  Nobody benefits if we get ahead of ourselves on this.

I guess Brewer is imagining a future, when we have good evidence, what a good policy would be.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I cannot foresee a medical reason why someone no longer affected by the virus would benefit themselves or others by wearing a mask (assuming re-infection from the original or variant of the virus, isn't possible).  I am curious what you propose for verification that a person without a mask is of this status.  Would probably have to be quick, cheap, portable, easily performed my untrained people and not easily forgeable.

"Trust, but verify"

Of course, there is also a social benefit from seeing others helping their fellow Americans by complying with a beneficial social policy -- even if they are personally exempt.  "Modeling good behavior."

Same verification process required for those who have a medical condition preventing them from wearing a mask. This is why I asked the question. Maybe someone who is involved with internet discussions has experience with being exempt. I don't think Costco is allowed to ask for medical information to verify you're not required to wear a mask. I doubt they would since during their "senior only hours" plenty of people walked in that weren't even over 40 and senior hours are "55+ only." I guess it would be an honor system. Just like those speeding limits people model good behavior around. You know....go the speed limit when there is a cop that can verify your speed, and until then just trust the people flying past you are going the speed limit according to their speedometer. I just figured if you've been recovered, with the focus the news seems to have one recovered and dead people, it would exempt you.

I guess "hey I have antibodies against COVID19" is different when you've created them vs when a scientist created them in a laboratory. If antibodies don't provide long term immunity I might want to get accustomed to no social gatherings and no races going on for the rest of time. A vaccine won't be good enough because the flu vaccine doesn't stop flu deaths and less people have died from COVID 19 in the statistics provided than the flu. I'm hoping a vaccine doesn't get developed so people stay away from each other. COVID 19 has done wonders for public spaces.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I guess it would be an honor system. 

So, I guess what you're saying is that it couldn't possibly work.   Sounds like a blanket policy w/o logical exemptions, is really the only way to go forward.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No shit?  Wow...you should be standing next to Trump and telling America this. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

So, I guess what you're saying is that it couldn't possibly work.   Sounds like a blanket policy w/o logical exemptions, is really the only way to go forward.

Yes if antibodies earned from recovering from the virus aren't a valid medical exemption from wearing a mask I don't understand how being given a shot of the virus so your body will build antibodies to the virus is a medical exemption from wearing a mask, socially distancing, keeping nigh clubs closed, limiting public gatherings, closing down travel to non-resident citizens, and altered public school schedules for the safety of society. Recovering from COVID 19, weather from an injection inducing a natural process in your body or getting the disease, should be treated equally as being recovered. I'll probably not be privileged enough to get access to the vaccine due to my demographic being "not the elderly or children."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll probably not be privileged enough to get access to the vaccine due to my demographic being "not the elderly or children."

Wow, it must suck not being part of an at-risk population, huh?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yea, I think the goal will be to vaccinate everybody.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wow, it must suck not being part of an at-risk population, huh?

Who says I am not at risk? I don't know what kind of image you've created of me based off some words I typed on the internet and labels people applied to me.

I'm socially distancing, washing my hands, avoiding large gatherings of people, not interacting with people who I don't see and haven't seen at least weekly if not daily for the past 6 years, and doing everything else the government tells me to do. Why do you have to be so accusing towards me? All I said was I'm not in the group of people typically given vaccination priorities. Maybe I had it back in February like this lady and recovered which is why I didn't catch it in March or April when it became important to not wear a scarf over my face or race out and buy every single nitrile glove and mask available. If I did and I've recovered I'm probably not part of the at risk population who has antibodies against it, and yet I still need a mask because apparently being recovered doesn't make you medically exempt from wearing a mask to help stop the spread of COVID 19. You know, because those antibodies don't last forever which is why there is an annual vaccination for the flue and we still get tetanus shot boosters.

Maybe I need to start a protest and draw attention to the social injustice of something something because the internet person think I'm upset.

trent: yeah, we can't even get vaccinations mandatory for polio due to outbreaks. Good luck getting one for COVID 19 as long as the internet is around. Aren't you aware vaccinations cause autism?

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Trent what type of medicine do you practice?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Who says I am not at risk? I don't know what kind of image you've created of me based off some words I typed on the internet and labels people applied to me.

All I said was I'm not in the group of people typically given vaccination priorities.

~ Sarah Kay

Running Problem

Problem Child

forgive me. I shall clarify.

elderly and children are given the vaccinations first typically.

after that the general public is given the vaccination.

SO yeah.....I'm in the "not at risk" population including probably 75% of the population. Are you included with the "not at risk population" of elderly and/or children  zoom zoom?

Good thing we want mandatory vaccinations. These 108 people could be out there spreading it still. Seriously people like this disgust me to think they're out there acting like they're immune. I'll be they're pissed off after having the virus they have to protect themselves and it's for our safety.

VDOT 53.37 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you included with the "not at risk population" of elderly and/or children  zoom zoom?

I'm a stage 4 cancer survivor...asthmatic and missing a lung lobe from metastasis. My statistical odds of being alive in 2 years are low. My white cell count continues to drop. So, yes, I am at risk, in spite of not being a child or elderly.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is true that we will never achieve true 100% vaccination, but if we can get approximately 80% of the population covered with an effective vaccine that should suffice. 99.9% would be even better.

To the question of my practice, I am a general internist and pediatrician and I do research in epidemiology and electronic medical record systems