The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm a stage 4 cancer survivor...asthmatic and missing a lung lobe from metastasis. My statistical odds of being alive in 2 years are low. My white cell count continues to drop. So, yes, I am at risk, in spite of not being a child or elderly.

definitely an at risk patient. I assume you get the flu vaccine early each year, or does your medical professional not want you getting it due to white blood cell levels?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

It is true that we will never achieve true 100% vaccination, but if we can get approximately 80% of the population covered with an effective vaccine that should suffice. 99.9% would be even better.

To the question of my practice, I am a general internist and pediatrician and I do research in epidemiology and electronic medical record systems

I don't even think we will see 50% and it has nothing to do with political affiliation. Schools don't even require vaccinations so there is a large population who won't get vaccinated.

interesting background/profession combination.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

definitely an at risk patient. I assume you get the flu vaccine early each year, or does your medical professional not want you getting it due to white blood cell levels?

I still get it...though my levels were still in "normal" range last Fall.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

An honor system? In the USA?

Yeah, that'll work.

There are fake "medical exemption" cards going around.

Stores that require pants, require pants. A fake medical exemption card or doctor's note will not allow you to go into the store with your private parts all public.

Stores that require masks, require masks. A fake card or doctor's note will not work, unless worn over the nose and mouth. If people have an issue with a privately owned business telling them they need a mask to enter, they should just take their business elsewhere and not be such fragile little snowflakes about it.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Running Problem

Problem Child

Next you’ll tell me there are places to buy harnesses so you can take a random dog into a store and not be questioned because there is a law against requiring paperwork for service animals. Service animals would NEVER be taken advantage of so someone could bring their flea carrying disease infected pet into the story and portray a false image of a well trained service animal performing a service other than ‘therapy.’  

wait, do you mean like those privately owned businesses that are being closed down after following the governments requirements to socially distance their customers and require they wear masks? Damn it’s a good thing private businesses can do what they want. I’d hate for the government to be telling a private business how to operate for the safety of others. You know with all those businesses selling age restricted items requiring proof of identification being so compliant all the time. 

yeah mandatory vaccinations should be a thing. Also requirements to prove you’ve been vaccinate or else you can’t enter any government or publicly accessible building should be a thing at this point. No one will follow the law any other way.

VDOT 53.37 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Perhaps all you folks are not aware: sarcasm doesn't translate well over the inter-tubes.  Perhaps we should re-introduce the </sarcasm> tag?  I think a lot of you are missing each other on this.

MTA: too many people are serious in their stoopid opinions to know unfamiliar others are joking.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What schools require is generally decided state-by-state. For most childhood vaccines, rates are much higher than 50% throughout the country.

I don't even think we will see 50% and it has nothing to do with political affiliation. Schools don't even require vaccinations so there is a large population who won't get vaccinated.

interesting background/profession combination.

rlopez

I too am missing a small bit of lung, take imatinib, lived through a stroke and mrsa.... and I chuckle at some of the shit in this thread.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

We'll be lucky to hit 75%, at least in the first few years. People fear how quickly this vaccine is being brought to market.

A little bit back to the topic at hand given this website, at this point it's ridiculous we don't have more outdoor races. How much more evidence do we need of little to zero risk of transmission outdoors? This is no longer about the science, it's about politics, which sadly everything has become these days, just like wearing a damn mask.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Perhaps all you folks are not aware: sarcasm doesn't translate well over the inter-tubes.  Perhaps we should re-introduce the </sarcasm> tag?  I think a lot of you are missing each other on this.

MTA: too many people are serious in their stoopid opinions to know unfamiliar others are joking.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

We'll be lucky to hit 75%, at least in the first few years. People fear how quickly this vaccine is being brought to market.

A little bit back to the topic at hand given this website, at this point it's ridiculous we don't have more outdoor races. How much more evidence do we need of little to zero risk of transmission outdoors? This is no longer about the science, it's about politics, which sadly everything has become these days, just like wearing a damn mask.

Honestly, I expect it to be important this fall, and just like H1N1 fade away in importance when masks aren’t required and we joke heavily about wearing a mask for a marathon like we all just joined a new cross fit gym and want to look like the newest comic book guy. 

doesn’t matter how much or little risk of transmission. It’s always been about politics. I’ll wear a mask when people go the speed limit and stop behind a crosswalk before they drive through it. Until then their safety is as important as mine and I’ll stay home and stay safe, or run when it’s just the elderly people with their pets because in my current area they’re immune and don’t need a mask as long as walking the dog is exercise. Including pushing the dog in a stroller.

VDOT 53.37 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The real concern probably shouldn't be a rushed vaccine...but a vaccine that actually provides longterm protection. I'm not getting my hopes up, yet.

The risk of transmission during a race likely has a lot to do with the specific race. Smaller trail races are probably no biggie. Larger events with participants coming into repeated close contact mid-race (say...during a tri or a race with out-and-back sections) would seem to hold greater risk.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

rlopez

Races may be no bigs for the runners, but they seem to be kind of risky for volunteers at aid stations. Especially in ultras where they are standing in a tent for 6+ hours while runners come in and sweat/breathe hard/cough/sing and whatnot all over them.

I get that runners wanna run, and that's cool, but don't be unintentional dicks to the volunteers.

This is pretty much a rule even if covid wasn't a thing and it is.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Races may be no bigs for the runners, but they seem to be kind of risky for volunteers at aid stations. Especially in ultras where they are standing in a tent for 6+ hours while runners come in and sweat/breathe hard/cough/sing and whatnot all over them.

I get that runners wanna run, and that's cool, but don't be unintentional dicks to the volunteers.

This is pretty much a rule even if covid wasn't a thing and it is.

Okay, easy, don't have that situation. You can easily have self service volunteer stations in almost every race distance, including marathons (yeah, it's nice having my cup handed to me, but it's not needed). This shaming of runners for wanting to run and putting volunteers at risk is just a complete strawman with no scientific backing generally around the risk they are facing. Study after study after study demonstrates that there is almost no risk of outdoor transmission, especially from someone just passing through. At this point, we know the virus is much more transmissable a) indoors and b) when facing exposure for longer periods of time. That is not occuring at an aid station.

I follow the rule of "follow the science." You should too.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew as usual you throw me for a loop. Are people generally wearing masks now, or not? I did enjoy that video from that crazy Florida man today yelling at an older woman for asking him to wear a mask. But then again, Florida.